HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Ukulele Guild of Hawaii Events! (Read 22303 times)
Wokman

Re: Ukulele Guild of Hawaii Events!
Reply #15 - May 20th, 2002 at 2:46pm

Awesome Fun and Great Jig ideas!   Grin
We had a terriffic turn out...Some of the attendees were so excited about the jigs shared they went right home and made their own that night.  The food was just fabulous...Brahda Nate (Guitar Smith) busted out his private stock of home brew beer...wicked smooth!  The best part of the day was just hanging, talking story and sharing ideas and experiences.  West side boyz also came over and had a great time...Vince showed off his unreal mold that was not only functional but beautiful.  To top it off, we all made some new friends and got closer to the old ones.

Nate will be developing some pictures of the day so maybe we can get the Webmaster to post later!

Aloha,  Wokman  8)

IP Logged

mike chock

Reply #16 - May 21st, 2002 at 9:48am

a late arrival   but I'm super glad I came.....grinds was awesome...home made chicken Luau via Marylene Chun...Wokman's signature chow fun  and Tofu poki ala the newsletter...actually i come for the pupus and the rest is a bonus....Mahalos to Rudy and Nate....the jigs and special devises shared were winnahs...Nate with his mini burr specialty tools ,Grasshopper with his adjustable moulds, Herman with his spline inlay device,Rudy with his pivoting lever on his oscillator for purflin and binding reduction....Marylene with her auto stickit paper and combo chopping block sanding board...sand and sashimi at the same time...I know i missed a few but   next time check it out too. Sooo   mahalo once mo    uncle rudy and Nate     laters   ukeman

IP Logged

MIke chock

Reply #17 - May 27th, 2002 at 3:35pm

aloha guys...hey   to make room for attending the July 13th and 14th uke seminars at Windward Community College....the Bind seminar for the month of JUly will be pushed back to the next week....so instead of the 13th of JUly it will be held on the 20th....Miki's got her binding jig all ready and waiting....and I got my trusty lam trimmer on the side...could use a sample uke to route binding for...got one that needs binding...give us a call   847-1541......so will post change of date on the next newsletter as well.....Entire event cost for the Windward 2 day sessions are 150.00    early entry by June 15th will get a discount of 25.00.....so far the schedule as posted will be followed.....laters   ukeman

IP Logged

MIke chock

Reply #18 - May 27th, 2002 at 3:36pm

aloha guys...hey   to make room for attending the July 13th and 14th uke seminars at Windward Community College....the Bind seminar for the month of JUly will be pushed back to the next week....so instead of the 13th of JUly it will be held on the 20th....Miki's got her binding jig all ready and waiting....and I got my trusty lam trimmer on the side...could use a sample uke to route binding for...got one that needs binding...give us a call   847-1541......so will post change of date on the next newsletter as well.....Entire event cost for the Windward 2 day sessions are 150.00    early entry by June 15th will get a discount of 25.00.....so far the schedule as posted will be followed.....laters   ukeman

IP Logged

Ukesup

Mililani, Hawaii
Reply #19 - May 27th, 2002 at 6:47pm

Wow!
I just got back from Kona, I got to attend the West Hawaii Sound Forum. The instruments were awesome... The jam session with Kimo, Gaylord, Koekoa, and David at the end of the event was worth the trip. To Andy Berard, great job... We look foward to West Hawaii's support at the exhibition. Again on behalf of Vince, Kimo and myself thanks for the aloha shown to us. The instruments were truly awesome. Look for pictures in our next newsletter.
Grin
Norman

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #20 - Jun 6th, 2002 at 11:47am

REMINDER::::::   jUNE 8TH    at McKinley High School Workshop   we have our general membership meeting at 12 noon......a set up and action seminar demonstration via Nate Ching of GuitarSmith  and a Fret press demonstration by  Emil  Bader.....

Items available for sale  :

More master grade Cuban Mahogany sets from Bart Potter  at  75.00 per back and side sets....very curly

Koolau Gold Strings   at 3.00 per set

Auction items donated to the guild..ie     Koa back and side set

For veiwing...mockup  of an ukulele stand that we are hoping to produce for the November exhibition

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #21 - Jun 24th, 2002 at 11:28am

just a reminder.....the binding seminar for the Uke Guild is now  scheduled for the 20th of July...Saturday noon at McKinley High School woodshop....you bring the pupus and Miki Browne will bring her Binding Jig ala Luthier Mercantile....I'll bring me trusty laminate trimmer with  a rabet bit setup...and we will route away! Now you have an additional weekend to check out the Windward Community College Ukulele Seminar and workshops too!.....see ya then    laters   ukeman

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #22 - Jul 24th, 2002 at 2:53pm

aloha  people.....mahalos to Miki Browne for her fabulous binding machine. Those of you at the binding seminar got to see Miki's setup in action..the jig can be purchased completely setup at the Luthiers Mercantile or plans are avaiable for you to build your own...I   have a set at the shop too!    The router bits are indeed costly..but a necessary tool for binding. The bit and bearing setup via Stu- Mac is cheaper...while the Setup via Luthiers Mercantile is almost twice the cost..their winged bit is more versatile ..allows for  higher bindings.

If you were there you saw me with the trusty lam  trimmer...does the same job but via your guidance.There are other ways to bind using table router systems or router setups with the router cutting horizontally too.....try em and come up with your own method...Binding is always nail biting time...but more often than not all comes out well in the end. Using the hand held router  is cheaper on router bit costs since youre using any straight fluted bit versus a special winged cutter...but its best to try both ways and pick the method you like....aloha     ukeman

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #23 - Aug 7th, 2002 at 3:57pm

REMINDER TO GUILD MEMBERS.....Come september 8th  will have a central region get together at Hana Lima's Shop   718 Puuhale Road...its a Sunday...so no forget!. Bring a jig,  tool or tip that you use alot in your uke making experience and share it with your fellow builders. We did this at the Windward get together hosted by Wokman and bruddah nate...and it sure was a winnah....i got lots of great tips and tooling that was simply ingenius. A great way to spend a Sunday and ya know the pupus will be outstanding....so  mark it on the calender.. it'll be in the August newsletter as well and see ya there...or  here......aloha...ukeman

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #24 - Sep 17th, 2002 at 1:58pm

aloha guild members!...jes an update...the next regional meeting scheduled for SUNDAY THE 22ND OF  SEPTEMBER AT McKinleys wood shop will be moved to the adult education building a couple of hundred feet away...not sure what room number yet...but if you go to Lisa's woodshop there will be instructions on the door.

remember SUNDAY  AT 10 AM THE 22ND OF  SEPTEMBER

laters    ukeman

IP Logged

david chock

Reply #25 - Oct 9th, 2002 at 6:03pm

November exhibition
  On Friday what time can we enter to start set up? Tables, stands, plants if any  etc....
Just wondering cuz got to get off work Grin   ok check back later

IP Logged

david

Reply #26 - Oct 10th, 2002 at 5:10pm

thats ok I found a newsletter  that had all the info Undecided ok see ya

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #27 - Nov 20th, 2002 at 10:09am

aloha all....congadulations to all that participated in last weeks first annual ukulele guild exhibition...TRhe whole weekend went blazing by and was really well put together and the ukulele entertainment awesome.Much mahalos to Miki Browne and Vince " grasshopper " Yagi for signing up non stop high quality entertainment. The Saturday jam session with Byron Yasui on Member Dave Gomes uke bass, with Lyle Ritz, Benny Chong, and the amazing Bill Tapia was indeed  priceless! Following the jam with Uke extrodinaire Kimo Hussey initiating the action....the Jazz trio played member ukes right off the exhibition stands. Members gave a brief discription of their ukes and in turn the uke was played by  one of the three uke virtuosos.....simply awesome.  Notched this event under our belts and will now be well armed for the next exhibition which will be even better! So again mahalos to you all.......laters ukeman

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #28 - Dec 20th, 2002 at 11:09am

aloha and mele kalikimaka to all!....Jes pau our decembers officers meeting and in our january newsletter you will have a schedule of events planned for the year 2003. Please send in your 2003 renewal membership dues and get 2003 started off right! We will schedule a number of seminars, demonstrations and of course an ukulele sound forum as well! So keep those instruments going and have a couple ready for a test drive. Mahalos for the support you all gave for 2oo2 and lets carry forth that energy to 2003. mahalo ukeman

IP Logged

David

Reply #29 - Dec 20th, 2002 at 4:11pm

to all
     heres wishing you all a happy and safe holiday season. thanks for all the help, but most of all for your friendship thruout the year.
     See ya soon
                      david
                         Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us