HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Ukulele Guild of Hawaii Events! (Read 22354 times)
Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Ukulele Guild of Hawaii Events!
Feb 7th, 2002 at 7:24pm

The Ukulele Guild of Hawaii is now a reality!  For more information on events, membership, and past newsletters, please visit the official UGH website:

http://www.ukuleleguild.org

Current Calendar of Events_______________________________________

Ukulele Exhibit and Conference Organizational Meeting
February 13, 2002 5:00 pm
Mckinley High School Wood Shop
All members interested in participating please attend this organizational meeting.

Neighborhood Meeting
February 16, 2002 12:00 noon
All you builder's west of Kalihi, Mililani, Ewa, Waipahu, Waianae, etc. Clarence Uyesato will be hosting a "meet your neighbor builders regional get together. His house at 94-1039 Molale St. Waipahu (Waikele) Interested in attending? Call Clarence at 671-1890. As are all UGH meetings BSP's (Bring some pupu's) C great chance to meet builders in your area and talk story.

Sound Forum
February 20, 2002 starting at 5:30 pm.
Mckinley High School Wood Shop. Some of Hawaii's best Ukulele players have volunteered to play your instruments. Bring your intrument and have an expert play and evaluate your Ukulele. This event is for members only. (Just a hint that some of the players are Hawaii's best and they have committed to attend)
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2004 at 10:15am by Hana Lima Ia »  

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

ukeman

Re: Ukulele Guild of Hawaii Events!
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2002 at 10:12am

get this down in stone:  the Na Mele Uke Guys
ala  Byron Yasui and gang will be again performing at :
The Art Academy Theatre  on April the 19th...call the Academy for specific info and ticket availability...this one is gonna be another sellout...dont know who will be featured but he last foursome was Byron...Benny Chong..Gordon Mark  and Jake....nuff said...

IP Logged

grasshopper

Mililani, Hawaii
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2002 at 5:41am

Wow, check out this new web design and the new format for the board.   Anyways, here's the scoops to the concert.  Check out this link for the academy. 

http://www.honoluluacademy.org/theater/events.htm

Has the info on the ukulele concert as well as a Daniel Ho concert the following week.   Has info on how to get tickets.  For you lazy guys like me or who live way out in God's country and no like fight traffic, can mail in for tickets too. 

Laters,  grasshopper

PS  Love the new features of this board.

IP Logged

ukeman

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2002 at 12:03pm

yo grasshopper...thanks for the post....I'm still a bit lost in this new configuration but it is an indeed slick message board...yowza...a pink background for Valentines day and then! Will order me tickets for the concert too.  Yup theres a meeting today for the guild so I'll see ya there...love to see the progress of yer french polishing....ukeman

IP Logged

ukeman

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2002 at 11:21am

Ok did it...sent self addressed envelope to Academy Theatre.....went purchase my Na Mele Tickets in advance...for: Solo Uke with BYron,Benny,Jake and Gordon....and for Daniel HOs   gig too. Will let you know when I get the tickets back in the mail....Last time went down early on the day of the performance and was sold out...what up....but now...going do one tricky end run and i'm all set...mahalos to grasshopper for the info....laters   ukeman

IP Logged

grasshopper

Mililani, Hawaii
Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2002 at 7:47pm

Hey All,

Now that Jake has already come out to support the first UGH forum, how's about the UGH members go out and support him too.  He is having the first Jake Shimabukuro Ukulele Symposium on Saturday, March 23 at Kaimuki HS.  There are various classes being offered and a reception/concert at 6:00PM.  If you take one of the classes, the reception/concert is included.  Else I think there is a small fee, but, will have pupus and then the concert after.  Anyways, if you're interested, check out www.jakeshimabukuro.com and you can download the application. 

Laters,
gh

IP Logged

mike chock

Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 10:24am

aloha     hey  i did it...mahalos to the grasshopper once more...signed up for JakeS symposium classes...I'll be in the adult session b    time 3;34 to 4;30 on sat....got time to run from the Hana Lima class and be able to make the session...no doubt will be over my head but a chance to check Jake out is well worth it.....so all youse guys and gals out there lets support Jake and his teachings and sign up too...anytime a body is willing to share...cant go wrong..aloha kau kou   ukeman

IP Logged

grasshopper

Mililani, Hawaii
Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 1:42pm

Glad to hear it ukeman.  I'm registered for that class too.  So see ya there.

Will be getting some tickets for the March 23, evening concert from Kaz (Jake's manager) to sell at the March 9, UGH general membership meeting.  Think they run about $8, so for all you that will be at the general membership meeting, bring your $8 or more for your friends/family.  This will be a reception/concert so for your $8 you'll get a pupu reception plus the concert.  So don't miss it. 

Once again, mark your calendars.  It's on March 23 @ 6:00pm at Kaimuki HS.  Don't miss it!!!

Also, if you sign up for one of the classes, the reception/concert is included, so do one better and sign up for one of the classes. 
Later,
gh

IP Logged

mike chock

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2002 at 9:06am

aloha...the power of the postal service! Received in the mail today 2 tickets to the Na Mele O Hawaii Art of the Solo Ukulele...set for April 19th at the Art Academy theatre...ass right Its Jake,Brrrrryron,Gordon and BBBBenny   and I'm all set....no need go stand in line...jes need go.So will advise everyone...jes send in a self addressed envelop....cost of tickets and the event to Art Academy Theatre and they send em right back. So see you guys there....k den   ukeman  Grin Grin

IP Logged

mike chock

Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2002 at 9:30am

A call for volunteers....Hey you Guild Members...start thinking about what you'd like to do to help out in setting up our first Ukulele Exhibition...Yup  I know its not until November but ya gotta get prepared. Look at the announcements in future newsletters and sign up to help..we gotta make this event a GREAT one. So get your designs ready to make your entry instrument...it will be a fun and important event....laters  mike

IP Logged

mike chock

Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2002 at 11:47am

na mele hawaii  was another winnah.....mahalos to Byron Yasui for organizing this event...went hand in hand with the Art Academy renovation of their theatre so the Uke boys broke in the newly renovated facilities.The event was led off by Benny Chong and his unreal jazz stylings..followed by Byron who also played jazzy oldies, ethereal japanese melodies...i mean koto or shamisen on an ukulele? amazin....Byron also played old standard jazz numbers....After intermission   Gordon Mark led off with his classical and romantic stylings with his Rachmaninoff on ukulele and sweet Hawaiian renditions ala Gordon Mark.....this guy is smoother than peanut butter. The nite capped off with Jumpin Jake and his infectious ukulele wizzardry...There is no describing Jake you gots to be there to take it all in....his pauses are simply dramatic...and he hasnt even picked nor strummed a note.But when he does.......oh wow....the sounds are simply amazing.In a nutshell with four righteous guys it was an amazing nite.....their CD is out so buy one when you get the chance....    ukeman

IP Logged

mike chock

Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2002 at 2:52pm

Announcement:    Coming in July! To be exact July 13th and 14th....at Windward Community College....4 uke workshops...here's the schedule:

Sat July 13th...10:15  to around noon
hosted by Casey Kamaka of Kamaka Ukuleles

Sat July 13th ...1:15 pm  to  3pm
hosted by Alan Okumi   of Koaloha Ukuleles

Sun.  July 14th...9:30 am to 11:15 am
hosted by Mike Chock of Hana Lima Ia

Sun.  July 14th...12:30 pm  to 2:15 pm
hosted by Derrick Smimizu  of G- String Ukuleles

dont know much more than the dates...dont know what will be on the agenda....so    call Windward Community College to get more specifics as to cost  if any  and agenda....laters   ukeman

think the purpose is to let the public know how the uke is constructed and or any history or improvements

IP Logged

mike chock

Reply #12 - May 14th, 2002 at 3:44pm

aloha.......here's the tentative schdule for the :
Windward Community College Ukulele Workshops

Saturday July 13th, 2002

9:00 am  Opening Ceremony

10:15 through !2 Noon
a) Beginners workshop       GORDON MARK

B) Players Master Class       BYRON YASUI

c) Open Session                   BROTHER NOLAN

d) Kupuna                           SONNY KAMAHELE

e) Luthier's Workshop         CASEY KAMAKA

LUNCH

1:15 PM through 3PM

a) Beginer's Workshop        BYRON YASUI

b) Players Master Class       BROTHER NOLAN

c) Open Session                  GORDON MARK

d) Kupuna                           GENOA KEAWE

e) Luthiers Workshop          ALVIN OKAMI

3:30 PM PUPUS   KANI KA PILA

Sunday July 14,2002

8:30 Registration

9:30 through 11:15 AM

a) Beginner's Workshop      RON LOO

b) Player's Master Class      BRUCE SHIMABUKURO

c) Open Session                  BRYAN TOLENTINO

d) Kupuna                           BILL KAIWA

e) Luthier's Workshop        MIKE CHOCK

11:15 LUNCH

12:30 PM through 2:15 PM

a) Beginer's Workshop       BRUCE SHIMABUKURO

b) Player's Master Class     KELLY BOY DELIMA

c) Open Session                  RON LOO

d) Kupuna                           to be announced

e) Luthier's Workshop        DERRICK SHIMIZU

3:00 pm   ho'ike

4:30 pm    luau

CALL WINDWARD COMMUNITY COLLEGE  FOR REGISTRATION INFORMATION AND COSTS..235-7433

aloha    ukeman

IP Logged

grasshopper

Mililani, Hawaii
Reply #13 - May 15th, 2002 at 3:05pm

Hey,

Found this link to the WCC site which talks about the ukulele workshops and gives registration information.  Sign up early and get a discount.  Looks like you can sign up for both days for a cheaper price or for just one day.   Unfortunately, the Saturday session conflicts with the UGH's binding workshop.  Sad  Hopefully the guild will postpone the binding workshop scheduled for 7/13 so we can go to both days and not miss the workshop. HINT!!!  HINT!!!!  Wink  Anyways, take a look.

http://ocet.wcc.hawaii.edu/sumukule.htm

Later,
gh

IP Logged

grasshopper

Mililani, Hawaii
Reply #14 - May 20th, 2002 at 7:55am

Much Mahalos to the Wokman Rudy and Nate for hosting the 1st UGH Windward regional meeting.   Smiley  As always with the UGH events, the grinds was ono and got to meet a bunch more of the UGH members more up and close.  The jig sharing idea was a winner and got a few more ideas for some of my own. 

Mucho mahalos,
gh

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us