Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
All Things Strings (Read 8750 times)
grasshopper

Mililani, Hawaii
All Things Strings
Feb 15th, 2002 at 6:45am

Yo Ukeman,

Strung up last night with the Savarez's, the 541J, 543R, 542R and 541R that I received from this very generous gentleman.  Wink Thanks.  Got the thing cranked way up, well that's what it seemed like it cause had to really crank da bugga and the strings would keep stretching.  Well I guess they weren't meant for ukes in the first place.  Anyways, when I finally got it tuned (sort of cause strings kept stretching), started to play a little.  The sound kind of sounded more tinny and hollow, to me anyways.  Is that the kind of sound these strings supposed to produce.  ???  Well, I guess I'm comparing to the Martin strings that I've been using on a different uke.  I guess could be the uke too so will try and put on a different set and see if there's any difference.

Later, gh

IP Logged

mike chock

Re: All Things Strings
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2002 at 9:43am

hey there grasshopper san.....keep playing wid dem different string sets...and post results...like to hear what you think of them new Italian Aquila's....meanwhile still awaiting results from you flourocarbon users..aka Troy ozama..and see what the skinny is on those...word is that Martin will phase out their tenor sets will call to confirm and keep the board posted...also Koolau with John Kitakis has his Koolau Golds which will be made available to Guild members very shortly....more sets we can try better its going to be...different strings all drive yer soundboards differently so ya gotta match strings to ukes too....latr  ukeman

IP Logged

koloheukulele

Nice G-String!

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2002 at 5:32pm

Whoa I can finally read dis stuff!  Sucks using Mac wen everyone else get PC.
Anyway, I've noticed the same thing recently when stringing up custom made ukes.  The first time I tried Savarez was to replace my strings on a Kamaka and a friend's Sonny D.  The sound tended to be more mellow and a little more bassy.  But the last uke I made (ages ago) I strung up Savarez and it seemed more bright.  Then a teacher of mine Shuzo (Mike's bud) comes to me and tells me he wants less bright in his six string he made.  He did a nice French Polish by the way, plus it is the one and only uke he made.  So nice with classical slot head and tuners.  Dual upper bout soundholes.. Anyway, still beleiving they are more bassy I tell him to try Savarez.  Then we sting it up and it still sounded bright, maybe even more bright.  Heh?  I'm totally confused with Savarez strings.  On the one hand the two that sound mellow were solid koa factory ukes.  And the bright ones were both spruce topes.  The string is probably the most important variable in this sound game.  As they say "shit in, shit out"  Finding the right one will always be a game, we basically relie on what the manufacturers say and this is the only part of the game we have absolutely have no control over, other than the choice between manufacturers.  Who knows, some of those suji fishing line companies seem like they have a lot of R&D invested in them.  Hum Maybe ah?!      K-den, aJ

IP Logged

koloheukulele

Nice G-String!

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2002 at 5:36pm

Eh! I neva write "nuts in, nuts out"
I wrote "SHET in, SHET out"  Grin

IP Logged

mike chock

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2002 at 11:21am

welcome koloheboy...see   even you mac users can  use this board. On the Saverezs   been using alliance red cards and other people been using Hard tension  savarezs   ..think Sakuma sells savarez as a string combo with the hard tension strings,so can try those out too.   In the meantime going string up with the new Koolau Golds via Koolau Uke's and the Kitakis clan...will let you know how these sound too. Me likewise believe the strings the thing...hopefully get more R&D on strings and people will post results.  laters   ukeman

IP Logged

koloheukulele

Nice G-String!

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2002 at 12:23pm

Kay, just strung up with the Koolau gold strings.  Get small kind problems.  First of all if you going try low G tuning the wound one stay wrong.  I strung it up and turned my tuner like a 1/4 turn and it was low G already?!  The first 3 strings are all good.  Lound clear sound, but I think these things are super hard tension.  Trying to play fast and clean at the same time becomes hard because the things are so high tension.  Sound is strong and clear if you can live with the high tension.
     Back to the wound string.  So I crank the thing up to high G.  I figured the top would fly off the thing is so high tension.  A testament to string through the bridge it didn't break.  So I get it tuned to high G.  It becomes way to overpowering of everything else.  All I could hear was the metallicy sound of the wound string.  If you look at the Martin wound string it is way bigger than the first one.  But not on the Koolau strings.  The wound is about the same size as the first string.  I guess that's why it tunes up to high G. 
     The verdict: First three strings are all good if you can live with the high tension.  The wound string is out!
kay, aJ

IP Logged

mike chock

Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2002 at 8:58am

ahsoook....peace to you my brother....thought I was experiencing flashbacks..me  also wen string up with the Koolau Golds on a repaired martin tenor...Thought I'd be nice and change the customers strings whislst I lowered the action.After about an hour of string substitutions and like that...I wen change back to a Martin string set.  The golds gave me a similar problem on the wound bass G string. The low G was too low and had plenty flex when tuned to low G...I  also cranked up same string to High G...uke can handle but resulting tuning too rad for my ears. Tried cahanging wound G with fat nylon C...no sound good. Tried nylon E and used it as C   used fat C as G  and wound G as E...never work either......Used Koolau golds on one of my most recent tenor ukes and was positively delighted.Strings were given to me by Cente Arkangel from Kitakis...but I no remember the set up...will talk with cente and see....anyway all strings aint for all ukes...anyone else out there with similar experiences?     laters  ukeman

IP Logged

grasshopper

Mililani, Hawaii
Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2002 at 9:44pm

Okeedokee, so here's the scoops.  Just went down to the Willows tonight to see the brudda Jake jam and got the scoops on the strings.  Even scored a set from the man himself  Grin and this is what he is using:  D'Addario Pro Arte Classical Guitar strings.  He is using the J4401 for the "A" and "G" (high G) strings.  Yes, same string for both and J4402 for the "E" string and J4403 for the "C" string.  These are the Extra-Hard Tension, Laser Selected Clear Nylon strings.  He says he gets a lot more sustain out of these strings and that it will sound a lot better than the strings that I had on my uke the night of the UGH sound forum.  Checked www.juststrings.com and they sell these strings individually and they are about 90 cents plus or minus about 5 cents a piece.  So even with these can still get a set for about 4 bucks.  (Just buy a bunch and the flat rate shipping will even out.)  Will be trying them out shortly and then will post later on what my deaf ear hears. 

Later,
gh

IP Logged

mike chock

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2002 at 11:43am

wow  Diadarios huh....gee wrote the company to ask if they would recommend strings for the tenor uke at !7 inch scale length  tuned to G C E A with Gs high and /or low...reply was...since they already offer strings for the tenor uke...no  dice. But will try out Jakes string setup and see...I use Diadarios Pro Arte High Tension for my classicals....hmmmm maybe we can bulk order from the factory  if the setup works out   mahalos......ukeman

IP Logged

mike chock

Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2002 at 9:39am

WOW>>>at Jake's first Uke Symposium...he specifically spoke about the importance of matching strings to get the most sound out of your ukulele.Since each box is constructed differently some string sets will work better for some ukes than others...so its up to the maker and or player to find string sets that will make your ukulele sound the best.

Currently Jake uses as the Grasshopper mentions...Diadario hard tension Classical guitar strings. He uses the first 3 strings of the Classical set and uses another first string for the 4th...remember Jake tunes to a High G tuning and this setup works for him. When asked about low G setup...Jake said that he would then use the first 4 strings of a typical classical string set setup...but ya can always experiment. In a nutshell...lots of string sets out there....try em and post your results.......laters  ukeman

IP Logged

grasshopper

Mililani, Hawaii
Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2002 at 7:50pm

Okeedokee, so finally finished them taxes so got them D'Addarios strung up tonight.  Wow, what a difference.  Got better sus, but the one thing that really struck me was how much softer it actually feels.  Its extra hard tension, but, must be since tuning to uke vice guitar, then you don't have to stretch it as tight.  No wonder the brudda can really bend them strings.  Even strumming feels a lot softer.  The strings are not as stiff as, say, the Martins.  Lot easier on the fingers.  Sounds pretty good to me, but, not sure if you would say better, just different.  But do notice that it does have some extra sustain.  Not like guitar, but, for a uke, not bad.  I think I would go for them considering the other strings that I have already tried.    The other thing is that there's no wound string that overpowers the others so.......   Okay, so there's my 2 cents on the D'Addarios. 

Laters,
gh

IP Logged

mike chock

Reply #11 - Apr 1st, 2002 at 10:12am

hey....will try some Diadarios on my next stringing....News on the MARTIN FRONT.  Talked to the Martin reps last week to confirm their sting status for Tenor Ukuleles and this is the latest scoop. Martin does make as we all know their own string sets for the tenor ukulele..they changed from modified nylon to  cyrstal nylon a few years ago.Howevcer as of 1999 rumor was that Martin was going to abandon the ukulele Tenor string line.Well called last week to find out the scoops and here it is: Martin is phasing out the Tenor string sets...not their sopranos or baritones but only Tenors....seems worldwide tenors as far as Martin sales indicates is low in requests. So people as of today martin has about 400 sets of Tenor strings and then ass it.....thought you would like to know...ukeman

IP Logged

mike chock

Reply #12 - May 3rd, 2002 at 10:25am

mahalos to Keith Luke....Keith has taken the task of exploring the realm of Flourocarbon strings.He is now amassing samples  of various diameters to which he can begin experimenting with tention and  sound. Anyone like contribute to his efforts post a message or call him at home at: 373-2767  or e-mail   Keith-Luke@rocketmail.com         laters    ukeman

IP Logged

MIke chock

Reply #13 - May 21st, 2002 at 9:59am

Sting and News Update:    Keith Luke brought by his first attempts with the flourocarbon strings...very positive...string diameters were a bit small and that will be rectified soon...beggars cant be choosy as his mock up was from free line samples...but the string sets were very nice...so  posibilities are there. Keith will keep us posted.

Guild got a new batch of Koolau Golds....from the Kitakis  family....both in low g  and high g tunings....ifn ya interested come by hana limas shop and check it out  at  3.00 per set

Words out that Island Guitars may bring in a new line of uke strings from the John Pearse Company...this is great news but we will see if this actually happens...would be awesome for a stringmaker of Pearse's calibur to give his version of uke strings to the islands....hope its in gcea       laters   mike

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #14 - Jun 6th, 2002 at 11:40am

Just a note......Here at Hana Lima Ia 's shop we have both Koolau Gold strings for Tenor ukes via  Koolau Ukulele s as well as Martin tenor strings for the uke. Right now Hana Lima is the warehouse storage for any Guild related items......so if you  are looking for uke strings  Tenor sizes we got them..the Golds are 3.00 per set.........laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us