HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
All Things Strings (Read 8568 times)
Ukeman

Re: All Things Strings
Reply #15 - Sep 11th, 2002 at 9:43am

aloha....there s a new string set in town...brought to you all the way from Italy under the company Aquila strings....use a product called nygut and Aquila produces ukulele strings..Randy Haina  helped  make this possible..tried a set not too long ago and I liked the sound....comes in both low g or high g tunings...and in all uke sizes...interested...mayhaps the Guild can bring these in at wholesale costs....retail about 6 .00  per set...so.....write in...later s       ukeman

IP Logged

koloheukulele

Nice G-String!

Reply #16 - Oct 3rd, 2002 at 2:32pm

Hello hello again!  Been really getting into fishing lately and I've recently been introduced to Flourocarbon line.  I've still got ukulele on my mind so I thought I'd share what I've learned as far as Flourocarbon. 
     It's good for fishing cuz the thing supposedly it has almost the same light refraction as water.  An easier way to put it is that the stuff disappears under water.  As far as ukulele stuff I can't say I know much except that it's very expensive and I don't think they are made to the same tolerances as say Savarez or D'adario.  Plus since fishing goes by pound test, and they go from like 8,10,15,20,30,40 there isn't much in between the larger lines.  So trying to fine tune between the larger strings on a uke (i.e. C or low G) is going to be challenging.  But hey, if someone finds the right combo and it works, right on!  More power to your mana!  Oh a side note, for the cosmetic guys, (like me) fluorocarbon comes in all kind colors.  Green, yellow, blue, red, smoke, woo hoo!  Just like that cool Ko'olau gold stuff!
     Still a firm believer in the strings are where it all starts, this is what I've learned about fluorocarbon line from my fishing experiences.  I've learned that fishing is just like shaping.  Plenny questions and not many answers.  But we can't seem to deviate from our quest.  Working towards big fish or perfect sound, I'm hooked a hopeless ulua fighting what seems to be an endless battle.  Recently I've been inspired by my fishing experiences to shape a uke from a wine bottle and drift wood I found floating one day while I was fishing.  Hopefully will be done by November. 
Shoot-den!  aJ

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #17 - Oct 7th, 2002 at 10:42am

yo kolohe boy....glad to see you is checkin out flourocarbon ...in what ever means....here's an update. Randy Haina who has been really getin into string compositions has found a string maker using flourocarbon and is currently  ( Randy is ) putting together test batches out of flourocarbons...Randy dropped off a set Last Saturday and I will string it up this week and check out the results. Randy also helped put together the Aquilla string sets with the Italian manufacturer and I was very pleased with his set combinations. Will try our best to make these and hopefully the flourocarbon sets avaiable to all as the results from testing come in...Lots of work but fun to see that there are alternative string sets for the ukulele. Will keep you all posted as more info comes in. Never know where and when ideas from one arena....can help in another....mayhaps an ulua uke is in the making....laters    ukeman

IP Logged

koloheukulele

Nice G-String!

Reply #18 - May 13th, 2003 at 5:15pm

Hey hey, can't wait til the sound forum!  I'm very interested in hearing the Fluorocarbon and Aquila strings.  Been out of the loop for a while, but slowly creeping back into the shaping scene.  Can't wait til hear some ukulele pound!  Shoots, aJ
Who's gonna be playing anyway?

IP Logged

david

Reply #19 - May 23rd, 2003 at 4:33pm

Aloha,
        In my old age I have forgotten the theory or use of the wounded string on the bottom or the third string? Does that make sense? I have strings for high G with the wounded string. but can't tune it. I know you folks can give me a good explination of this
                      mahalo  ???

IP Logged

urusai

aka Burt

Hilo
Reply #20 - May 27th, 2003 at 9:48am

David,

High G sets with a wound string usually use it for the C string.

Steel strings are usually used for the lower notes since the steel strings can vibrate better at lower frequencies.

For example:

Low G set with a single wound, used on the G, lowest string in the set.

6 string tenor set with a single wound, used on the low A octave pair, again, the lowest string in the set.

8 string tenor set with two wound, used on on the low G and low C octave pairs, no surpise here, the lowest strings in the set.

*Note that 6 string tenors are usually strung up as (high) G single, C octave pair, E single, and A octave pair.  8 string tenors are usually strung up as G octave pair, C octave pair, E unison pair, A unison pair, (if you are tuning GCEA that is!).

Now that I think about it, I guess the 6 string is strung that way so the octave pair happen on the lowest (C string) and the highest (A string) giving a "fuller" sound. The 8 string is strung that way so you get a "guitar style" bass to treble progression.

Then again, I am just guessing so this whole message may be totally wacko. Embarrassed

Anyone have anything else to add/dispute? Wink

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #21 - Jun 5th, 2003 at 11:02am

aloha all you uke builders...a quick input via Byron Yasui head professor of musicology at the University of Hawaii and an awesome muscician, composer and teacher, has this request: how about a 5- string uke ...with the baby A string doubled but not in unison but in octaves. Feels this will give a fuller melody line...any thought out there form you builders?   laters  ukeman

IP Logged

koloheukulele

Nice G-String!

Reply #22 - Oct 6th, 2003 at 3:55pm

howzit howzit!  For all the Aquilla string lovers check this site out:

IP Logged

koloheukulele

Nice G-String!

Reply #23 - Oct 6th, 2003 at 3:59pm

Oops...
http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Himawari/9169/genkonjaku3_E.html

Some guy did some reasearch on the strings and without getting into the mumbo jumbo,  he called them the "strings of the future"  Pretty interesting stuff.  Check it out.  Shoots, aJ

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #24 - Oct 7th, 2003 at 5:15pm

Whoa that is some good stuff!  Nice one koloheukulele  Shocked

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

koloheukulele

Nice G-String!

Reply #25 - Nov 24th, 2003 at 3:50pm

Whoa!  Just had another crazy idea about string material.  Was watching a show about Japanese artists (that also happened to have a luthier in it), anyway there was a lady on there that used fiber optics to make lighted artwork.  I saw here working with the stuff and it looks kind of like fishing line, nylon stringish.  I wonder how sound would travel through those suckers!  Light seems to go right through.  Hmm?  Probably expensive though.  Just a thought, wouldn't know where to get my hands on some anyway.  Can't stop me from dreaming though.  Shoots, aJ

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us