Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Inlay Stuffs (Read 33580 times)
koloheukulele

Nice G-String!

Inlay Stuffs
Apr 3rd, 2002 at 3:47pm

Inaly Stuffs
     Ideas, secrets, techniques, tips, tricks, materials, anything about inalys/rosettes drop a line here.

Just finished a big inlay top bout treble side.  Had problems with wood warping.  Braced with spruce, better, but still warpped shoto.  Anybody doing inlays at the upper bout treble side had similar problems?  Will it hold up when I box up or will it sag?

As for tips I would say No Scared, Just Press, and learn how fo squint your eyes real hard!  One tip foreal, when coming up with things to inlay I look at magazines.  I take a picture I like and photo copy it to black and white.  Then cut um up and glue to the wood or what ever I'm using.  The rest is open to your mind and your patience.  Good Luck that's about all for now.
     Kay, aJ

IP Logged

oscarskoi

ewa   westloch
Re: Inlay Stuffs
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2002 at 8:30am

yep  got to go slow and listen to slow easy kine music so you no go fast an rip. Cheesy as for squinting I ordered the headband magnifier, looks kind of funny but it works real good then you going always  use it, say mike whens the inlay class sign me up

oscarskoi  
IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2002 at 9:26pm

Just a reminder...

For those of you interested in seeing some custom inlay and Rosette work, there will be a demonstration held this Sunday, April 21st 1:00 p.m.   at the Hana Lima shop (718 Pu'uhale rd.)

Vince Yagi and Mike Chock will be setting up some samples and insight.  Bring your own pupus and get comfortable for an afternoon of Ukulele detailing. 

*This event is open only to Ukulele Guild of Hawaii members.... Please call Mike ahead of time: (847-1541)

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

MIke chock

Reply #3 - May 21st, 2002 at 10:09am

Heres an inlay tip as far as tools go....Son Asa has been inlaying like a bat out of hell...using his art background to his advantage...Here's his tip:   Get yer design and transfer outline onto workpiece...scribe jes inside of traced line with exacto Knife or single edged razor...then route out design with Dremmell using a clear plexi base...can see mo bettah  and a small air blower...da kine for fish tanks...really helps to blow away dust..hard to blow wen get dust mask on. On Dremell we use a sixteenth inch spiral bit.

the inlay part is cut out with a jewelers saw...slowly and vertically up and down stroke....make the inlay part first...then  scribe to workpiece.....route jes to the scribe line........insert inlay....should be a bit big....can use small kine dowels...wrapped with sandpaper to slowly sand away tight spots along perimeter of the routed piece....fit till tight.                 later  ukeman

ps  the burr bits for the dremmell  ....not so good...use the spiral bits

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #4 - May 27th, 2002 at 6:50pm

Hey all, creating an inlay is a nice balance between designing and doing.  Once you have an idea you want to go with, it's good fun to see it transformed into a tangible object... ahhh, there is something about wood.

Here's the Dremel/fishpump blower setup.  I still have to clear the dust away every once in a while but the fishpump keeps the dust off the pattern line and thats what counts.
working from the inside I slowly work my way to the edges of the design untill about half a bits width away...  Then clear out all the dust and make one final pass from right to left.  The last little bit just peels aways and you get a nice clean edge and uniform depth for the inlay piece.

This is a recently finished 'Taro' inlay...

stuck inside....  

P.S.  I didn't do this taro sucka in one day..in fact took 5 days.  It's really hard to rush something like this cause it's too picky and too easy to make a mistake...it can make your eyes sore very fast and if yer not paying close attention...whoops sanded too much etc..start-over.  I just went real slow and took plenty breaks.  Hopefully it gets faster with experience.... we'll see  Grin

.....Should be posting some pics of the latest projects down at the shop soon.

-asa
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2009 at 4:42am by Hana Lima Ia »  

WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

grasshopper

Mililani, Hawaii
Reply #5 - May 28th, 2002 at 5:38pm

Hooooooo Awesome Smiley  Very nice and looks so clean too.  And such original ideas.  Post  the ika too when you pau and get time.  One of these days when I get really, really inspired (and some talent wouldn't hurt either), then maybe, but till then......... just gotta stick to the same old  Embarrassed .........

Keep up the awesome work and I like see the finished uke too.  If anything like the inlay, going be awesome.

Later,
gh

IP Logged

oscarskoi

ewa   westloch
Reply #6 - May 28th, 2002 at 8:23pm

wow thats good stuff   talk about patience would like to see the finish product  too    awesome

oscarskoi  
IP Logged

oscarskoi

ewa   westloch
Reply #7 - May 29th, 2002 at 8:35pm

WOW some awesome stuff  Shocked stopped by the shop today to check it out   and  ........ wow what can I say  good stuff
the uke stands look great also

oscarskoi  
IP Logged

bighawaiian

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2003 at 1:32pm

I get 1 question about the bits you guys use for rout the inlay grooves the spiral kine or down cut bit I guess thats what its called? get that over here in honolulu or gotta order from da mainland?

Mahalo Grin

IP Logged

grasshopper

Mililani, Hawaii
Reply #9 - Jun 1st, 2003 at 8:46pm

Yo Beeg K,

Hea, try look dis site.  http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=SERVE&ITEM=catalog/sku.html&S1=T...;
Some bits from stewmac....easy fo orda online and no need worry about credit card.  Like I tell everybody, when you orda online, jus make sure the http get one "s" like "https".  Dat means its a secure connection.  Dats on the part wea you put your credit card #.  Maybe get bits on dis rock but I don't know wea.  Anyway, easy fo orda online and stewmac ordas cum in less dan 1 week, even wit the cheapest shipping.   Da bits kina expensive  Cry  but betta dan doing um wit 1 chisal.  You can check out www.lmii.com too.  You probably like get different sizes too cause you like the small ones to get in the corners and edges.   The bigga 1s you can use fo hog out da middle parts.  So you probably like get a bunch of sizes even if cost some $$$.  Or you can digum out wit 1 chisal.  Good luck on your inlays and no forget post um on dis site so us guys can check um out.

Lata,  gh

IP Logged

david

Reply #10 - Jun 1st, 2003 at 8:50pm

yo grasshopper
            you da bes    Grin

IP Logged

bighawaiian

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Jun 2nd, 2003 at 7:12am

Mahalo Nui  Grasshopper I goin try get em Grin

I show you guys when pau

Da Beeg kanaka

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #12 - Aug 4th, 2003 at 10:36am

Whoa, I missed all that completely! Thank you Grasshopper for your excellent response. 

Yep, sorry for the delay Big H...we do indeed use the spiral type bit for the dremel.  It gives a nicer cut than the straight type, but both will work fine.  The dremel is moving so fast it just eats up the wood.  In fact, here are some pictures of the dremel and routerbase attachment we use:
...  ...

Back view of the hightech 'micro' adjustment system..

Close up of the spiral type bit we're using

More inlay pics soon....
-asa

WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #13 - Aug 4th, 2003 at 2:14pm

One postscript to asa's response...you can add a portable air pump with one 1/8th inch plastic hose and tape the hose to the dremell..will blow away all the dust you are hoggin out with the dremmell and can see much better....one simple air pump from a fishin supply should cost under ten dollars with the batteries...beats blowing especially when ya got a dust mask on....have fun inlaying  laters ukeman

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #14 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 7:27pm

hello out there! Thought I'd drop a line of encouragement and advice on this art of Inlaying...its really a lot of fun, very anal, yet very satisfying. Its fun to pick out and execute a design and have it embedded in your piece for all to see. Makes the uke very special and keeps the creative juices flowing. My advise is to start an inlay right away but use a scap piece of 1/4 " ply as your trail sheet and pick out a scap piece of veneer and draw some designs., on paper..copy the design with a copying machine, glue the copy on a veneer piece and..use a jewelers saw and practise the cut and you will be surprised how controllable the saw is.Keep your saw blade vertical...cut up and down and stroke lightly and follow the outline of your copy. Touch up the cut out piece with needle files or fine sandpaper.

Now trace your cutout piece on to the ply practise board ..to create a fine line I bevel the lead on me mechanical pencil with 220 sandpaper and draw a fine rim line. I use a single edge razor blade to score the outline a shade inside the pencil line.Repeat the score line several times to get it a hair deper everytime...now when you chisel or dremmell the shape it will peel away nicely before you reach the scoreline..if the dremell hits the line you will go beyond the line and be a bit wiggly...secret is to stay inside the scored line and make sure the score line is cut a tad deep....If ya did this right the piece will not fit in the recess but be a tad tight....ass nice..now you can either work the piece bit by bit with files or sandpaper or work the recess bit by bit.. various sized dowels with sandpaper wrapped on its ends make nice sanding nibblers to follow a curved outline..take your time and it will fit right nice....anyway..best to jump in and get wet and you will find that it is not all that difficult...later   ukeman

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us