Re: Inlay Stuffs
Reply #15 - Aug 14th, 2003 at 3:34pm

anyone know anything about turquoise chip inlay?  cheers,
-Matthew

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #16 - Aug 14th, 2003 at 4:59pm

hey mathew...here's a method i used for crushed coral rosette inlays... start with a thick soundboard and route the rosette channel to the depth and thickness of your choice. .layer a coat of crushed coral or turquoise chips into the channel and arrange the bits so that they are as uniform as you can get it and covers all the routed channel...wick in thin super glue into the channel over the layer of inlay bits and let dry...continue layer on layer until you are level with the soundboard...you can now fill the voids with coats of superglue...(many) or with a mixture of clear resin and catalyst...puncture the bubbles with the tip of a sharp needle....now heres the cautious part...as you sand to level your rosette..the tiny particles of inlay bits can breakfree and lodge twixt the soundboard and sanding block and cause scratches...so start your inlay work on a thicker than normal soundboard and you'll have more sanding room for scratch removals...also sand carefully and blow out the debris often....the result is stunning and pretty easy to accomplish....another substitute material is a product called Inlace...sold at most woodcraft supply stores..its a 2 part mixture that simulates stone colors and patterns and applies like a resin into a routed channel...get out yer piece of ply and practise a rosette pattern with your turquoise bits...should come out right nice..tho i suspect the turquoise with require lots of sanding.....hope this helps...ukeman

ps...any voids after finish sanding can be filled with coats of superglue and careful sanding and scraping.

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #17 - Oct 21st, 2007 at 1:37pm

Howdy all,
  Can anyone tell me where I can get a base like this for my Dremel?  I know it is probably customized.  Can't seem to figure out how to attach the Dremel to the clear plastic without paying way too much money.

Thanks,
Lefty

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #18 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 8:19am

Just me again.  Looking for a response to that age old musical question..."Where can I get a Dremel base like this."  I can't find it at the Dremel web site.

Thanks,
Lefty

IP Logged

Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
Reply #19 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 11:44am

I made my own from 1/4" lexan.  A 3/4" female pvc connector will screw onto the end of the dremel.  This is glued into a piece of lexan.  Merely connect this piece to a base piece of lexan with a couple of panhead stainless steel bolts.  The base piece will have a hole cut in it for the bit to pass through.  Regards Likeke

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #20 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 5:15pm

Likeke,
  Thanks for the tip.  I will give it a try.   Cheesy
Lefty

IP Logged

Erfunden

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reply #21 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 7:19am

I have an inlay question.  Can you inlay with metal instead of wood or shell?  I suppose you could inlay things like the head with pretty much anything.  But would metal be too heavy or stiff to use on the soundboard without effecting the sound in someway?

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #22 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 12:01pm

Lefty:

Look at the Sears Plunge Router Attachment ($29.99).

Plunge mechanism works well and depth stop is great.  Visibility of cut is good with the clear base and opening.

Edge guide is okay, but could use fine adjustment feature.  Perhaps replacing smoothe rod with threaded rod and stop nuts.

Circle cutting guide is totally useless for ukulele rosette cutting.  You can't adjust the radius of the cut down to 1 1/2 inches for a rosette inlay. Also, pivot pin fit is sloppy and needs to be redrilled and replaced with a good fitting pin.

Don

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #23 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 11:04am

Hi Don,
  Thanks for the tip on the Sears Dremel base.  I will check it out.  In the mean time I took Likeke's tip and made a base out of a 1/2" pvc fitting and some Lexan type material.
Here are a few photos...

I hope these photos post.

Lefty

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #24 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 11:10am

Here is an adjustable base I made for cutting rosettes and sound holes.  The piece of wood sticking out of the base is "T" shaped and slides in and out.  It can be locked into position by tightening the cap screw on the top of the base.  This goes through a "T" nut and locks the wood.  On the bottom of the wooden strip is a centering pin that goes through a hole in your soundboard and into a work board.  Hope that makes sense.

Lefty

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #25 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 12:31pm

Lefty:

Like your version of Likeke's base.  Nice and simple.  How do you adjust depth -- loosen and lower the bit or twist the router in the pipe sleeve a tad?  Wish I had seen this before I bought the Sears base, which can also be gotten from cpodremel for slightly less than Sears charges.

Nice looking circle cutting guide.  Very professional looking.  Looks like a laminate trimmer and 1/4 inch bit installed.  If you need 1/8 spiral cutting bits (either up cut or down cut) that fit 1/4 inch shaft routers, a good source is MLCS Woodworking (www.mclswoodworkinjg.com)

Price is reasonable and shipping is free.

Question for Lefty and the group:

For cutting rosettes is it better to use a down cut spiral bit (to avoid fuzz on the surface edges) or up cut spiral bit (to help remove chips from a narrow 1/8 inch rosette trough)?  I have both bits, and am leaning toward the down cut feeling the chips will be discharged behind the cut.

Don

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #26 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 12:34pm

Lefty:

Oops, typo in email link.  Should be

www.mlcswoodworking.com

Don

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #27 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 7:28pm

Howdy Don,
  Thanks for the kind words.  To adjust the depth of cut you have to unscrew the Dremel from the base and change the bit height by loosening the collet.
  What I do is put the bit in the collet and just hand tighten.  Then screw on the base and check the height.  Of course it's wrong, so I remove the base.  Before I loosen the collet I make a mark on the bit with a Sharpie where it enters the collet.  Then loosen and try again.  The Sharpie mark gives me a reference point.
  Once I have the right depth I tighten the collet with a wrench and "Get er done."

Thanks for the tip on the bits.  As far as up or down spiral, I use the down spiral.  If there is going to be any tearout I would rather have it on the inside of the soundboard.

Thanks again for the info,
                    Lefty

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #28 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 4:02pm

Help needed!

I purchased the abalone rosette from Hana Lima.  Very nice rosette, but the ends of the rosette pieces are random cut, and need to be reshaped to fit the rosette radial lines.

What is the best way to cut or sand the ends of the one inch long rosette pieces to make a continuous ring?

Don

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #29 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 4:27pm

aloha don, the ukeman keeps things simple...a sanding block with 120-grit and deft strokes will handle the end s with no problem...and quicker than you think as well....laters ukeman

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us