lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Re: Inlay Stuffs
Reply #30 - Dec 16th, 2007 at 3:20pm

Hi Don,
  Here is what I did for my rosette. 

I cut two channels into a scrap of wood with my rosette base.  I then cut off half of one of the rosettes. Slip a piece of the rosette material into the half circle and sand off the edge with a sanding block.  Works like a shooting board.  I was amazed how easy it was to sand.  I was very happy with the fit.

Hope this helps,
     Lefty

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #31 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 4:08am

Lefty:

Nice pictures and great planning.  I did the same thing (half circle) but without the second holding ring.  Its amazing how well the pieces fit together with this simple jig.  I used a padded sanding block on the first end I tried, but it left a slightly rounded cut, so I switched to 120 grit on a wood block and it worked great and fast.

Have to go out today and get some thin super glue to glue the abalone into the top.

Don

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #32 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 8:08pm

Don,
  Glad to hear it worked.  Yep, I used a block of wood with no backing.

Lefty

IP Logged

Wood_Butcher
Junior Uke

Without music, the world
would Bb.

Lake Stevens, WA
Reply #33 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 2:08am

Lefty,

Was checking out the post with your rosette cutting jig.  Could you tell me what tool you have that mounted on?  Talking about the orange one with the clear base.  Looks like a good tool.  Are you happy with it?

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks, Mike and Asa!

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #34 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 2:41pm

Hi Mark,
  The base is mounted on a small laminate trimmer I bought at Harbor Freight for about $19,00.  It works great.  Very happy with it.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=router

Lefty

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #35 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 10:14am

Does anyone use the Dremel 10.8 volt lithium ion router for inlay work.  If so, how does it work?  It would seem that cutting the cord would be a great advantage, particularly when making the swing for a rosette.  I always seem to get tangled in the cord when cutting rosette channels with my router.

Don

IP Logged

Wood_Butcher
Junior Uke

Without music, the world
would Bb.

Lake Stevens, WA
Reply #36 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 4:44pm

Hey Lefty,

Thanks for the reply.  I thought I recognized that distinctive Chicago orange!  At that price it seems affordable to have designated tools for each function.

Mark

Thanks, Mike and Asa!

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #37 - Dec 30th, 2007 at 7:36pm

Mark,
  For a $20.00 router it does great.  It is much easier to adjust than my Porter Cable.  I am going to buy a couple more and dedicate them for different jobs.

Keep building,
   Lefty

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #38 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 8:42am

Hey All--

The deal on these routers got even better.  I purchased this router from the Minneapolis Harbor Freight store, and it was defective.  When I returned it for an exchange today, they gave me the upcoming in store sale price of $17.99 for the replacement.

Here's a hint:  If its on sale on their web page, print the page with the sale price and take it to the store.  They'll give you the same price.

Don

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #39 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 12:24pm

Don,

Just curious.  What was defective about the trim router?

Lefty

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #40 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 5:07pm

Lefty:

The attachment for flush trimming of laminate had the screw that supports the roller drilled and tapped so it wasn't parallel to the router bit.  Also, the repalcement had a defect in the same attachnet where the adjustment bolt interfered with the locking bolt but I was able to make an adjustment to make that one work.

Other than that minor problem, its a great little laminate trimmer for the price.  If I didn't have to go back to exchange a punch where I goofed and got the wrong one, I wouldn't have bothered to take the first one back.  With flush trim router bits, the laminate trimming guide probably won't even get used.

Don

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Reply #41 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 11:02am

Those handmade dremel bases are great! 

A bit late (7 years), but this is how the installed and finished Taro inlay turned out:

Looks like a sticker someone put on there!  Tongue

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us