HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Thickness Sander Plans (Read 72972 times)
ukuleledude

UkuleleDude

Washington
Thickness Sander Plans
May 23rd, 2002 at 8:19am

Aloha all,

I have been trying to find a good resource for planing my tops, backs and sides but I have been unsuccessful so far. I have considered buying a thickness planner however the ones that do the work that I wish to do are very $$.  Undecided  I was on the ukulele guild site and saw the homemade thickness sander and wondered if any one knew of a place to get specific plans to make one?

Mahalo in advance,
Joshua
Ukuleledude

Ukulele Dude
cosmic_jk  
IP Logged

Ukesup

Mililani, Hawaii
Re: Thickness Sander Plans
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2002 at 3:56pm

Joshua,
I have copies of the thickness sander plans. Email me at ntt815@hawaii.rr.com and we can make arrangements for me to get it to you.

IP Logged

Doug Barker

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2003 at 6:30pm

I also would like a copy of the thickness sander plans, if possible.

Thanks!  Doug

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2003 at 6:04pm

aloha thickness sander guys!  just to clear up a bit for tool usages. To mill wood a thickness planer is cool but will only effectively mill to about 1/4" thick...anything thinner will probable blow or chunk out on the blades. Thus you would need a thicknessing sander to take it from 1/4" and down to whatever moves you. Norman Takeya has the plans for the thickness saqnder and several guild members have built sanders based on that plan...so it works. I use a performax 16/32 thicknessing sander and I've had this one for almost 8 years....not the fastest not the commercial wonder tool...but totally serviceable and accurate...I've milled thousands of pieces through this machine...ranted about its design flaws to the company via phone at least 3 times...Had terrific service in answer to my rants and discovered that all of my harangues was mostly my fault..Yup ya got ta get used to the take up hold down and yup..a vacuum hook up is a must.....but now...i have nothing but respect for this tool and the service it has given me for these many years.....laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Miguel Vera

Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2003 at 12:41pm

I am looking for a thickness sander but really they are too expensive fpr me, and decided to try to build one for me but need all the help I can get.
so if you are kind enough to share your experience and plans to build one I will apreciate
best regards
Miguel

IP Logged

grasshopper

Mililani, Hawaii
Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 2:10pm

Yo Miguel and all you that are looking for thickness sander information or just instrument building information,

You should check out the Musical Instrument Maker's Forum - www.MIMF.com. ;  There is tons and tons of information on all facets of musical instrument building, including information on thickness sanders, etc.  When you go there, you need to sign up as a member, which is free, and then you will get access into the Library.  In the Library, there is so much information that it would take years to read through.  Just do a search for what you are looking for.  Although it is free to be a member, I would recommend that you make the donation cause the amount of information there is so voluminous that it is like an encyclopedia for instrument makers.  You will be paying only pennies for each piece of information that you get.  Anyways, check it out.  It is a one stop shop for instrument building information, well, just about.

Later,
gh

IP Logged

UkuHead

Eh You Can Scratch My
Head?

Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2003 at 3:46pm

Aloha guys,
        This goes out to who ever made a thickness sander
I've done everything so far I just need help on the table part I read that most guys use formica for the surface so I looked around Oahu and man!! I gotta buy the whole sheet 4 ftx8 ft sheet thats to much at 40-50 bucks and thats at City Mill & Home Depot . So if you guys use formica or something different I need all the info I can get maybe I just gotta go raid one job site and barrow some scrap peices!!Smiley(nah just Joking).

Aloha UkuHead Grin

IP Logged

Dominator

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2003 at 5:46pm

Ukuhead,
Look in your yellow pages for cabinet shops.  Sometimes they have scraps that are too small for counter tops but perfect for what you need.  Here on the mainland they will give the stuff away or charge a very small amount.  Worth checking it out. 

Also, for all the thickness sander folks.  Here is a plan for a thickness drum sander.  I have read some reviews from people that made them and they were satisfied with the result.
http://www.moritzdesigns.com/

Good Luck,
Dominator

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2004 at 6:51pm

Just wanted to through out a big Aloha and Maholo to Norman from Ukulele Supply of Hawaii for sending me the plans for the drum sander.  I completed it a couple of days ago and am pleased with the results.  Need to build a side bender and a couple of other small jigs and then I can start my first mahogany tenor.  Can't wait.  Here is a picture if I can figure out how to do it.  Dominator

IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reply #9 - May 15th, 2004 at 6:44am

Really nice work Dominator. Nice and sturdy, as well as precise.
I wish I had the patience to do something like that.
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - May 18th, 2004 at 2:31pm

Thanks Jesse,
You have much more patience than you are giving yourself credit for.  You have to have patience in order to turn out the creative ukuleles that you are.  So I don't buy it (LOL) Grin

IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reply #11 - May 18th, 2004 at 5:19pm

Aloha Dominator,
I have found any number of ways to avoid buying/building a thickness sander, but having one means you can work with more varieties of woods, plus allowing you to mill local woods.
I have used a hand power plane, a jack plane, an orbital and finish sander and the belt sander to thin sides and tops, but your machine is the best way.
Your first uke is really nice. I am partial to simple ukes with basic wood combinations, more in keeping with island sensibiliites. Pearl, abalone and fancing inlay are just extras that make you not want to take the uke to the beach!
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #12 - May 18th, 2004 at 10:22pm

Dominator, that planer looks great- I have yet to get the plans, but I am. Mind if I ask how much you wound up putting into it relatively speaking. That's a great shop addition for sure.

Luckily I have a base made exactly like that I got from some plans in a woodworking magazine a year or so back.. which I use to cut foam airplane wings, so it should work perfectly and same me some time.

Thanks Hana Lima 'Ia and Asa!
WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - May 19th, 2004 at 4:18am

Jesse,
A little beach sand would probably do this uke some good Cheesy

RC,
I had some of the plywood I used for the table and the guard already laying around the shop but with buying a new motor, which was around $90 with S&H, I spent out of pocket just under $300.  I know that sounds like a lot for something that you don't even know will work right when it is completed but it is about $300 or $400 cheaper than I could buy one for.  And though it doesn't perform like a factory built machine (mainly because of not having a feed system) I am satisfied with the result.  So is Norm sending you the plans?  I can send them to you if you want me to.
Dominator

IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reply #14 - May 19th, 2004 at 6:38am

I'll look long and hard at building a sander, but Powermax sells one for $500 that sands 10" wide, which is enough for ukes. It has a feed system that consists of a sandpaper belt with a gear-reduced drive on it. 
I might just start saving my pennies....
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us