HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Not finished without the finish (Read 6219 times)
Murray

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles
Re: Not finished without the finish
Reply #15 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 7:41pm

I have a question that I haven't been able to find the answer to:  I'm making a uke with Brazillian Rosewood back and sides and a Spruce soundboard.  I've done my final sanding but the top is still dirty.  What do I use to clean it before I apply the finish?  Sanding hasn't done the job.

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #16 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 6:19am

Murray:

You may have to switch to light scraping on the top to remove the "dirt".  I suspect you have transfer of the rosewood into the pores of the top due to sanding dust and oils from the rosewood.

After you get the top clean, you may want to seal it with a wash coat of shelac before finishing.  Keep the finishing of the sides/back seperate from the top finishing so the rosewood color doesn't bleed into the top for the first several finish coats.  If you are going to use Tru-Oil, use seperate rags for the top.

Dark banding such as ebony also helps to keep the rosewood color away from bleeding into the top if that is an option at this point.

There are several good guitar books that talk about rosewood and spruce finishing problems that you may want to look at before you start finishing.  Some recommend washing the rosewood surface with acetone before finishing.  Check your public library before buying if you don't want to add to your own reference library.  If you can find Arthur Overholtzer's book Classic Guitar Making in the library, it's great (don't try to buy it unless you've got a lot of extra cash)!

Sound like you're going to have one great uke when you're done.  Post some picture of the completed uke.

Don

IP Logged

Murray

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles
Reply #17 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 7:25am

Thanks for the tip Don.  I'll try scrapping it today.  I'm going to use Tru-Oil for the finish.  would it still be a good idea to seal it with a wash coat of shellac?  I'm also going to bind it with Koa. 

Murray

IP Logged

Don_Orgeman
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #18 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 7:47am

Murray:

I have not tried sealing with shelac before Tru-Oil so others should probably weigh in on this one -- how about your words of wisdom Ukeman?

From the comments I have seen on OLF (www.luthiersforum.com) it looks like shelac sealing works with Tru-Oil, but who knows.  Try brousing their site.  You will find more builders using rosewood there.  To get the most out of this site, you'll have to join (no biggie).

Don

IP Logged

renegadeamps

First time Uke builder

Bloomington, IL
Reply #19 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 5:48am

Shellac works pretty much under everything. Including Tru-Oil

IP Logged

TwoTokens

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #20 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 10:38am

I am a relative newcomer who has done just a few instruments.  I have tried Tru oil on two, French polish on three and water born poly with a Z-poxy base on two.

For me, there is no question that the water born poly (KTM-9 from Luthier Merchantile International) is WAY easier than french polish and looks better than Tru-oil.

I use the Z-poxy as a pore filler and sanding sealer (usually three coats spread really thin with a piece of plastic), followed by three coats per day for two days of the KTM.

Wet sand with 400, 600, 1500, 2000, then rotten stone, then McGuiar's 17, then McGuiar's 10 then wax...

Sounds like a lot of work, but compared with FP it s not so bad, looks fantastic (IF you like glossy finish) and DOESN"T STINK.  Very durable finish as well.

PS I just finished finishing a tenor eight string.  How do you tune that high "C" string??  Dude keeps breaking for me...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us