Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seasoning Logs (Read 1585 times)
OlomanaRidge

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Seasoning Logs
Sep 30th, 2002 at 10:31am

Howzit Folks,

I just helped my dad trim an old mango tree.  I kept 3 log chunks to play with.  The logs (came from a horizontal branch) are from 9" to 14" (not really round) thick, and from 2-1/2'  to 4' long.  Anyone have any idea how to season these logs?  I had heard that the cut ends should be sealed, so I painted the ends with latex paint.  Right now, the bark is still on.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you.  EK

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: Seasoning Logs
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2002 at 5:31pm

yo...logman....best to seal the ends really well with your paint, or sealer, or parafin wax...If ya like you can debark the log. Keep dry and off the ground on spacers to let air flow over and under the logs..you can cover with a tarp to insure log will dry slowly. ...Or you can quarter log now..and resaw it into cants ..and space these cants undera tarp on spacers as well to let air dry slowly....gonna take awhile....slower  drying rate  with air drying....good luck...ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us