HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
UGH EXHIBITION COMMENTS (Read 5226 times)
Ukeman

UGH EXHIBITION COMMENTS
Nov 20th, 2002 at 10:45am

YOWZA!!! AWESOME EXHIBITION

Want to extend congradulations to the following HANA LIMA' IA  ALUMNI...who are now Luthier"s in their own right.

Vince  "grasshopper " Yagi.....amazing ukes with hand made fretboard inlays and French Polished Finishes.

Charles Martin and his tasty  tenor with delicate anthurium inlays twixt bridge and soundhole.

Aaron  "kolohe boy" Chock's cookie box uke with huricane resistant  joist ties...and spalted maple neck.

Norman Takeya's ukes and that tasty clown fish soundhole inlay. I sprinkled some fish flakes on the soundboard cus the fish looked so real!

Wayne " tru Oil " Nakashima for both his ukes with Elliot fan and Modified Kasha bracings....and of course his true Tru Oil finishes.

Clarence "wannabe" Uesato for his 6 string tenor and maple back and sides.

Emil Baders  4 string Koa tenor with loads of local woods ie: milo,norfolk pine, monkeypod,koa and ebony.

David Chock's tenor uke with longboard designs perpendicular to the bridge...an ono inlay with da local flavor!

The Wison Family with redwood soundboard  and paua shell rosette inlays and maple neck.

Congradulations once more as now the teacher looks toward the student for inspiration...so its really true,ya know...none teachers...only students and we all will learn with each and every uke made. Its really not how long, or how many...jes make em!
laters....ukeman

IP Logged

grasshopper

Mililani, Hawaii
Re: UGH EXHIBITION COMMENTS
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2002 at 9:12am

Hey ukeman,

You are too kind, but, thanks anyways.  Always gots to keep striving to improve.  Learn something new everyday. 

Been talking to Kimo and he came out with this idea of developing a list of parameters where the builder can and cannot absolutely control.  We can then develop and refine that list into something that we can use to evaluate and get feedback on our instruments.  Will be working on that list and maybe we can use it to develop some sort of UGH checklist of sorts.  All in the interest of improving the playability and to some extent the sound of our instruments.  Will let ya know how the list comes out when pau (will be collaborating with Kimo on the list).

Also, here is a link, for those of you who didn't already get it, to brother Curtis Takano's website which has loads of pictures from the UGH exhibition.  Not sure if it will work for all, cause someone w/aol told me they had problem with the link from email.  Sad  Anyways try it out and see what happens.  5 pages of pictures.

http://curtistakano.dyndns.org/users/curtis/Images/UGH/

Take Care all  Smiley and Mahalos to all who helped at the exhibition,
gh

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2002 at 12:41pm

mahalos...Curtis...pictures are truly wonderful..a chance to relive , in slow motion , portions of that fabulous weekend !   will bug you soon for pictures to insert in our upcoming newsletter. The success of the exhibition is a direct result of our energetic members and their participation....the whole event kinda jes happened and volunteers appeared from the woodwork and events ran rather smoothly....could be beginners luck...but i doubt it!  We jes got great people as members and we will do this again once more next year!.....

laters   ukeman

IP Logged

koloheukulele

Nice G-String!

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2002 at 12:15pm

Exhibition was mean Shocked  Can't wait till next year!!!!! 
     Following the slide show of Spain there was a question about a strange tubular thing that some guy put under his sound hole.  It's called a "Port".  Since ukes and guitars are basically speaker boxes here's a link to learn about ports:

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/ports/index.html

There's choke we can learn from the speaker world.  Don't give into stereotypes about speaker guys just blasting big bass.  These guys get down to crazy math equations with frequencies, volume, and everything.  Check it out!  Maybe someone will try what Maccaferri tried.  Chambers anyone?!
Shoots, aJ

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2003 at 12:56pm

aloha out there: The 2003 Second Annual Ukulele Guild Exhibition and Conference was an awesome, awesome event. ENTERTAINMENT: Top Notch, EXHIBITS: Inspirational and the Bar has again been raised. SEMINARS: Entertaining and Informative.VENDORS: Supplies for everyone from tuners totops to music books.    
For those who would like to check out the event via pictures log on to this site cortesy of GFUild member Curtis Takano: http://curtistakano.dyndns.org/users/curtis/images/ugh03/ugh03.html      whew     laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Curtis Takano

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2004 at 7:47pm

hey, thought it was right but my server is case sensitive. so here's the corrected link:
http://curtistakano.dyndns.org/users/curtis/Images/ugh03/ugh03.html

only difference is 'images' to Images

aloha

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2004 at 8:42am

Another reason to learn the "Copy and Paste" technique pops ..... Kiss

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2004 at 12:37am

Curious minds want to know- how did the ukefest go!!!!! And I have to say- I'm sorry I missed it. I had so much work - I forgot until I saw the flyer/poster in Mililani across from Roy Sakumas Uke Studio Sad

Thanks Hana Lima 'Ia and Asa!
WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

dkchock

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Nov 11th, 2006 at 3:02pm

Aloha all,
The 2006 UGH Exhibition came and went. Lots of great UKE'S on display,Musicians,and seminars. A big mahalo to all of you who worked so hard to put this great event together.   See you next year   Grin

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #9 - Nov 11th, 2007 at 4:18pm

Aloha All..better late than never! Here's the scoop....This weekend Saturday and Sunday November 17th and 18th at the Waikiki Beacvh Marriot Hotel...second floor..loo for the signs  is the 6th Annual 'Ukulele Guild of Hawaii 'Ukulele Exhibition and Conference...Highlight via 9am exhibition of over 40 member made custom ukes...all cool and onolicious! The Exhibition is free so come check it out. There will also be Building and Playing Seminars all Saturday (fee to attend) and at 7pm on Saturday evening and outrageous uke concert for like 10.00 or 15.00 dollars a ticket available at the door....so thats the poop!

laters  ukeman...see ya there!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us