HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power Tools - what do I need? (Read 2524 times)
Carl

I've got blisters on my
fingers...

Power Tools - what do I need?
Mar 5th, 2003 at 8:11am

Hi Mike and Asa,

Had a question about power tools. I've been trying to do most of my work using hand tools, but I'm still interested in getting a power tool or two to help me out.

I've been looking into routers, table saws, orbital sanders etc. Due to my budget, I'm trying to figure out which tool to by first that would be the most useful.

If you could have only one power tool. What would you buy? A table saw? router? random orbital sander? whateva? Or, what ranking would you place on each tool from gotta have it... to it would be nice.

Thanks,
Carl

IP Logged

Carl

I've got blisters on my
fingers...

Re: Power Tools - what do I need?
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2003 at 8:26am

Oops,

I just meant to say, "Hello" to Mike and Asa.

But the question is open to everyone in the Hana Lima forum. I'd appreciate any suggestions on power tools...

Thanks,
Carl

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2003 at 9:34am

Aloha Carl...hmmm power tools. Guess these are must have items in any wood shop. The workhorse of the power tool machinery is the Table Saw. 10 inch blade capacity and a stable, heavy base is a winnah. The blade simply goes up and down and tilts but its a workhorse for all woodworking needs.

In the portable power tool category I vote router or laminate trimmer. The router or trimmer can do a bunch of operations. It can dome a piece, concave a piece, channel, dado, rabet and joint pieces.Its a flexible tool that is quite easy to handle.

second choice items: shop tool    Band Saw

portable tool:    sander, these guys are cheap enough to have both reciprocating or orbital sanders.

Borrow a table saw and router handbook from the library and learn to setup these guys and make all sorts of accesory jigs.

laters ukeman

IP Logged

Carl

I've got blisters on my
fingers...

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2003 at 10:35am

Mike, right on... I was thinking the same thing about the table saw. Didn't want to influence your vote though.

Looks like I might fork out some dough for a table saw in the future. I'm finding it difficult to get square and accurate cuts using hand saws. My blade is always drifting.

I figured that I could use the table saw for:

1. Cutting the scarf joint for the neck.
2. using a neck nibbler jig to cut the heel.
3. cutting the frets with a fretboard jig and a fret blade.
4. making more jigs...
5. anything else??

Thanks for the info,
Carl

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2003 at 11:38am

Ok Carl....get that table saw:
now you can also make tentalones (kerfed liners), bindings, mill uke necks and sides,use the table to pound frets, use the fence and table to joint back and soundboards with stick it sandpaper on the table top. You an create a shooting jig for straight and tapered cuts and all kinds of neat stuff. Sharp blade a must and set that blade parallel to the fence.
The tablesaw is a work horse and you will find many uses for this machine.The blade will cut corian though I earmark only one blade for this type of work, and one blade only for wood. The Tenryu Gold carbide blade is a winnah tho a bit expensive at 100.00 plus.

congradulations on your selection...one down  huh!  laters    ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us