HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Custom design Uke (Read 1962 times)
Matt

Custom design Uke
Jun 3rd, 2003 at 11:26am

This Ukulele was a custom order for a member of the 'Langley Ukulele Ensemble'. The design I copied from another uke who's design was based on the Doanne Chalmers triangular body design. I used flamed Koa for the body(Obviously), which I gave a rounded dish back. The neck I made out of two halves of Mahogany, with an Indian Rosewood center strip.  I did a violin type toe, where the back and toe are one piece, giving lots of strength to the neck joint. The fingerboard and bridge are Pau Ferro, the binding and trimming is Indian Rosewood.  The finish is Polimerized Tung Oil Sealer 1 coat, and then Polimerized Tung Oil High Luster 2 coats.  This was my first 'Custom Order' instrument.

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: Custom design Uke
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2003 at 4:55pm

aloha matt...great job and love that understated flamed koa...join our ukulele guild of hawaii if you are interested we got choke builders here in hawaii and what better thing to do than swap uke info and tips. check the site at ukuleleguild.org   meanwhile mahalo for the pictures....any one else out there no shame post your photos.......later ukeman

IP Logged

Matt

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2003 at 8:50am

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2003 at 9:10am

Hey very nice!  I like it!  Grin

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us