HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Side bender?? (Read 11799 times)
Ukeman

Re: Side bender??
Reply #15 - Mar 17th, 2004 at 1:28pm

hey pipe benders and electric blanket benders...I use both methods but I forgot to tell you all that with both methods I still use me trusty blanket as a heat source.
For form bending its wood on blanket and compression sheet over wood....

for pipe bending its any kine diameter pipe I like with the blanket draped ovah the pipe fo heat....no need torch or charcoal briquets or propane or soldering irons....   ok  laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Tom Becraft

Reply #16 - Mar 23rd, 2004 at 9:53am

Ukeman:

Indeed the perforated aluminum screen door mesh does work marvelously for making a compression sheet for side-bending.  I've now used it for about 20 ukeleles in our school shop with both mahogany and curly koa sides. No more inconsistencies or breaking in the bending process.  The technique has worked flawlessly each time. Thanks for passing along the compression sheet idea.  It puts the stress where it should be, on the wood, not on me.  Tom

IP Logged

kamano

onipa'a mau loa

Glendale Arizona
Reply #17 - Mar 23rd, 2004 at 12:35pm

Aloha eveyone

I get one question from a novice builder....wen using da heating blanket.. (on da form) do you leave the blanket on all the time you are bending and using the top bending sheet.?

Mahalo Nui Loa (from da hot kine Ariz.)
Kamano

onipa'a mau loa
Kamano  
IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #18 - Mar 24th, 2004 at 10:39am

yo kamano...yup wen I bend the blanket is on....I have no on/off switch nor timer..plug in, plug out! So wen i bend its in...jes keep spray bottle handy cuz da steam aids the bending so need water for da steam....so spray away wen ya bend!....wen pau bend 2 or 3 minutes...I spray through the perforayed compression sheet and leave on for about 2 or 3 minutes den i spray again and unplug....leave em in the mold till the metal is cool...spray again and plug in for 3 minutes and spray and unplug...pau....but i leave in for a hour or so...since i not in a rush...longer in less spring back....wen ya put it into your holding mold.   .ok  laters keep dry in Arizona..ha!  get nice kine no rust american classics huh!   laters ukeman

IP Logged

kamano

onipa'a mau loa

Glendale Arizona
Reply #19 - Mar 29th, 2004 at 3:09pm

Ano'ai Ukeman

Jus get some mina problems...kokua..  I am bending a soprano yuke and I am having problems wit da small deep upper curve of the soprano.  I am using honduran mahagony cut to 3/32...is dis too tick? I am using da jig dat you folks get in da shop tips.  I am new to bending but I am a wood worka (small kine stuffs).
1) how long soak wood
2) am I bending too fas ..im using your one minute time.
3) oh yeah I wen use da heat blanket.

Shoots....dis is da 3rd side I wen mess up.

Also...have you eva use da blanket as a pipe benda..?

I was thinking (oh oh a local thinking????) can try wrap da kine and bend da wood.  sounds interesting...is da blanket hot enough???   Phew...mo betta I go Kalihi fo da school...ok...den...I I like da 95 school...

Mahalo
Kamano

onipa'a mau loa
Kamano  
IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #20 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 5:31pm

ukeman stated in a previous post that he uses his blanket with both methods-so, yep!

Thanks Hana Lima 'Ia and Asa!
WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #21 - Apr 20th, 2004 at 12:12pm

yo kamano...ok if you going bend wid da blanket heres a good process.

1. form at the ready, calmp to your worktable.
2. Make sure your waist caul not supah big...1 and 1/2 diameter is cool.
3. Get your blanket ready and put em on top form.
4. Get one spray bottle and fill wid water.
5. Get a small wood scar for pressing down the sides 1x2x5" is cool.
6. Make one Compression sheet####
This is just one thin sheet of metal dats real flexible...mine came from Tom Becraft and he bought one screen door aluminum  panel insert from City Mill and had leftovahs so I wen cut me a piece wid da scissors 5" wide by about 30' long. At each end of the sheet I wen screw a 1x2x5 piece of wood to use as one pulling handle. This sheet is perforated! cool eh...can spray water in da pukas!
7. I spray the side to be bent all over back, front and edges.
8. The blanket is on..and on top my form..I spar the blanket to see if get steam..got, so ready!
9. Put the side in and align at the waist.
10. carefully put the compression blanket over the side and slowly clamp down the waist dowel.
11. wen almost tight check the sides wid one popsicale stick by lifting up the compression sheet and measuring how far in the side is from the edge of your form...make sue the lower bout and upper bout along the same edge aligns...now you will not bend crooked!
12. Adjust side and blanket and compression sheet and den tighten waist dowel.....now nuttin moves!
13. Taking long, no worry! Spray water under the upper and lower bout and move to lower bout. One hand is pullin on the compression sheet via da handle and the other hand is smoothing down the side beginning at the waist over the compression sheet....move da block side to side and advance 1/4' at a time down da form..pressin wid da block and pullin wid da compression sheet...oh  she bend easy eh.
14. Doda same on the upper bout side...even mo slo...no forget spry water once mo before you bend the upper bout....wen pau no can see nuttin cuz the compression sheet covers the bent side....you can spray water through the pukas in the sheet. i leave blanket on for 3 or 4 minutes...spray water and pull da plug.
5 minutes later I pug in for another 3 minutes and en pull da plug...will saty hot for 10 to 15 minutes...
15 Open one side...if the side piece lift up (spring back) spray and put em back in...should get small spring back and all is cool.....ho  mo long fo say dis den to bend da buggah...no give up...try dis....laters   ukeman

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #22 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 4:02pm

Remeber the stainless steel rods and rubber bands fo da bridge? Well, I figure jigs need dual purpose right?
hehe

When making my baritone form today, I drilled 3 holes in my side bending jig to accept three 1/2" stainles steel rods (Leftover puter printer junk I "salvaged" -I gots 7 of em). I used metal door screen for the form sides doubled over (its what I had, and hey was free) and tacked in place with some old metal furniture tacks.

If anyone wants a pic lemme know-glad to take one and show it. I plan on using ruba bands again Cheesy And no I'm not "that" cheap, but I use what I got. Cheesy

I made my form like your plan on the link above (Thanks for that!) and not sure how I want to proceed next (Heck I amost made the form double wide to do 2 sides at once but nah mo betta I practice first lol)
I don't have a "heat blanket" but I do have a "heating blanket" for when I get sick (Which I rarely do) so I might see if I can put that to use Cheesy Wish me luck lol. The other option is to soak the wood for a bit and use ammonia, that will work fine, but I hate that smell and course it gives ya pele nostrils roflmao.

Thanks Hana Lima 'Ia and Asa!
WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

oglavyandtuglavy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #23 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 7:45am

Hey everyone.  If anyone has bent sides using highly figured mango, is it similar to bending curly koa-or is it more or less difficult?

thanks,
Nick

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #24 - May 1st, 2004 at 5:00pm

Aloha Nick,

Bending anywood that's curly is an exercise in patience. Your mango will be similar to your koa...the compression sheet over the side to be bent really helps but its always slow going. Deep curls have a mind of their own. I have never been able to bend figured redwood as I suspect the grain formation is just too loose...the hardwoods are tighter and while still a presure situation they can be bent successfully be going slowly and deliberately.       laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Rix

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #25 - May 17th, 2004 at 9:17pm

hi all,
i have a heat blanket and i have been experiencing some bending problems. i have already broken three mahogany and koa sides.  i try not to force it and i keep spraying the water.  i keep hearing the use of a compression sheet. can one direct to a link so i can see how that works? i just bought some curly koa sides and really don't want to mess this one up. 

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #26 - May 18th, 2004 at 5:05am

Rix,
I have not used them yet but here is one place you can purchase them.  Others just use sheet metal or roof flashing material.  Good Luck,
Dominator
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Bending_sides/Side_Bending_...

IP Logged

Rix

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #27 - May 18th, 2004 at 8:18am

thanks dominator,
so basically i would use this sheet directly under the dowel and directly over the wood? im having a hard time conceptualizing how this would bend sides better than just using the dowels alone. 
i have a side bender like the one we see on this site by the way, with sheet metal in place of the mesh. 
aloha

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #28 - May 18th, 2004 at 2:14pm

I have not yet had the oportunity to try this yet but I will tell you the same thing a great luthier has shared with me.  Starting from the bottom use the spring steel or flashing, then heat blanket, then wood to be bent, then another spring steel or flashing piece.  having the steel slats on both  top and bottom helps support the wood (hoping to prevent blow outs) and distributes the heat more effectively.  I hope to be going threw this very process soon.
Good luck,
Dominator

IP Logged

blackdog

Will take blackdog offa
your hands for free!

Kahalu'u, HI
Reply #29 - May 19th, 2004 at 2:20am

Rix... yes, the wood is sandwiched between the blanket and the compression sheet. I couldn't find any of the perforated aluminum so I just went to the hardware store (City Mill) and got a roll of aluminum flashing material and made my own. 

Just curious, where are your sides breaking at?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us