Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Side bender?? (Read 11558 times)
Rix

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Side bender??
Reply #30 - May 19th, 2004 at 8:09am

blackdog,
sorry i don't know the terminologies but my sides are breaking at the middle and at the top bend.  get it? 
man this is is so frustrating.

when you say that you made your own, do you just drill holes in the sheet?
is there an ideal gauge for the sheet?

mahalo

IP Logged

blackdog

Will take blackdog offa
your hands for free!

Kahalu'u, HI
Reply #31 - May 19th, 2004 at 9:55am

So it's breaking at the waist (the valley part of the jig) right? How are you situating the blanket? If you lay it down to conform to the jig no heat will be in direct contact with the wood at the waist area for the first bend which might be part of the problem (?).  For me, the blanket is floating in the middle from the start of the bend. So when I put the wood on it is touching the blanket in the middle. I think the compression sheet helps a whole lot in preventing blowouts in the upper and lower bout areas (the humps on the jig)...the outside bends. Did you follow Mike's (ukeman) routine a few posts up in the thread? That pretty much sums it up.

Just ask for aluminum flashing at the hardware store. Yeah took me about an hour to drill 1/16" holes every 1/4" over an area of 4"x 20". I made jig out of scrap 1/4" ply with notches every 1/4" (same theory as a fretboard jig) and went to it on the drill press. Then I riveted scrap metal rod at both ends so that I can grab the ends with a visegrip when bending. This is the first time I used the compression sheet method and I like it.

I'm just starting to get back into building.  So I'll be using this forum a little too. I took Mike's class a couple of years ago...just need some refreshing.

IP Logged

Rix

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #32 - May 19th, 2004 at 3:44pm

Yeah, I think thatís it, the blanket was conformed to the jig so the waist had no contact, shoot. Alright, ill make the necessary adjustments.
thanks blackdog.

I know that thereís a whole wealth of information here, but itís hard to follow with all that uke building lingo. 

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #33 - May 21st, 2004 at 11:44am

Howzit Rix.....
Another way to use the heat blanket on your bending form is to place the side to be bent on the form first...it will float over the valley of the waist form....den place the blanket on top the side piece. The blanket itself will provide heat as well as compression.

Drawback:
wid blanket on top no can see the wood you are bending.
wid blanket on top...cannot spray sides if dry out.

However...I know some awesome makers you use this method with great results...my theory is...try em all kine ways and the one that works for you is the one you will end up using......have fun    later   ukeman

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #34 - Jun 2nd, 2004 at 11:48am

Aloha all! Gee I forgot this small tip! For all you heat blanket benders....do not forget the merits of the traditional pipe..you pipe benders know that the sides hold will less spring back when bent with the pipe. You blanket benders know that you can get serious spring back if the sides are bent too quickly and not left in the bending form long enough to set the newly bent shape!

A good tip is to pick up a scrap length of pipe 2 and 1/2 " od is cool and clamp this section on your work area next to your side bender...overhand about 6 inches worth and wen pau blanket bending you can touch up any problem areas with the pipe...yes the TIP, use the heat blanket and drape over the pipe for constant heat source and viola you got a traditional pipe bender to play with at no extra cost...hmmm the best of both worlds for the price of one....laters  ukeman

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #35 - Jun 2nd, 2004 at 12:57pm

Thanks for the Tip!!!!
For thoise who may not know "od" ukeman is referring to is "Outside Diameter". 

Also F.Y.I. the properties of wood are such that many times I over bend just a little so the springback brings it to the desired shape. IOW since wood does have springback, if you bend a little more than you want, the springback will take care of that problem ...

Thanks Hana Lima 'Ia and Asa!
WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

Mark Roberts

Reply #36 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 4:16pm

Hi All -

I an reading that for side bending several people are recommending to first put down the thin sheet metal or mesh, tehn 2nd the heat blanket, 3rd the wood, and finally 4th another sheet of thin sheet metal.
It would appear that this layering method does not allow the wood to closely follow the shape of the side profile by the thickness of the heating blanket, since the wood is on top of the heat blanket.
Pictures I have seen of various guitar makers using the Fox -style benders ALL use (1) the thin sheet metal screwed to the form, (2) followed by the wood, (3) followed by the next layer of metal, (4) and lastly the heat blanket. This allows the wood to closely follow the contour of the form, and with the heat blanket on the outside there is less scortching and the bending happens a bit more gradually.
I would appreciate your comments, if I have gotten the previous post wrong.

Mark in Portland

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #37 - Jan 28th, 2005 at 12:22pm

Hi mark...nice talking to you on the phone...here's a reply to your question anyway!

On the Fox Bender original heat was provided by light bulbs in the form itself...3 places

The form frame was covered sheetmetal, although at the waist ponit of the frame a notch of about 1and 1/4" was made in the frame form sides to hold a aluminum bar which was in turn notched at both ends and hooked up to springs on each side to th frame where the veneer press brought down the waist caul to the frame.
This bar provided support under the sides to be bent along with waist caul pressure from the veneer press on the sides opposite surace. Way cool!

The side to be bent was placed twixt 2 sheets of sheetmetal attached at one end but open at the other to allow sides to be placed between sheets and for the side sheets to slip a bit when being bent. to uke or guitar shape.Two cauls were placed at the width of the form to mould and shape the upper and lower bends of the guitar and was held in place by spring pressure of 2 springs one on each side of each caul.

Ergo order was heat, sheet metal form, sheetmetal sandwich with wood sides as the meat of the sandwich and then caul pressure.

I guess with the modern heat blanket on a fox bender builders have modified the process a bit to either:
1. Heat blanket first, then sandwich
2. Sandwich first then heat blanket after.

I am of the blanket first, side next and I use a thin aluminum perforated sheetmetal to act as a compression sheild over the side to be bent.

Hope this helps   laters ukeman

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us