Koa Talk (Read 20118 times)
Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Re: Koa Talk
Reply #15 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 5:38am

Hey Jeff,

Mahalo Nui Loa.

That really gave me a better understanding.

So, basically, it is not saying that koa is a bad wood for a soundboard, but it would be a quieter wood, is that right?

I guess if you are going to have it plugged in like Jake, then who cares.

As for me, I only play for my family, so I would never be in a room bigger than a living room, so I guess it wouldn't matter in my case either.

Anyway, thanks so much.
Bob 8)

IP Logged

Jeff B
Junior Uke

Aloha!

Amelia, OH (near Cincinnati)
Reply #16 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 6:03am

You are correct about the Koa. Choose the woods that please you while trying to balance the aesthetics with the acoustics (and the physical dynamics). But don't go overboard to the point where it becomes a chore. Love what you do...

A bad sounding uke that is electrified and plugged in is still going to sound bad - only louder! If you use a good acoustic pickup system (active or passive), it should faithfully reproduce your uke's unplugged sound through the amplifier. So unless you want to distort the sound, choose only really good pickup components.

Placement of those components is also critical. You could spend a couple hundred $$ on a top-end bridge pickup (i.e. L. R. Baggs) but if it isn't precisely placed and attached it won't sound good at all or you'll lose certain frequency ranges. Electrifying an acoustic instrument is an art in itself.

You can bet that Jake is playing top of the line ukes with equally top of the line pickup/amplification. Wink

Jeff

IP Logged

Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 8:29am

I've made 4 ukes so far - one with walnut b, s and top; one with koa b,s and top and two with koa sides, back with spruce tops.  No question about it the spruce topped ones sound best and louder.
www.likekestrings.com

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us