HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adhesives (Read 1973 times)
oglavyandtuglavy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Adhesives
Aug 10th, 2003 at 2:28pm

There are many recommended glues for instrument construction and some apparently are better for certain jobs than for others.  Luthiers Mercantile offers "the only glue on the market specifically for instrument building" called LMI glue and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this product.
Thanks for the feedback,
Nick

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Re: Adhesives
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 10:38am

Hmmm, I would also like to hear about this special LMI glue.  I am skeptical but who knows...glues really do come in a huge range of formulas for different applications. 

We use "Franklin Tite Bond" for just about everything, but everyone should keep a bottle of Cyanoacrylate or "super glue" handy.  That stuff is a life-saver in the shop.  It flows right into all the cracks making it great for inlays and hard to reach repairs.  Just watch out for gluing your finger to the piece! (It's no fun  Tongue)

-asa

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

grasshopper

Mililani, Hawaii
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2003 at 8:50pm

Hey All,

Ever wonder what those letters/numbers on the back of your titebond meant?  As I was looking thru an old Shopnotes mag that I was just about to dump, stumbled upon this article.  The first character indicates the year (i.e., 2 = 2002, 3 = 2003) and the second character indicates the month (i.e., A = January, B = February, etc.).  They skip the letter "I" though so it is not confused with the number 1.  Like the last bottle I bought had the code "3C53H".  So I figure that it means that it was made in March 2003.  What the other letters/numbers (like the 53H) stands for, the article didn't say, but I think it may be the lot or where it was made or something like that.  I guess it doesn't matter as long as you know when it was made before you shell out those bucks, so you don't get a gooey mess that doesn't stick.  At least if we know when it was made, that should help to get some fresh glue.  Was always wondering myself what that meant and thought this would help when you are about to purchase that dusty bottle on the shelf. 

Later,
gh

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2003 at 11:34am

Grasshopper..great info on the Titebond code...always wondered how to tell if the glue was fresh because Titebond doesthicken up a bit and turn a darker color when aged..the fresh stuff is a bit more viscous. Being a chinaman this is important cuz i do have a tendency toward milking every last drop of glue..ha! Now i can jes read the code...mahalo     ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us