HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
String attachments on Kasha bridge (Read 11531 times)
john reeves

String attachments on Kasha bridge
Oct 6th, 2003 at 7:34pm

Dear all, on the Kasha bridge, as drawn in the Kasha concert plans and kindly posted to me via email by Asa, the strings seem to just disappear into the string holes without any indication of how they are attached.

I was theorising that they maybe knotted, but it would be impossible to knot and insert via a kasha soundhole.

maybe the strings are ball ended like a guitar and they just lodge undertension in the string hole, however this seems unlikely.

Maybe there is another way I am unaware off.

Can anyone here enlighten me as to exactly how the strings are attached on kasha bridged Ukes ?

thanks
JOhn

IP Logged

mike brown

Re: String attachments on Kasha bridge
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2003 at 2:10pm

John,
I have a Kasha style uku under construction and what I have done is use 8 string holes that run paralel to the neck under the bridge. It works the same way as a classical guitar tie block only layed out sideways. I have used it in other uku's and it works well but the first time you tie on a set of strings is a little strange. what's cool is the strings come over the saddle and disppear under the bridge, looks very clean.
Mike

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2003 at 5:32pm

Hi John,
This is a good question, it comes up a lot.
You're right; the strings do disappear into the string holes.  Here is a picture of what we mean:

To string up this way, you need to thread the string from the outside into the body of the uke.  Fish the end of the string out of the soundhole so you can tie a knot.  Then pull the string back out and there you have it.  Clean and sorta simple Smiley

Hope this helps,
-Asa

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

grasshopper

Mililani, Hawaii
Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2003 at 1:30pm

And some of us put a small bead on the string before tying the knot so that the bead bears on the bridge plate vice the knot.  This would tend to spread the load out a little on the bridge plate instead of the knot pulling into the back of the hole.  Similar principle to using a washer with bolts. 

Later,
gh

IP Logged

john

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2003 at 5:33pm

ahh ok thanks Asa for this explanation, I may have suspected as much Wink

The fishing of the string back out of the Kasha soundhole sounds like fun, especially for the large thumbed among us but it does seem like a solid way of doing it.

Mike, i think i can picture what u mean ( in my mind) but do you have a photgraph of this method to help clarify your appraoch.

Grasshopper, thanks for this, i will keep it in moind when i string up..

thanks again for your responses..

cheeeers
JOhn

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2003 at 11:50am

hello John......simple tool will aid you in pulling strings through the uke from the Kasha/Schneider styled bridge:
A piece of tie wire 12 inches long with one end bent to form a hook...like a candy cane's end will do the trick. Feed your strings through the pukas...at least one half the strings length...insert the tie wire from your sideport, sidehole, or center soiundhole and pull them puppies out. String a bead hrough each string and tie a series of square knots to prevent the string from slipping out of the bead and you are all set.

Technical hint:   make sure when building and placing tonebars on the soundboatrd you know where your strings will go through the bridge patch and twixt the many tonebars....not good form to drill your string holes and have them protruding through a tone bar with the bead tilting all over the place and strssing out the bars. Just a bit of advanced planning will avoid future hassles....laters   ukeman

IP Logged

john

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2003 at 5:48pm

Ahh Ukeman, thankyou for this wire tool suggestion.

Yes the sideports model sounds fine but the upper bout soundhole could be tricky.
I willa dopt yr method as its sounds tried and tested.

I will also be careful of placement when drilling holes..

thanks all for the response and advice..

regards
John

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2003 at 12:09pm

aloha John....here's another wayout..not really..jes cool and different side port method. Actually insert a small section of tubing ie: pvc pipe or oval bent sheet metal into the sides and protrude into the ukulele by a few inches and actually create a side port...The section of tubing would be the same diameter as would your side port openning....now we is getting into port basics ala speaker boxes....hmmmm.       anyhow have fun with the Kasha styled stringing and attachment method...the Kasha Schneider guitars had a trap door removeable at the tailblock...this was an idea a student of Schneider came upon....laters   mike

IP Logged

JonY

Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2004 at 3:58pm

Here you go Dom. Grin

IP Logged

stewpot1

Ukulele Fan

Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 1:20pm

Hi All,
Glad to find this posting as i was kind of wandering how this was done.
It might be a good idea to put a note on the actual plans as this caught me out (seven years later).
I also purchased the construction manual which is a great help by the way, but i now know it's not strictly meant for the Kasha design and so this didn't help here!
It would be really helpful to perhaps put a section in this manual for other styles.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us