Welcome to the Forum!

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

ukulady

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Neck ?'s
Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2003 at 9:29am

had a whole slew of ?'s and only "Hi" came up!!!????  Oh well, here goes again......I'll try just one ? at first ,see if it get posted

Concerning the measurement on the neck shaft (from second line perpendicular to the first line where the neck angle is, you know the line where the front of the nut is....are you supposed to draw a line exactly 1/2 of your scale length down toward the heel?  I'm making a 15" scale concert and on the Kasha plans it does say 7 1/2" from that line to the twelfth fret, but when I actually measure the plans, its a little off.  Is this measurement critical?

IP Logged

ukulady

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2003 at 9:53am

Opps!  Should I have put this under "Need Help" section?  Sorry, new at this!

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2003 at 10:16am

Hi Ukulady,
Sorry about your previous post, we have been having strange problems with the board.  I will have to try and upgrade it ASAP  Cry wish me luck

As for your 12th fret measurement, yes it is exactly one half of your scale length.  There is some line movement with the reprinting of the plans.  Always remember to go with dimension over scale.  If there is a measurement printed thats what you should use.

« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2003 at 10:14pm by achock »  

WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

ukulady

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2003 at 10:40am

Ok, thanks Asa!  Smiley Another ?...
(1) After you cut the scarf joint, does the peghead section go on top of the neck shaff or on the bottom. Putting it on bottom makes the peghead realllllly looooog, but when I consulted Cupertino's book thats what they do.  So I'm confused.  Glued it up that way and still have enough for the shaft, just had to cut some inches off the peghead.  But whats right?  Or is there a right way? Does it matter as long as you have enough material for both (peghead and neck shaft?)

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2003 at 9:25am

Hi Ukulady,
It sounds like you have everything correct.  After cutting the scarf joint you would glue the headstock under the neck to form the break angle as shown:

The neck blanks are a bit oversize, so you should have some extra room to play with.  If you have too much room, then you're correct to cut it down to suit your needs.  Always easier to remove material than to add it Smiley

WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

ukulady

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2003 at 2:14pm

Yeah!!!!  Thank you!!!!! Grin

IP Logged

urusai

aka Burt

Hilo
Scarf joint
Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2003 at 10:58am

Hi Ukulady,

How about thinking about your neck scarf joint this way...

If you glue the peghead on the top side of the neck, the string tension would be pulling the peghead away(!) from the joint.

By gluing the peghead on the bottom side of the scarf joint, string tension is now pulling the peghead towards the joint, or at the very least, less away than the other way.

Great picture Asa!

Hope this help,
Burt

IP Logged

Carl Higashionna

Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2003 at 6:47am

Howzit Everyone... long time no see... Smiley

Quick question about necks while we're on this subject.

I read above that the neck blanks are cut oversize so that you have a lot of room to play with, but is there a good rule of thumb for where the scarf joint cut should begin for a Tenor uke?

Should it be something like 7 inches? From the tip of the head to the angled side?

Mahalos,
Carl

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2003 at 12:09pm

Heya Carl,

Good to hear from you, hope all is going well on the west coast.  Good question!  Thank you for pointing that out.

The neckpiece included with your kit should be around 19 inches long.  For a Tenor uke you will want to have 12 inches from the heel end to the “break angle”.  You can play around with the headstock length, but 5 inches is usually more than enough for your 4 tuners and whatever headstock shape.

These are rough measurements to start a tenor sized Spanish-style neck, the actual piece will be smaller after shaping etc.

-Asa

WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

Carl

I've got blisters on my
fingers...

Reply #11 - Nov 6th, 2003 at 5:26am

Asa,

It's all good here in the Bay Area. It's starting to get cold here so I'm missing the Island weather.

I edited your neck image above to make sure it was clear that we were talking about the same length. But I couldn't figure out how to upload the image back to your server. Do I need to host the image on a server that I have access to?

Anyway, back to the original question. So your saying that I should start the scarf cut 5 inches from the top head end of the neck blank?

Here's a primitive graphic illustration Smiley

Neck blank: 

The \\ is the scarf joint, 5 inches from the top where the cut begins.

HEEL =======================\\== HEAD ==

Hope this makes sense...

Thanks,
Carl

IP Logged

ukulady

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Nov 6th, 2003 at 7:55am

Thank you Burt!!! Cheesy
Yes, of course that makes sense!  Very logical.  I don't know why I didn' see that in the first place Undecided.  Appreciate it!!!!      

And Carl....Yes , I think thats why I had the same trouble after I cut my scarf joint and then glued it on and my peghead was soooooooo long. I'm trying to make a concert  and I  think I cut my joint exactly the actual length of the peghead (measured peghead length from plan) and started cut from that point.  Anybody- is there rules or a formula (1/3 of peghead length?) to go by as far as where to start that scarf cut. Especially making other sizes of ukes.  If I was making a Tenor there would not have been enough material for the neck!     Thanks, Toni

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #13 - Nov 6th, 2003 at 8:40am

Aloha all you neck deviants! Think I can help solve the scarf joint location for all of you....

1. if you orient the neck piece headstock at the front and tail end at the rear we be cool. Now place piece on one edge
2. mark neck scarf beginning cut location like this: measure about 2 and 1/2 inches from top of neck piece and mark neckpiece on right edge..This is where the cut angle begins.
2. if you are cutting neck scarf in an angled jig using a chop saw or a table saw. Same measurements. Start the front edge of the cut about 2 and 1/2 inches away from the front end...this is where the angled cut begins....the scarf angle will continue toward the tail end of the neckpiece.
4 The finished result is 2 neck pieces...the shorter one will become the headstock..that piece should be about 5 and 1/2 inches long with angled cut...which will give you about 5 and 1/2 inches to play with for a  headstock.

ok   Analyze This......Billy Crystal's watching!
What it all boils down to is this: Whatever overall length you want your headstock to be...just take your neck piece place it on your work table on one long edge, one end pointing north the other south. Now measure whatever length you like from the north tip along the left edge...(moving south) and mark that point and this point should be the longest end of your scarf angle.....end of story.  do i make sense....laters  ukeman

2 1/2 "
north        ____+___________________________south
               _________+______________________
                                   5 1/2"

IP Logged

ukulady

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Nov 6th, 2003 at 8:40am

Carl, hope you see this.  Just read one of your entries under "Need Help" asking about making ukes by hand.  I have very, very, very limited space and am making my uke.  I have no power tools and so far am doing everything by hand.  And I have to say I'm very pleased so far.  Cut the scarf joint by hand and showed a good friend of mine who does alot of professional woodworking (you should see his workshop!) and he was very impressed! Grin Yeah, I did it!!!!  So now I'm kind of enjoying the challange of trying to do it all by hand.  Though I have to confess...was going to plane my thicknesses by hand but my friend offered his thickness sander,soooooo.....but I'm going to cut my side cuts (3 degree cut) by hand.  I highly recommend Cupertino's guitar making book. (See tools,this site)  It is the bible of guitar making!  You can apply the same concepts to uke making.  Wish me luck on my side cuts!!  Good luck to you.  Toni

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us