HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Neck ?'s (Read 9217 times)
ukulady

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Neck ?'s
Reply #15 - Nov 6th, 2003 at 8:43am

Yes!!!! Thank you Ukeman!!!   Especially for the quick reply! How did you do that?  I just asked that question!!!  Ha Ha   Thanks, Toni

IP Logged

Carl again

Reply #16 - Nov 7th, 2003 at 6:44am

Toni,

Thanks for the words of encouragement and good luck on your sides!

I've got the guitar making book too. Sometimes there are gaps in the book were you just kinda have to guess how they do it. But other than that it's a great book. I guess you just have to go for it and hope it works.

Please keep posting. It's great to hear about your progress.

Aloha,
Carl

IP Logged

Carl again

Reply #17 - Nov 7th, 2003 at 6:50am

Hey Ukeman!

Thanks ah, for satisfying us neck deviants! That was the answer I was looking for.

Also, I finally got your Billy Crystal reference. I know I stay slow... but was funny when I finally got it Smiley

Later,
Carl

IP Logged

Jon Y

Reply #18 - Nov 7th, 2003 at 4:47pm

Hello all got a question reguarding the shape of the neck heel.... would it be alright to use the smaller shape that you see on the french style on the regular(slap the neck on the body) style?. Cheesy

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #19 - Nov 20th, 2003 at 2:20pm

aloha Jon...actually the reason why i love building is that is has so few rules.....The heel function is  the   area of transition from neck to body. The last place that the neck adheres to the body as well as the fretting hand to the instrument.Stucturally it serves to strengthen the neck connection to the body as a buttress of sorts. So if your heel shape and size can both serve as a structural as well as visual support....go for it! The maker plays on the line twixt structural integrity, function and design...jes gotta try your idea and see if the outcome enhances the design.....laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #20 - Nov 20th, 2003 at 2:29pm

a message to carl....hey carl...guess by now you should know that the ukeman has a weird train of thought and wen i write ass what comes out...me humours suspect!
ok the manual is slowly comimg along....getting fat..we are at the fastening of sides to the body...next the tentalones and then the back...and we are boxed.....laters   ukeman

IP Logged

Carl Again

Re: Neck ?'s and Braces too!
Reply #21 - Nov 24th, 2003 at 8:27am

Hey Ukeman,

No worry about your humor. That's what I like about your messages. They are full of information and funny at the same time.  Wink

Glad to hear that the manual is progressing. Unlike my uke that is inching along. I'm just notching my sound board braces right now. Messed up the first time. Couldn't get the brace notched just right to fit over the bridge patch. Ended up splitting it with my chisel. Oh well. Going order some more brace material from you soon Smiley

My problem was that I was trying to sand out the notch after I chiseled but couldn't get a nice corner in the notch. I looked at how Cumpiano did it and he uses a file to finish the corner instead of sandpaper. Going try that tonight! woohoo!

Mahalos,
Carl

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #22 - Dec 8th, 2003 at 10:10am

Hey Carl...its getting to be alot like christmas! Ha our uke manual is about 1/2 way done with all the neat time consuming photos...but we are movin slowly but surely.Keep pluggin away on your uke and you will find anything you do is time well spent or at least makes for a good story.  laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #23 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 10:59am

aloha carl...hey some final xmas thoughts on notchwork in general...ya need the following:...A. sharp pencil or scribe..the cleaner the line the mo easy to follow...B. a means to cut the line...sooo  a xacto knife, a single edged razor, or the tip of a nice Zona backsaw...a tool to merely follow what you drew and able to slowly cut clean and to the depth that you want to be at. C. a tool to remove the unwqnted materials...chisel, sandpaper, file, emory boards..whatever.If'n ya got the right tool the job jes goes by much easier and mo accurate.In the R. Crumb era yup them fabled sixties....Mr. Natural's advice to Flakey Floont was " get the right tool for the job"   have fun and a great holiday season.  laters ukeman

IP Logged

Toni Maloon

Reply #24 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 2:45pm

Hi guys,

I'm confused about when to trim the sides of the neck shaft for the final thickness of the fretboard.  Do you trim it flush after the fretboard is glued on or do you trim it to size before?   Thanks, Toni

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #25 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 6:39am

Hi Toni,
Always do your final neck shaping AFTER you have mounted the fretboard.  It will be much easier to make your neck the exact dimensions of the fretboard after it has been installed.   

You'll want to do as much rough shaping before installing your fretboard, but leave at least an extra 1/8" of neck material for you to work with after installing the fretboard.  A few carefull passes with your file will finish the job.

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

Toni Maloon

Reply #26 - Feb 13th, 2004 at 5:04pm

Wink Thanks Asa!!  Apreciate it!  Toni

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #27 - Mar 24th, 2004 at 10:58am

Never get tired of necking huh!

The neck is such a touchie feelie integral part of the ukulele since ya got yer hands all over the neck all the time ya need to carress and feel the neck and really spend some quaity time with it! Nice to have fretboard on neck before final shaping so you can feel the final thicknesses while you are shaping. You can fake finger chord shapes and see how yer fingeing hand reacts to different locations on the fingerboard...yup if ya jes beginning to play fake chords around the 12th fret so you can feel the neck at the heel area. Shape to what feels best and natural for your hands....no need be symetrical, jes need be easy to hold and play thats the object of the shaping session to make an easily comfortable and  playable neck. No forget the nut end of the neck...you need to make a transition from the neck to the headstock around the recurve area of the headstock. Your G7 chord or anything around the first fret will help you feel how nice you have shaped this transition area....anyhow no forget to visit music shops and feel the ukes dey got for sale...and impress the feel in your mind...should get all kine shapes to feel and you pick out the best for you and try copy!...ok   hope this helps...laters ukeman

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us