HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rope binding, construction technique (Read 1665 times)
JOhn Reeves

Rope binding, construction technique
Oct 23rd, 2003 at 5:29pm

Dear all, i was wondering if anyone has seen some info on the net or elsewhere about the specific techniques innvolved in making traditional rope binding.

Such as on this Uke from Scott Wise

http://www.scottwise.net/html/soprano_uke.html

and Weisseborn guitars from Bear Creek.

I was trying undertsand how one should wet and combine the 2 types of woods, twist and then dry and bend as needed.  My perseption is that there is specific ways of doing this.

If anyone has expereince with or a list of techniques that would be most helpful.

thanks
JOhn

IP Logged

Kevin Quine

Re: Rope binding, construction technique
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2003 at 6:54am

The two woods are not twisted together.  Strips of light and dark wood are glued side by side.  Then the glued up plank is cut into strips diagonally.  These strips are joined end to end to make the "rope" strips for inlay.  Herringbone marquetry is made the same way, but the starting strips are finer.  Two rope strips are glued side by side to make the V pattern.

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2003 at 9:21am

Hiya John,
Yep, like Kevin said, the secret is laminating all your strips up into one larger board.  Here is a link to more rope binding examples:

http://ukulele.org/reference/ropeb.html

Because you have to cut the laminated board at an angle to get the 'twisting' effect, glue the strips slightly offset so your board ends up in a diamond shape, instead of square.  

Use titebond2 or a similarly water resistant glue.  Adding heat to bend this type of binding can be very tricky....    Grin

-Asa

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

john

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2003 at 5:31pm

Kevin and ASa,

okay now i  see it. It seems like I would have to make it pretty wide to get decent lenght in terms of adequatley 'roped' binding.

thanks for this info.

Does anyone think that epoxy glue would be better than tightbond if the strips are to be heated and bent ?cheeeeeeers
john

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us