HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which bracing to use ? (Read 2206 times)
K.D.M.I.
Ex Member

Which bracing to use ?
Oct 25th, 2003 at 10:26am

Aloha,
I was wondering, on a six string uke, will the fan bracing be enough for the tension of a six string? If, not, what kind of bracing would I have to use? The sound board is spruce. The neck is reinforced with graphite.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Re: Which bracing to use ?
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2003 at 9:05am

Hey good question, you must have something to do with engineering or construction.  Few people would think about the structure to string-load question, but it certainly is a factor.  Most tenor uke strings produce about 12 pounds of pull each.  With 6 strings we're looking at around 70pounds of pressure or more!

The fan braced design will work just fine, but you  will want to use a slightly thicker soundboard and bridge patch. The graphite reinforced neck is a good way to go.  A Spanish connection over a bolt-on neck would be ideal.

Most of all, remember to slack the strings when storing to avoid warping the soundboard!  This is the most common type of damage we see in old ukes.

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

K.D.M.I.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2003 at 9:49pm

Aloha,
   Thanks for the info. Now that the sound board and bridge plate is thicker will this change the sound much? Has anyone used graphite for their fan bracing? Mahalo again!

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2003 at 10:03am

alha kdmi!...ya hit the heart of the matter...the secret of the universe...the big questions: How Thick? What Kind Bracing? How will it sound? OK trust me....backpedal a bit and play ukes that are the size you want to build and pick out what is best sounding to you. Inspect, detect, and respect whats in the uke components and try a similar.How did it sound...now cahnge a variable..no worry there's tons and try again....keep a journal of how each uke was built..bracing patterns, materials, weight, stiffness and dimensions and try again.

In a nutshell we are trying to free the soundboard up to vibrate willingly and yet enable the soundboard to retain structure without mechanical or structural failure and yet still allow the soundboard to vibrate.Ergo tops can be thin if bracing below is positioned right and adequate in number and still remain structurally integral with the uke in full tension via the strings.

There's all kinds of fan variations...check out classical guitar bracings ...there's lattice bracings..ala smallman , dejonge and redman...theres Kasha/schneiders will variations ala Klien, Eban, Wescott and Boaz to name a few. What ever you can conceive of is valid ...but you will have to make them and listen to the results....this is what makes building fun...neverending chase for the ultimate and hopefully along the way you remain consistant and constantly improve.   so as to which? I answer whatever But it's nice to follow something you like or have read about and emulate and then add your own changes.......later   ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us