HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm new here (Read 4202 times)
John_Mayes

I'm new here
Nov 14th, 2003 at 9:00am

Just thought I would post a little intro to myself as I'm new here.  I mainly build Custom Acoustic Guitars, but also delve into Uke's and Electric guitars.  Here is a pic of the most recent Uke I finished.  Flamed Redwood top and Brazilian Rosewood back and sides (purchased from none other than Asa)
If your interested you can go to the following link and look at over 100 pictures of the building of the uke pictured below. http://www.mayesguitars.com/images/ukes

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: I'm new here
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2003 at 1:48pm

aloha and welcome John....awesome pictures..Would you describe your uke sound for the uke that is pictured...with that curly redwood soundboard and brazilian combo can only imagine a sweet resonance...
We just ended a weekend of awesome ukulele playing and displays at the second annual ukulele exhibition and conference...ok   a good excuse to come to the islands next year to showcase your ukuleles too!....check out the ukuleleguild.org website.....aloha  ukeman

IP Logged

John_Mayes

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2003 at 6:07am

Thanks for the nice words.  the sound of this uke was great.  I was very happy.  It has a big voice.  Plenty of warmth, and sustain.  Not really woody and punchy, but strong and warm.  The next one I'm making (all Koa with Brazilian appointments) I'm going for the punchy woody sound.

Sounds like the Conference was a blast.  I saw that on the web page...maybe next year!  I've never been to Hawaii so sounds like a good reason to me!

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2003 at 3:15pm

Hey John!
Sweet uke, and excellent photos!  Thank you for posting them.  We have been swamped with the ukulele exhibition.  It really was a good time.  An even better turn out than last year.  There are some photos of the event posted here:

http://curtistakano.dyndns.org/users/curtis/Images/ugh03/ugh03.html

Any reason to visit the island is a good one, but a "business" trip is tax deductible  Grin

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

Bud
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 2:53pm

I know this is an old thread but thanks for posting the pics from the convention... Very COOL!! Grin

IP Logged

Treetop

oo-koo-ley-ley

Decatur, GA
Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 11:42pm

Yes, still older, I just found it and I have a bunch of questions.  Love it.

Is it a baritone?

Is the neck just glued on with the mortise and tenon?

Great work.

Which strings?

Is there bridge compensation?

Thank you.

tt

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2007 at 7:28am

TT,

John Mayes is a very experienced and well thought of Pro Luthier.  John has also recently accepted a position with McPherson Guitars. He is still continuing to build very custom (bling) soprano ukuleles for a minimum fee of $5,000.00. He plans on building about 10 per year and will accept orders for 5 of the 10. He also says that he has current orders to cover the next 4 years.

I’m just happy if mine looks and sounds like a ukulele.

My current soprano is coming along ok but it is really just to practice finishing on. When I get it done I figure it will be worth about $150.00. Not quite the same as John’s ukuleles. Then again when I show people mine I’m just happy when they don’t say “What’s that?”    Grin

Philip

IP Logged

Treetop

oo-koo-ley-ley

Decatur, GA
Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2007 at 3:47pm

Yes, I was familiar with his guitars, and really like them. 

I found the Tenor Uke with the double bridge for low G tuning, or regular tuning, just brilliant!   I wish I could afford to buy his set of DVDs. 

I want to build a neck the way he does.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us