HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
KTM water base lacquer? (Read 1375 times)
DeVine_Guitars

Lahaina, Maui
KTM water base lacquer?
Nov 30th, 2003 at 11:09pm

Hello all,
I have been using oxford water base finish on my guitars and ukes for about a year with pretty good results, but I don't feel that the finish is hard enough. I just ordered some KTM finish, and am not sure if I should apply it the same way. With the oxford lacquer I spray schellac and poor fill, them 3 coats of lacquer a day for 3 days, then thin lacquer and spray 3 more coats, leveling ( sanding)  between each days coats. I let the finish sit for 4 or 5 days then wet sand with 600, 1200, and maybe a little 2000 grit, wait a few more days and buff away.
If anyone has used the KTM lacquer or at least knows how it is applied, I would love to get some tips!

Aloha! Eric DeVine

Eric DeVine

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Re: KTM water base lacquer?
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2003 at 12:58pm

Hey Eric,
I'm afraid you've stumped everyone here.  I will keep an ear out for any info on the KTM lacquer.

If you decide to jus go for it, please let us know how it turned out.  Smiley

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: KTM water base lacquer?
Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2004 at 9:25am

Aloha Eric...Gene Takae to the rescue. Gene e-mailed me a website explaining a KTM9 applied waterborne lacquer.Mahalo Takae-san! Here it is:
http://www.doolinguitars.com/waterborne/instructions.html

This is an article via Mike Doollin of Doolin Guitars its a 6 page article on his method of using KTM-9 ...for info on KTM-9 write to:
Grafted Coatings, Inc.
104 Day Street
Seymour, Ct. 06483
203 888-5373
info@graftedcoatings.com

I read the data...interesting use of epoxy for initial filling and sealing of pores!

laters   ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us