HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bridge: dumb question #47 (Read 2368 times)
Jesse Tinsley

Bridge: dumb question #47
Dec 9th, 2003 at 8:26am

In my basic mahogany kit I got a rosewood bridge blank that's not quite 1/4 inch thick. I noticed the plans call for a bridge that's 3/8" thick. Am I missing something? There was also a thin piece of mahogany the same size, which I assumed was the bridge patch.
Also, what's the recommended final thickness of the fretboard so that the saddle doesn't have to be too tall?
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: Bridge: dumb question #47
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2003 at 11:06am

aloha Jess...
a good rule of thumb is to make the fingerboard about a 1/16th inch thinnner than the bridge material thickness. Kits normally vary in thicknesses of the fingerboard...about 1/4" thick but should be thinned to about 3/16ths final thickness...while bridge blanks are from 1/4 to 5/16th's   the 3/8th height of a bridge would require a 1/4" thick fingerboard.
At Hana Lima we usually use 3/16 inch fingerboards and 1/4" bridges....adjust your pieces so that they differ by a 1/16th and you should be cool...it's the 1/16th inch ratio thats important and that your neck and soundboard are on a flat even plane.
Laters   ukeman

IP Logged

Jesse Tinsley

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2003 at 5:14pm

That's just what I needed to know! Now to find my a jointer....Mahaloz!
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2003 at 10:48am

yo Jesse ...jes one fast one! Think you was jes joking wen you said , you was heading for your jointer. But I going lean toward safety, so will pass this along. Mostly when stock is about 1/4" thick plus or minus its not a good idea to joint or plane. using power machines ..cuz can blow out in a planer and snipe and tear on a jointer...jes too thin. Bettah to pau it out with a sander...On a jointer wood that thin is where ya need a backing block cus this is wen the jointer eats palms and digits from slippage pushing the thin stock through!Plus chunks will fly not finely sliced human sashimi but chunks.

So if no more thickness sander..jes get 2 pieces of aluminum bar stock or wood the thickness you like sand to..put your fingerboard or bridge twixt the 2 and use a palm or orbit sander to thickness , with the wood or aluminum rails as a guide....ok done me duty....laters   ukeman   a thickening story  ha!

IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2003 at 6:21pm

Yeah, I don't have a thickness sander or a jointer, so I make do with a cheap-kine finish sander.  But the standard Hanalima fretboard is pretty thick, so I won't be losing anymore blood that I should.
For those of us who are not so good woodworkers, we spend a lot of time looking for bandaids!
Mahalo for your no'eau akamai,
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2003 at 12:33pm

yo hapakid....whats good for the goose is indeed good for da gander...was prying apart a tail block caul from me ukulele with a dull 1/4" chisel..my first action of the day..like 30 seconds upon entering the shop. The tailpiece caul seperated rather easily as I jammed the chisel into a little openning.Of course the chisel continued past the vacant caul and dead center into the palm of me left hand...dont you hate dat wen dat happens! Must be close to xmas to endure a mini repro of the nail into the palm...ha! Helpful hint # 101 the puka closed nicely with super glue and stopped the bleeding right away....now about 3 hours later...the hand is mucho sore,,none grip whatsoever, jes like you wen hammer me hand...so....so much for safety tips..a dumb blunder is exactly that a DUMB BLUNDER    ..laters   ukeman
ps.  have a safe and happy holiday season to all!

IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2003 at 2:40pm

Yeah, there's nothing as beautiful as a really sharp tool! Ho'olohe 'oe!  That chisel wasn't as dull as you thought!
Malama na lima!
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us