HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gotoh Tuners specifications (Read 2803 times)
urusai

aka Burt

Hilo
Gotoh Tuners specifications
Dec 22nd, 2003 at 10:26am

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could explain the differences between the different models of Gotoh tuners listed in the shop store.

Specifically:

Gotoh SGM Mini
Gotoh SG381
Gotoh SG360

Sizes? Weight? Features? Looks?

One thing I have to say, after using geared tuners, I don't think I'll ever go back to straight-thru keys.  Tuning (especially with a chormatic tuner) is *so* much easier with geared tuners!

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Re: Gotoh Tuners specifications
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2003 at 11:09am

Hello Urusai,
There are 2 differences between the SGM and SG381 models. †First is the look. †The SGM's have a Gotoh Logo stamped onto the tuner body. †The SG381's have a more finished looking etched logo. †Here is a side by side example:

The second difference is the "Rock Solid"TM string post construction offered only with the SG381 and SG360 models. †This new manufacturing technique completely eliminates any side to side movement in the string post.

Both models feature solid lubricating coat (pat' pend.) which is permanently bonded to the worm gear. The "Lubri-Coat"TM has been tested at temperatures below freezing to over 100 degrees. There is no messy grease or oil which can leak out over time.

The measurements are the same for both models:
Be sure that your headstock is at least 5/16" thick. †In order to fit thinner headstocks you would have to grind down the attaching nut.

Each tuner with hardware weighs in at a little over 1oz.

To make things easier for everyone we are not offering the SG360 models anymore. †They are the same as the SG381's in weight and features. †The only difference is where the wood screw is placed...90 degrees to the tuner body as opposed to 45 degrees in the SG381's. †Here is an example of what those look like:

Hope this helps Smiley
-Asa

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

urusai

aka Burt

Hilo
Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2003 at 9:20am

That definitely helps! †Now that you have pointed out the details, I am a little embarrassed that I did not see the cosmetic differences in the original pictures. †Wink

Mahalo

IP Logged

kamano

onipa'a mau loa

Glendale Arizona
Re: Gotoh Tuners and soprano
Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 1:36pm

Kokua  any kine mo smart den me....

Can you use a Gotoh tuner with a soprano....(not da gansta kine)...they seem to be very heavy..especially wit da baby ukulele.   What would you suggest fo da light weight tuner fo da soprano.

Mahalo...
Kamano

onipa'a mau loa
Kamano  
IP Logged

killin5

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 12:14pm

Iím about the drill the tuner holes in my headstock and wanted to check on a few of the measurements. I am using a set of Gotoh SG3841 Tuners. How far in from the edge of the headstock should I drill the center of the hole with these tuners? Is Ĺ inch too little, too much, or just right? Also, how far apart fro each other should I place the tuner for a basic standard headstock layout?

Thanks,

John

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2004 at 10:34am

yo John, better late than never! Gotoh mini's are usually spaced 7/16th inch from the edge of the headstock...main thing the tuner knobs are free to wind when installed...so test a hole on a piece of scap at 1/2 inch and 7/16th and see which works best for you....the tuner holes (going from nut slot toward headstock...anywhere around 1 and 1/4 inch to 1 and 1/2 inches or so...really depends on the recurve length of your headstock as it morphs into your headstock design.....from the first set of holes usually a spacing of 1 and 3/4 inch is cool....however be reminded that the spacings are trully dependent on your design and the function of the actual tuners....my motto...when in doubt..try em out on a test piece first....saves a lot of grief and second guessing...laters  ukeman

IP Logged

killin5

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2004 at 5:44am

Thanks Ukeman. It seams silly, but I hadn't even thought of making a practice template.

John

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us