Send Topic Print
soundboards and saws (Read 1237 times)
hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
soundboards and saws
Jan 6th, 2004 at 9:32pm

A couple questions (of the thousands running around in my head when I look at my uke project!):
Is anyone using a miniature hobby table saw, or a Dremel tool, to cut fretboard slots?
My spruce top from Hanalima is very thick, almost 1/4". Is there an optimum thickness for spruce top? Koa? Cedar? Mahogany?
Do you usually thickness the top before cutting your shelf on the neck block, or just mount it on the neck, then sand it down until it's level with the neck after the sides are on?
I could go on all day, but I know you guys get busy...
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: soundboards and saws
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2004 at 9:01am

aloha hapakid.....ok heres a shot at some of your questions!

I used a mini table saw from Micro Mark Tools for years to slot my own fretboards...the mini saw has 3" diameter mini blades at .023 available that fits the mini saws 1/2" diameter arbor...and you can make a slotting jig for this operation...oh  my mini is broken...2nd time..think it needs to be buried this time!....really not meant for massive use..I guess! But it worked fine wen the saw was alive and well.

bSoundboards...most come pretty hefty like 1/4 or 3/16th in. thick...I joint the edges and book match the pieces, glue them up and draw in my uke outlines...one outline exactly following the template then an outer outline about a quarter inch oversized all the way around....I bandsaw out on the outer line...I sand the show side level to rid myself of gluemarks and newspaper...then I proceed to any rosette or inlaywork while me soundboard is still fat! This way I can inlay deep with lots of thickness to work with...wen my inlay pau..I can sand the show side of me board flush with the inlay and make all nice. I redraw me outlines of the uke and turn board over...I will thickness sand backside to working thickness .90 is cool or about 3/32nd inch ...err to the thick side cuz you can take away but hard to add! Now I can start my bracing system. Rule of thumb is Hardwood boards ie Koa can be thinner than Spruce which can be thinner than Cedar or redwood.
hope this helps...later  ukeman

IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Re: soundboards and saws
Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2004 at 11:13am

Good advice. Mahalo Ukeman!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us