HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
uke volume/sound hole ratio (Read 3562 times)
dave

uke volume/sound hole ratio
Jan 13th, 2004 at 6:36pm

Aloha,
   I am making a tenor off plans I purchased from you but I want to modify the sound hole to a single side hole.  You mentioned before about there being a relationship to the volume of the sound chamber to the size of the hoe.  For the uke in your tenor plans with standard fan bracing, what size oval sound hole would be appropriate?  (Minor and Major axis)
Cheers and mahalo
Dave

IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Re: uke volume/sound hole ratio
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2004 at 9:29am

Hi Dave,
I asked the same question in an earlier thread, and found out a couple things. One, finding the area of an oval, called an ellipse by mathmaticians, is WAY over my head mathmatically. And not every elongated circle is a true ellipse. And two, it's best to draw them on a computer and transfer the outline to the uke.  After learning this, I went and bought a 2.5" hole saw and decided that was good enough for me.
Previous builders have said that the 2.5" sound hole has about a 5 sq. inch area, so that might help guide you. As long as the hole "looks" like it's about the same area as a circular hole, you're probably okay.  Experiments have proved that sound holes are important to sound projection, but size can vary.
See the thread "sound holes and location".
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2004 at 9:39am

Here is an image of a few variations on the 5" tenor soundhole.  The picture should be full size so you can use it as a template.  The quality isn't that great, but certainly a good place to start.

Right-click on this image and save it to your computer or print it from here.

The image is full size, but please measure the actual printout to make sure your computer did not shrink it.

-Asa

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 7:16am

Oops, forgot to answer your question Dave  Roll Eyes

I'm with Jesse, the 2.5" soundhole is a nicely proportioned size for the tenor uke...but there is always room for experimentation.  The ovals posted above are what we used for our last batch of tenors.  The 2 x 3" oval is my favorite based purely on aesthetics Smiley

-Asa

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2004 at 12:02pm

aloha all...thought I would give Radio Shack a plug and list the model number of the Decibel reader that I purchased from them. Its:  A DIGITAL SOUND LEVEL METER model number 33-2055 and made by Radio Shack. I use this meter to record the loudness of sound  from the soundhole size .give a constant tap on the same location with the same force on my ukes measure the decibel level...enlarge the hole a bit more and repeat process. Eventually you will come to the right size hole for the total air volumne of your uke...check it out" cost under 60.00     laters  ukeman  just start with a small puka and enlarge as you go

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us