Send Topic Print
neck joint question (Read 1419 times)
hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
neck joint question
Jan 14th, 2004 at 7:43pm

I'm building my second uke with a spanish style neck joint and the Cumpiano book says not to put any glue into the neck block slots where the sides join up. Is there a reason to not glue the sides in? It seems like you're giving up some structural integrity without glue.
Mahalo for the nice kits and plans Asa! Building is a blast!
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: neck joint question
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2004 at 10:05am

Hapa san....yo Jess...In our sessions at Hana Lima"Ia we also DO NOT use glue where the sides enter into the neck slots..the veneer wedges jammed into the inside side to neck slot connection and the glue on the topside edge of the sides are quite sufficient.Just spool clamp and let cure..sides will be solid to the top and neck.

If we were to glue the sides to the slots...I only see a problem if you have to replace the neck...would be pure hell to steam out and take apart the sides from the neck...On the other hand I have beeb doing spanish style construction for almost a decade and have had no need nor reason for resetting neck or neck replacement .So glue or no glue it would still be cool.

laters  ukeman

IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Re: neck joint question
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2004 at 10:15am

Mahalo nui loa, Ukeman-san. You da man.
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us