HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kasha Mandolins ? (Read 1274 times)
Jim Combra

Kasha Mandolins ?
Jan 21st, 2004 at 1:16pm

Hey there Folks, this is my first time there. I live in RI and build mandolins and i was doing a search for Kasha inspired instruments on the web and ended up here. Looks like a nice , informative site. I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with a Kasha soundboard on a Mandolin ? It would be for an A style so i would't be dealing with scrolls and such.... a Nice symetrical design for a canvas to experiment. I'd be interested to hear ideas from anyone and everyone as well.

Thanks !

Jim

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Re: Kasha Mandolins ?
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 7:43am

Hi Jim, 
Welcome to the boards.  I went to school in Providence; Rhode Island is like my second island home!  Smiley 

I haven't heard of anyone experimenting with a Kasha braced Mandolin.  It seems like a good idea to me.  If you want to give it a try, I would be happy to send you a set of plans to work with.

-Asa

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

john

Re: Kasha Mandolins ?
Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2004 at 7:52pm

JIm, unfortunaltey i cna only echo what Asa has said. I have seen no information on Kasha mandolins.

I am thinking maybe the soundboard may be too small but then so is a concert Uke !I have seen info on kasha

basses
guitars
weisenborn copies
Ukes (here)
and many variations of the guitar bracing system.

My guess is to find the physics info from DR kasha himself and try the standard K bracing patterns ( a la Hanalima plans ) and see how it turns out.

It would seem prudent not to overbrace and sideport soundholes may help as u would need ot cut a soundhole in the top.

The old Martin flatop A styles with a slightly bent top might be the style to use.

Good luck and please LMK how u go as I was infot mandolins that led me to Ukes...

cheeeeers
John

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us