HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
rosettes and purfling (Read 7263 times)
Murray Irvin

Re: rosettes and purfling
Reply #15 - Mar 19th, 2005 at 5:36am

???

I've just started building my first uke.  A Kasha Concert and I want to do an abalone rosette.  Is it customary to use purfling?  If so, do I put in the purflings first?  I would appreciate any help.

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #16 - Mar 25th, 2005 at 10:47am

aloha murray...ok jes to make sure we are on the same track: You want to install a abalone rosette and have the inner and outer borders framed with purflin materials?

Ok ...I would first size the abalone material to width and both purflin thickness es to come up with an overall channel width to accomodate the combined materials.
example: 1/8th in. abalone and (2) 1/32nd purflins will toal 3/16th width.

Choose appropriate width router bit.
Make a test cut on scrap and dryfit all three materials into routed test rosettle shape. Make sure it all fits!

I install the outer or inner purflin strip first. Bend around outer rim and hold in place with a series of push pins, tight to the walls of the routed edge. When completely fit wick in viscous super glue while pins are in place...after a minute or so you can remove pins and work on the opposite edge inner purflins in the same manner.

Now you can insert abalone strips between purflin rings and work on mating end cuts oer each abalone piece. When complete, make sure all is tight and cool....apply super glue onto abalone sections and around inner and outer purflins wings..let dry....scrape and level.

Tips:
Put a piece of wax paper under soundboard..super glue is ultra viscous and will seep into the pin hjoles and stick soundboard to work surface...Surprise!

Test the abalone, and purflins and super glue on scrap..some super glues will halo sitka or engelmann a slight yellow...not real cool. Test first!

Make your routes a bit deep...make your soundboard a bit thick...you can level from the top to sjowcase the rosette...turn over sound board and sand from bottom side to acheive working thickness es and then do your interior bracings.

Go slow   laters  ukeman

IP Logged

msrvfx

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Portland, Oregon
Reply #17 - May 6th, 2005 at 12:40pm

has anyone run on to a source that sells ready made rosettes for uke size soundholes?

Has anyone tried doing their own roll-laminations for rosettes?
What I mean is, take a round dowel, tube, etc. the inner diameter you want, and then lay up layer over layer of materials until you have built it up to the thickess you want. Then take the lamination (tube) form out, then bandsaw off slices of the rosettes (cross section of tube).
Seems like most people try to build one rosette at a time, but this would allow to make up a length of rosette lamination that could be sliced off as needed.

Appreciate the info.

Mark in Portland

http://www.myspace.com/msrvfx http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1543208653  
IP Logged

Road_Toad

Eh brah, da buggah flat!

Kalyfoonya
Reply #18 - May 6th, 2005 at 6:11pm

Hi Mark,

I haven't done a rosette using your method, but I do build up a block and bandsaw them off. Are you builing a rosette with sticks? I've only done them in solid wood, but the way I do it is to cut wedges of wood at a 45 degree angle and glue them up so that the grain radiates out like the spokes of a wheel. Then I take a Dremmel rotary tool with a router base and rosette cutter (using the Stewmac variety) and I cut down to the thickness I want to make the rosette. I then slice it off on my bandsaw. You can do them one at a time and vary the rosette size based on your soundhole size. Here's a link to a picture-

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/41bb3026_c957/bc/Ukulele/Morning+Wood/005M/005M+maca...

The other thing is I had to do was drill a couple new mounting holes for the rosette cutting attachment to enable diameters less than 3"- I think I can get down to about 1 3/4" with the modification. Here's a link to the picture of the Dremmel set up.

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/41bb3026_c957/bc/Ukulele/Morning+Wood/005M/MW005+ros...

Owen

IP Logged

msrvfx

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Portland, Oregon
Reply #19 - May 7th, 2005 at 1:14pm

Thank for the info Owen.

I was thinking of the purfling kind of look, but I have seen some really beautiful  solid wood or the wedge design that I really likes too. Could open the links you offered though. thanks again.

Mark

http://www.myspace.com/msrvfx http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1543208653  
IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #20 - May 9th, 2005 at 1:26pm

aloha mark!

i too am of the traditional log cabin rosette log design glue-up and then slicing finished log into appropriate thickness pieces. i lay up the log, row by row, following my design that is drawn on grapph paper....currently my inlays are whatever since i oftentimes do not have a soundhole on the soundboard but side ports, ergo my designs on the soundboard are more like inlaid marquetry or free form stencil cut-outs.

back to your question: i did attend a class years ago where the principal speaker was romanillos and he described how he made his rosette design that looks like arched columns in a circle.His method is direct lamination, also row by row. He glued up the first row design and wrapped it around a specific diameter pipe, wrapped with taped wax paper, on pipe twixt pipe and first row! He then proceeds row by row until his completed design. The pipe is removed and the rosette tube squared and then cut like salami pieces for his signatured rosette design. May take him a week or so but then he has enough for a few years.i would imagine proper registration of rows in the nut! also bear in mind that the rosette tube is not a complete circle but with a gap that will hide under the fingerboard. the challenge it seems would be proper registration of each row so as not to screw up the design on subsequent rows. guess a heat blanket with plumbers straps would work right nice to clamp each row.The bend sholud be easy as all the components will be vertically aligned...anyhow   good luck and let us know if you preceed.   laters ukeman

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us