Send Topic Print
rosettes and purfling (Read 7284 times)
hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
rosettes and purfling
Jan 26th, 2004 at 11:07am

I've just put on my first binding and made my first rosette and I'm ready to give up.  It's hard to make the binding uniform and tight all the way around.  Rosettes look good but it's easy to tear out some part of the marquetry while sanding.
Does anyone make purfling or rosettes by putting dye into glue and just pouring it into the channel, then sanding it off later?
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Re: rosettes and purfling
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 8:01am

I know what you mean Jesse.  Now here is an area where we need a good jig.  There are a few out there, but the ones I've seen are cumbersome and don't really do a lot for you.  In the end it comes down to finesse and even with practice mistakes do happen.  There is a shattered uke downstairs right now...the product of Sunday's binding demonstration gone wrong.  It is a little discouraging to see that happen to someone who has been doing it for years.  Undecided   We will have to think of a better way...

The dye into glue is a great effect.  Try using acrylic resin, like they use for surfboards.  There are pigments you can add to it for almost any color.

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

Jon Y

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 7:22pm

Jesse
If you are making your rosette out of wood and are having trouble shaping your circle try using very thin cynoacrylate (super glue or hot stuff). Cover the area you are going to cut out withthe stuff and let it soak for about a minute  and then use the activator to set it off. It should make your wood more consistant and less likely to chip. Oh yeah some waxed paper under your work should keep it from sticking to the table.
Hope this helps
Jon

IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 7:34am

Mahalo Jon and Asa for the tips. I need a lot more practice and a way to make my wood binding thinner so it will bend easier. So much to learn! Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2004 at 3:20pm

aloha Hapakid...hey Jessie this one is for you...will be right nice and more of what you are thinking by way of rosettes. The product is called "inlace" and your local Woodcraft supplier has it...kinda expensive like 30.00 or so for a pint but thats alot. The stuff works like resin...its a powder and when mixed with catalyst turns into awesome colors like stone mosaic and turquoise... lots of colors , from jet black to white to  colored marbles...now all ya gotta do is channel your rosette...and mix a small batch up and pour away...sandable and right nice...many guitar makers use this product...looks like granite.....and seems like a good way for you to try one...scrap piece first...laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Kamano Flores

Re:Inlace....brand name?
Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 6:26pm

Ukeman

I was just out looking for some of the "Inlace" that you were talking about....hoooooo really humbug hea on da mainland looking fo da kine.   You folks get one brand name or place to call fo find dis stuff.  I wen aks and day wen give me da lolo look...hmmmm  so ...kokua me an see if you can fine one brand name or whateva....

Mahalo's
Kamano (lost in da desert of Arizona)

IP Logged

jony

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2004 at 7:17pm

Kamano I also was wondering about this inlace also so I did a search on "inlace" and found this site www.turtlefeathers.com ; they have pics and accessories some kind of filler to add bulk to the product and a couple of other goodies
Hope this helps BTW they don't have really good examples of how to use it just what it looks like
Jon

IP Logged

Kamano Flores

Re: Inlace
Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2004 at 3:57pm

Mahalo's to you Jony ..I wen to da site and get plenty info....ehhh save dis one fo the group...

I goin try'em and give you one update kine.   

Mahalo
Kamano

IP Logged

vicki chock

Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2004 at 2:30pm

aloha all you guys!

da inlace stuffs can be found at Woodcraft Supply Shop..dey get one catalogue if no mo one store by you.

lots of buiders is using dis product...da inlays loks unreal...laters   v.chock

IP Logged

Kyle Igarashi

Reply #9 - Mar 4th, 2004 at 6:53pm

Aloha,
   I've tried this product(INLACE). It's really easy to use. Almost like using epoxy. I used it for my rosette. Just make your channel,  add your purflings, mix the inlace (part "A" and part "B") fill in the channel. Let dry, then sand flat. Pretty neat stuff. I've never tried to add crushed shell in it, think it'll look pretty neat. Have fun with the inlace, I did.
                                                              Aloha,          
                                                                Zig

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2004 at 11:51pm

Woodcraft of Hawaii was sold out about 2 weeks ago when I went, somebody must have put the word out. Cheesy

I still have yet to use it, but I certainly plan to. Turtlefeathers.com was a nice site-plenty of info.

Thanks Hana Lima 'Ia and Asa!
WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

John_Mayes

Reply #11 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 3:28am

I use a laminate trimmer attached to a curcle cutting jig I made.  I have one for the soundhole and one for the rosette.  I use it with a spiral downcut bit.  Works great and I never get tearout.  If you like I can take a pic of it.  If you have a laminate trimmer already it would be just a tiny bit of work and a $10 router bit at www.routerbits.com (they use whiteside router bits which I think are the best router bits made)

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #12 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 1:06pm

John, now how could we say no Cheesy

Thanks Hana Lima 'Ia and Asa!
WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

John_Mayes

Reply #13 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 2:08pm

haha.. well it is really basic... of course somtimes easy ideas are the good ones.. I use a much more in depth drill press rosette cutter that cuts multiple rosettes at the same time, but for my ukes just one ring it is simple... I'll snap a pic and post it...  Prepared NOT to be in awe Smiley

IP Logged

John_Mayes

Reply #14 - Jun 21st, 2004 at 4:37am

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us