HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Keeping neck straight with soundbox (Read 2215 times)
jonesy604

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Keeping neck straight with soundbox
Feb 7th, 2004 at 7:02am

Hello :

My name is Dale,  Im new here and I am in the process of building my first ukulele.  I have a question on the construction.  How do you make sure that the neck is straight with the sound box? is there a jig I need to build or some way of making a mark to check with a straight edge.  I would appreciate all of your help.  My family and I will be comming to Hawii in July to cellebrate my daughters graduation and my wife and I's 20 th anniversary.  Id like to have it done so I can play it for my family on this occasion. 

Thanks alot
God bless
Jonesy604@yahoo.com

IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Re: Keeping neck straight with soundbox
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2004 at 1:47pm

That's a good question. Most of the people who build at Hanalima build ukes with a spanish style neck.  The neck/headblock are a single unit and the soundboard is glued to the neck block before assembling the sound box.  When you glue the soundboard on, you line up the centerline of the neck (even if it isn't carved yet) and the soundboard joint, which should give you a proper alignment. 
If you're constructing a soundbox, then butt joining the neckblock (most ukes are like this), then you just have to make sure your headblock end is perfectly square and the heel block is square, too.  Many builders keep the headblock square, rather than rounded, and use an alignment jig to line up the tail and head blocks when putting on the soundboard.
If you aren't doing a spanish style neck and it seems like a strange way to build, you're right. But it is one way to make sure the soundboard and the neck are aligned straight.  And its a stronger joint.
To get an overview of the spanish style of building, check out "Guitarmaking: Tradition and Technology" by Cumpiano and Natelson. It's the bible of traditional lutherie. It's about $25 from Amazon.com.
Hope this helps. This thread probably belongs  in "Shop Tips".
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

jonesy604

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2004 at 4:20pm

Thank you very much for your help.  You have been very kind.

Dale l jones

IP Logged

Jon Y

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 8:02am

Hey Jonesy
I build by attatching the neck after the body is built and have a jig for both neck and body if ya wanna call it a jig made to be used with a 12" round sander. it is very simple and very CHEAP to make that is if you have the sander. you have to make sure that the top of your uke is perpendicular to the seam on the face so when looking at the face the seam in the front and the very top form a "T" the top of the "T" need only be as wide as your neck. Just as important looking at the side view of your ukethe top and face needs to be square also. If you do not make sure that it is  square when the box is being assembled you either have to make the neck match the angle or take a chance of sanding through the top when squaring it off. I make the neck joint square before shaping so I have a reliable edge to measure from and do the shaping after it is square. I find that in this manner the joint is perfect and can be checked using a flat board and a straight edge using the seam and a centerline marked on the face of the neck. It may sound difficult but really it's not.

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2004 at 2:47pm

Aloha Mr. Jones...gee this sounds like an intro to a song that I've heard...thought I'd add a few cents to this neck alignment question.

You will find that in all critical gluing stages of 'ukulele making, it is imperitive that the glued pieces be indexed in some way as to insure proper alignment or positioning. Be it a pin, a caul, a straight edge, a stop block or a jig or two the critical thought is to make sure part A being glued to part B is in alignment. PERIOD! When 2 sides are glued the mating surfaces like to slide and wander around.

For the neck attachment you need to address 2 points of alignment....Number one that the centerline of the neck is in line with the center line of the 'ukulele body or (soundboard ala spanish style).A straight drawn line or a long ruler will do wonders in this instance or a white spool of thread.(think chalk line)

Number two is to keep the plane of the neck level with the plane of the 'ukulele body or (soundboard spanish style) This is critical to keep your neck from up-bow or down- bow angles after neck is glued or fastened to the body. A neck level to the soundboard or body will help you get accurate saddle height positioning, relative to the string action height above the fretboard.

If you know you need to align the neck to the body and if you think about it you will no doubt devise a simple or complex means to resolve these issues with materials at hand or modification of someone elses jigs or procedures. Its kind of a fun part or at least a rewarding part about 'ukulele making...problem resolution...the classic "it worked for me!"Yippee

hope this helps   later  ukeman

IP Logged

Dale L Jones

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 7:32am

Thanks for all of your responses. I greatly appreciat it

Dale

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us