Send Topic Print
Wood nut/saddle (Read 1489 times)
hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Wood nut/saddle
Feb 12th, 2004 at 6:52am

I accidentally broke the corian nut in my Hanalima kit, so I made another out of bacote, an ebony-like wood. It sounds okay.
Is there any reason why you can't make a nut, or a bridge saddle, out of a hardwood like that? My old Kamaka has wood nut/bridge saddle and it sounds okay, too.
Here's a picture of my uke:
http://www.imbris.net/~jessehj/ukulele/finishkoauke.jpg
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: Wood nut/saddle
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 12:51pm

aloha hapasan....Regarding nut materials the consensus is the material be solid and stable as the string vibrations over a length of time will eventually wear down the nut slots. Many older ukes had koa or hardwood nuts ala ebony, same reasoning as fingerboard material selections...nice and dense and hard cuz wen you play plenty da buggah wea down big time.
ivory is good...expensive and illegal
walrus,and fossilized stuff
den theres bone
micarta, corian and solid surface acyrlic derivitives
So concept is longevity and application is whatever you feel is right for your purposes over time.

Many people think the saddle is slotted for the strings too...but what they see is grooves produced by string vibration over time..so the buggah does wear....laters   ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us