Send Topic Print
5mm pearl dot inlay (Read 2053 times)
hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
5mm pearl dot inlay
Feb 16th, 2004 at 5:11pm

I need to put some 5mm pearl dots in my fretboard, and was wondering what the key is to drilling and setting them in so they are flush with the fretboard. Since these are small, I can't get a forstner type bit to cut a flat bottom hole. What kine drill and how deep a hole? And what kind of glue?
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Re: 5mm pearl dot inlay
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2004 at 7:31am

Hi Jesse,
Good question...I'm just going to copy and paste a little from our 'ukulele manual' project.  This is from session 5 step 4 "installing marker dots":

Quote:
At the drill press, chuck a 3/16th bit into the spindle and adjust the depth stop to accommodate a tad less than the thickness of your 5mm marker dots. Use the tail end surface of the fingerboard to test your dot depth and fit. A portion of the tail end of the fingerboard will be cut off to accommodate the soundhole of the ukulele.

Quote:
Place your fingerboard face up on the worktable and add a drop of glue (we use tightbond) into the marker dot recesses and insert the marker dots.  It will be a very tight fit!  A plastic dead blow hammer will make short work of inserting dots.

Sand dots flush with 120-grit sand paper.  A dust mask is necessary when sanding shell since the dust will not dissipate once inhaled into your lungs.

Work up through the sanding grits in progression stopping at 220 grit. Take car wax or floor wax and put on a quick coat to the fingerboard surface.

Next is...Session 5 Step 5: Fretting

-Asa

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Re: 5mm pearl dot inlay
Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2004 at 7:54pm

Thanks for the help on the marker dots. When it comes to sanding down dots, is there a hardness difference between abalone and MOP? 
I've also heard that a luthier can have someone laser cut customized MOP inlays for the headstock.  Does anyone here know of a shop that does that and about what it costs? I'm not very good at cutting blank sheets (or shells). Mahalo! Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us