HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Grain filler (Read 3163 times)
grandma

Grain filler
Feb 17th, 2004 at 10:07am

Aloha!

Was wondering if anybody had tips on the type and color (if any) of grain filler to use on koa and mango prior to finishing.  And the prefered finish for a shiny and durable uke!  Thanks much.

grandma

IP Logged

Dominator

Re: Grain filler
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2004 at 12:22pm

Grandma,
Follow this link for info on a durable gloss finish using McFadden's Nitrocellulose Lacquer and fillers.
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2004/292.cfm?

HTH,
Dominator

IP Logged

grandma

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2004 at 1:58pm

Thanks much Dominator.  I'll look into it.

Grandma

IP Logged

grandma

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2004 at 2:13pm

Dominator-

Looks like good product.  The problem is that I have a compressor but NO dust free area available.  The filler would be OK, but is there a finish method where dust wouldn't be a major concern?  I understand spraying produces a better result- what about brushing on a lacquer finish?  More sanding? Tongue

grandma

IP Logged

JonY

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2004 at 5:12am

Hey grandma
I have been trying the stew mac Clear water based grain filler and it seems to work just great. You just brush it on and squegee it off let dry and sand. It dries fairly quick and is about 14.00 a can. so far I have used it on about 7 ukes with different types of koa some with very large grain pockets and it seems to work just great. I have experimented with your off the shelf items(I have even tried darkening and tinting them)  but do not like that light color that ends up filling the dark end grain. I have used multiple coats of this and have had excellent results. It can be used under water based finishes and nitrocellulose lacquer.
Hope This Helps 
JonY Roll Eyes

IP Logged

JonY

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2004 at 5:19am

About the brush on lacquer... they have a special lacquer from stew mac also made for "brushing on" I havent tried this yet.. and do not think I will but would be interested to know how well it works. They say it has a retarder in it to aid in flow to reduce brush marks.
I know I sound like a stew mac ad but I am about to try some of their water base stuff since this grain filler worked so well.
JonY

IP Logged

grandma

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2004 at 5:49am

Hey JonY-

Thanks for the tips.  I'll check out the Stew-Mac website.  I was under the impression that a tinted grain filler brings out more of the koa's beauty.  Is that true, or does tinting hide it? 

grandma

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2004 at 3:08pm

aloha g.mama!

I twere an eye witness at Jon Y's shop and got a hands on experience withhis grain filler: Color tone water base clear gel....as Mr. Y states:  goes on supah easy, squeegees off right nice and sands like a dream! This really works and is a nice filler, period. I got me can in the mail a few days ago and will use it and post my results wen pau!I've used micro bead filler, behlens, minwax, and I usuallu add a touch of dye solution to darken up the fillers...very dark, walnut to black...looks bettah than natural which looks like you made a huge mistake!    will let you know in a week...laters  ukeman

IP Logged

JonY

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2004 at 3:11pm

Grandma,  I havent tried tinting the clear filler but have tried a few different colors with the regular water based wood filler and found that any color you add will do something to change the color of the wood if this is positive or negative would be a personal thing. of the 7 that I used this on I have strung up 4 and am now wondering if this affects the sound also. not in a bad way though. the ukes came out with a much deeper tone than usual. good volume too. I am wondering if because it is applied in a liquid form (about the consistancy of maple syrup) if it is acting as some form of wood stabilizer. Anyone??
JonY Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us