HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Spanish heel slots (Read 2099 times)
Ukeman

Re: Spanish heel slots
Mar 17th, 2004 at 1:14pm

aloha dere..soggy boy Brent:

Your spanish heel slot question:
Main thing the slot is cut accurately and blade thickness is not too much of an issue unless you are using ultra thin kerf blades which would make the slots too small to accept the sides. Most blades produce about 1/8 inch thick kerf slots and thats cool...yup mainthing you can get the shims in to tighten sides to heel slot from the inside of the uke.Remember you no need put glue on the edges of the sides going into the heel slot.
Lots of guitar makers with the spanish method cut large slots and simple use large wedge shims to tighten sides to heel slot ...check out Guitar Making a tradition via Natleson and Campiano..

ok  have fun!  ukeman

IP Logged

Jesse Tinsley

Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2004 at 1:47pm

A related question:
I have cut my slots, put on the sides and closed up the sound box. I notice now that there is a slight gap showing between the side and heel block. What can I fill that with? Someone mentioned stick shellac. I have wood filler, but the space is so small that it will be hard to sand out if I put on too much of anything.
Kokua appreciated. Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

soggyboy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2004 at 7:58pm

Thanks for the response ukeman.  Learn something new every day.

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2004 at 10:44am

aloha Jess...related answer in this spanish heel to side connections....wedges are really important cuz they allow you to wedge the sides up tight to the heel slot from within the instrument so the fit is TIGHT! Then there is no need for fillers and meticulous fustrating urge to cross grain sanding of this heel area.The area is a bitch and is so important to have looking spot on! So no forget to wedge and wedge good wen assemblying sides to neck via spanish style.....aloha   ukeman

IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2004 at 7:59am

Yeah, Ukeman, I screwed up.
I usually use wedges or paper shims, but on my last one I decided to narrow the heel block a little after the sides were on, and when I did that, it revealed a tiny gap. My fault. 
I used one of those wax filler pencils and just kept rubbing until it was gone, then wiped the rest off.
Live and learn! Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us