HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Show off your Uke Here! (Read 117164 times)
RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Show off your Uke Here!
Apr 13th, 2004 at 7:18pm

Ok folks lets see your ukes! Here's mine.

Thanks Hana Lima 'Ia and Asa!
WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

Hana Lima Ia
YaBB Administrator

Build an Uke!

Honolulu, HI
Show off your Uke Here!
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 9:56am

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

Hana Lima 'Ia
IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Re: Show off your Uke Here!
Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2004 at 2:24pm

Ok-so no-one wants to show their ukes, lol afraid I'll try to copy it? As the saying goes,  it's the best form of flattery. Cheesy

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2004 at 8:38pm

Hey RCHawaii, very nice work!  I especially like what you've done with the bridge and soundhole designs. 

Also good to get another look at your uke Jesse, the binding really does work out well.  The bound fretboard is a smooth detail!  I hope the uke projects are going well.  Should be warming up over there for more outdoor work Smiley

-Asa

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2004 at 11:33pm

Nice to see ya Asa. The Bridge was some work. After carving it out mostly by hand with a sharp knife, I dug out the trough for the saddle by hand.
It's got pretty good sound, I'm happy with it.

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2004 at 12:52pm

Ok folks.  It's not all mine cause it is a kit.  I am new to uke building and thought I would get my feet wet by building a couple of kits and this is my first one.  So no original designs here.  Got to play with inlay techniques, bolt on neck joint, fretboard construction, bridge placement and saddle compensation.  Made mucho mistakes and learned a lot.  Going to do one more of these for a family memeber and then try to catch up will you all and bend some sides and start from scratch on a mahogany tenor kit I got from Asa on EvilBay.

BTW, since I put the Aquilla strings on they are starting to settle in and it is sounding a little better than it did at first.  It isn't very loud and kinda kerplunks along but it appears to be playing in tune with itself up the neck.  Hurray!  That was what I was hoping for.

BTW, What is the trick to post more than one pic at a time?  I clicked the IMG link thingy again but the other pic does not show up.  Thanks,
Dominator

EDIT: Thanks for the info RC.  I am still doing something wrong though.  I will try later as I must go to work.
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2004 at 6:07am by Dominator »  
IP Logged

Rix

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2004 at 2:09pm

rchawaii,
thats got to be the most unique bridge i have ever seen.
very nice.

i have alot more to go on my uke.

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #7 - May 18th, 2004 at 10:04pm

The uke looks great Dominator-it's all a learning process so a Kit would have probably helped me alot but alas, I had materials in hand, and no patience for waiting.  I have a couple requests as well, but I will practice a lot before I make one for anyone but myself. You have it right though, if ya got the scale right, it's all downhill from there and just the manual work. Your kit looks like a very clean build.

Thanks Rix-I took a piece of Koa and with the bandsaw and patience cut the shape out (used a drill for the pukas and was pretty careless with it lol) of a solid piece. When I was done, I was aboe to get three of those bridges out of of the one piece of scrap koa. Believe it or not the channels I cut out by hand with an xacto blade and cleaned it up at the end with sandpaper.

What is also "original" is the fret markers. I had some thick-walled aluminum tubing which came off an old vacuum motor (industrial type) which was a 4" spacer for the motor body. I sliced off a few pices and drilled holes and installed into the board. I saw it on a guitar and used that idea. ( left the center of the "tube" markers unfilled-but could easily put MOP or similar in the center. Asa's MOP pieces are almost a perfect fit (5mm I believe)
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2008 at 10:11pm by Hana Lima Ia »  

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #8 - May 18th, 2004 at 10:13pm

Hello everyone,
An old friend here at Hanalima has sent us a photo of his most recent tenor uke:
James was one of Hanalima's first alumni many years ago so this is obviously not his first uke.  He has taken it past the basic uke we teach here and it looks great! 

Thanks for the pictures James!

-Asa

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #9 - May 21st, 2004 at 12:11pm

yoooo...king moon pie ok Mr Manley to me! Love your latest uke...mano the shark is a cool inlay parting the waters swimmin down the fingerboard.....also must give you a big thumbs up for that headstock log...ono!

Guess the east coast must shake their heads wen dey see you coming with this 'ukulele stuff huh! Alls i can say is keep up the good work....laters   ukeman

yup the rosette inlay gots some nice detail in the inlay of your abalone...gettin old but still can see!

IP Logged

kingkimo64

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - May 21st, 2004 at 1:44pm

Shootz Thanks Uke Man i sure had good teaching from you those years ago.I am so excited to see so many great makers on your site.These luthiers ova heah didnt know what hit them.Keep up the great work guys this is my first uke after a 4 year lay off so im a bit rusty.Peace.

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - May 21st, 2004 at 7:22pm

KinKimo,
I could sure use a little of that rust you say you have.  That uke looks awesome.  Thanks for letting Asa show it off for you.
Dominator

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #12 - May 22nd, 2004 at 12:03am

Wow nice work ~Gotta love that deep water feel! Welcome

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

kingkimo64

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - May 22nd, 2004 at 1:45am

Thanks dominator i have recieved great comps on this uke i will send better pictures in da future after im done with the next uke Grin

IP Logged

kingkimo64

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - May 22nd, 2004 at 1:49am

Mahalo RChawaii i miss that deep blue feeling Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us