HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Show off your Uke Here! (Read 113495 times)
lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Re: Show off your Uke Here!
Reply #90 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 8:52pm

And this is my wife Deborah's uke.  It's her first.  We have each built a guitar also.  The pictures don't do it justice.  There is a flower inlaid on the back of the neck.

Lefty

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #91 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 7:40am

Lefty, I am glad you got these posted because they are really cool!   Shocked    Both the quality of your ukes and check out these photos!  Professional quality white room!

The natural rough edge bridge is beautiful, excellent touch.
Tasteful choice of materials, I like the all-natural look.  Outstanding. 

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #92 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 7:46am

Asa,

Thanks for the kind words.  I am real happy with the looks, hope it sounds good.  I started the uke in a guitar making class at Palomar College in Northern San Diego County in September.  Finished them just in time for the year end banquet then delivered them to the Del Mar Fair where they will be on display with other student projects.
  The photos were taken at the banquet by a professional photographer so I can't take credit for that.

Thanks for your comments,
Lefty

IP Logged

obmissy

San Diego
Reply #93 - Jun 7th, 2008 at 7:36pm

Hi Lefty,
I'll look for your 'uke at the fair.  I didn't finish mine in time. I'll be working in the old fashioned cabinet shop making chairs so be sure I will ogle your beautiful 'uke.

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #94 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 2:32pm

Hello Obmissy,
  Are you a student at Palomar?

IP Logged

Murray

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles
Reply #95 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 9:08pm

Talk about six degrees of separation, I have a friend that's a teacher at Palomar!  He teaches ESL.

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #96 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 9:20pm

Hey, it's a very smal planet.

Smiley

IP Logged

dochughes

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #97 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 9:06am

Hi guys!  Even though this is my first post, I've been lurking (i.e., a daily visitor!) for a year or more.  

I purchased a tenor uke kit from Hana Lima last year, started it over Thanksgiving weekend, and finished it this week.  Thought I'd post some pics of the final product.  

I want to thank Mike and Asa for a great manual that provided such detailed instructions that I rarely had to look for help elsewhere - but when I did, I either found my answer here on the message board, or they were gracious in quickly answering my emails.  You guys are the greatest!

Here are the pics - now that I've made my first post, I imagine I'll be posting more often:

IP Logged

konacat
Big Uke

The only thing worse than
my playing is my singing

Reply #98 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 7:03pm

Dochughes,

Wow! You did a fantastic job on your first ukulele. Have you built other instruments before? Well it doesn’t matter because you produced a ukulele that you can be proud of.  Nice design on the headstock and you did a great job on the rosette and inlay.  Yes, I agree that Mike and Asa have produced a wonderful product in their building manual. The manual basically follows their building classes giving everyone a great platform to learn from.  It may just be the photo but it appears the string spacing on the nut may not be even.  If so it’s an easy fix. You really did a nice job. Smiley

Philip

IP Logged

Murray

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles
Reply #99 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 8:43pm

If this is your first Uke, VERY impressive! Grin

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #100 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 10:17pm

Hey Doc,

What a beauty.  Looks great.  I really like the bound headstock.

Lefty

IP Logged

dochughes

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #101 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 10:25am

Thanks, guys, for your kind words.  This is my first instrument, and I found the process of making it immensely rewarding.  Truly, it was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done.  I'm really looking forward to the next ones - I've started two more, but they've been put on the back burner while I make some changes to my garage/shop area to better accommodate uke-building.  

Konacat, I hadn't noticed before, but I checked the strings at the nut and I think you're right - a bit uneven.  I'll have to correct that.  I"m still in the process of finding the strings I want to use on it.  Originally I was going to set this up with low-G tuning, but in the process of making the little scallops on the back edge of the bridge I over-did it, and didn't leave enough room on the compensated bridge to allow for the string holes.  So I switched to uncompensated bridge, and have it set up with re-entrant tuning.  I'd still like to try low-G strings on it, though.  Right now I've got it set up with Hilo high tension strings, and I don't particularly like them.  I'd like to try some Aquila's on it.

Anyway, thanks again for the compliments.  I really appreciate them!
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2008 at 4:44pm by dochughes »  

IP Logged

Wood_Butcher
Junior Uke

Without music, the world
would Bb.

Lake Stevens, WA
Reply #102 - Jul 6th, 2008 at 1:02pm

dochughes,

I am in awe of you abalone purflings Smiley.  Can you direct me towards any info on the techniques that you used on them?

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks, Mike and Asa!

IP Logged

dochughes

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #103 - Jul 7th, 2008 at 3:28am

Wood_Butcher wrote on Jul 6th, 2008 at 1:02pm:
dochughes,

I am in awe of you abalone purflings Smiley.  Can you direct me towards any info on the techniques that you used on them?

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks, Mark.  I was a little nervous about the process, but it proved to be very simple.  I got the paua inlay material from Hana Lima.  I know I've seen the instructions elsewhere, but the only place I can find them this AM is on the Stew-Mac website, and it's only a picture.

Shell inlay picture

Here is a brief rundown of the procedure, since it doesn't say much on that web page:  I was using the Hana Lima faux tortoise shell binding (which is actually polyethylene and very easy to work with), so I used Stew-Mac's Weld-On Cement for gluing on the binding.  At the time that I glued on the binding I also glued on the black/white/black accent strips with a strip of the no-stick filler strip in between, just like it shows in the picture.  

That filler strip really works as advertised - after allowing time for the glue to dry, I just popped it right out, which created a perfect channel for the paua strips.  Adding those was really fun - you just slip them in the channel, and as you go around the curves you break off pieces in lengths short enough to make the curve.  most of the time I did that with my fingers, but sometimes I needed a pair of needle nosed pliers for breaking the shorter pieces.  

Anyway, once I had them broken to length and fit in the channel I flowed super glue over it until all the spaces around the shell were filled.  Sanding down that hard shell flush with the soundboard was the toughest part of the whole procedure.  Scraper may work better.

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #104 - Jul 7th, 2008 at 9:22pm

Doc,
Thanks for the explination.  I have thought about doing that kind of inlay but put it off for another build.  Now, maybe I am ready.
  You stated that you "Break off pieces in lengths short enough to make the curve."  Do you have to dress the ends of the broken pieces so they butt against each other?  That is the part I am not clear on.

Thanks,
Lefty

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us