HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Show off your Uke Here! (Read 116853 times)
dochughes

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Show off your Uke Here!
Reply #105 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 2:31am

lefty wrote on Jul 7th, 2008 at 9:22pm:
Do you have to dress the ends of the broken pieces so they butt against each other?  That is the part I am not clear on.

Hey Lefty -

No dressing is necessary.  You just push the pieces up tight together, and glue 'em in!  The paua already has irregular dark lines running all through it, and whatever small gaps are left between pieces are totally camouflaged by those.  You really have to look hard to see the joint lines between sections.

As you already know, the story on the rosette is different.  Those pieces, because of their width, do require dressing to get the pieces joined nicely - but that's been discussed on the board before.

Tim

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #106 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 7:32am

Thanks Tim.  Sounds pretty slick.

Thanks

Thought I would share a jig I made for fitting the rosette pieces.  Just put a piece in the channel on the right side with the end extending over the edge and sand with a sanding block.

">...

Lefty

IP Logged

dochughes

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #107 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 6:54am

I actually copied your jig (I found it in an earlier post) and used it for dressing my rosette, Lefty!  I found that the rough side of a diamond finger nail file worked quickest and easiest of anything for smoothing up the end.

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #108 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 7:36am

Great.  Glad you liked it.

What's next on the bench?

Lefty

IP Logged

dochughes

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #109 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 12:42pm

Some time back I started a bubinga/western cedar concert, which was a second kit that I ordered from Hana Lima, and a claro walnut/figured redwood tenor.  But I'm doing some re-arranging in my shop area and haven't gotten back to them yet.  Hope to get back after them before too long.

In addition to the ukes themselves, I've got several projects intended to make the building process easier - I've got a handful of jigs I want to build, plans for a thickness sander, and a ancient jointer that belonged to my dad that I want to get fixed up and working again.

So lots of stuff on the table.

IP Logged

Wood_Butcher
Junior Uke

Without music, the world
would Bb.

Lake Stevens, WA
Reply #110 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:49am

dochughes,

I have a few more questions about you purfling inlays.

Did you use the curved abalone pieces from the rosettes that Hanalima sells to do all your purflings?

Did you seal your soundboard before using the super glue to keep it from staining the surface?

I am wondering whose bwb  you used and were you able to do the rosette groove with a single router pass, like a 3/16 or 1/4" bit?

If you have a closeup of the binding /purfling, it would be really great to see.

Sorry about all the questions, but the idea of doing this is overwhelming and any advice is greatly appreciated.  Keep up the great work.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks, Mike and Asa!

IP Logged

dochughes

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #111 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 6:19pm

Hi Mark -

I'm happy to answer your questions but feel a little inept - I've built only one uke start to finish, so my experience is very limited; however, I can tell you my experiences on that one.  Maybe others will have something to add.

I used 1/16" (.063") paua purfling that came from Hana Lima, although when I checked the shop store today they don't have any listed, so they may be out.  You can find it in a number of places - if you look on Ebay and search for "paua inlay" you can find it there.  Anyway, I just used straight pieces that were an inch long each, and broke them into the channel, as I explained before.  

The curve pieces sold by Hana Lima for the rosette are much wider - 1/8", I think.  The .063" width is available curved (at StewMac), but it's not necessary, from my experience.  

I did not seal my soundboard before using the superglue, although I've read that it's possible in some woods for superglue to penetrate the wood and cause staining - in the spruce top that I used, the superglue didn't cause any problems.

The black/white/black trim I used came from Stew-Mac - here's a link to the stuff I used.  I chose the narrower .040" because I wanted the subtle look.

I used a hole cutter on my drill press for cutting the channel for the rosette, which I didn't find to be all that suitable a method.  First, the bottom of the cut channel isn't flat - it's sloped, like the cutter.  Also, the width of the cutter was a little narrower than the width that I needed, so I had to move the position of the cutter and widen the channel - but I got it a little too wide when I did.  It's satisfactory, but not ideal, and that was frustrating.  Routing would probably be a better way to do it.

I don't have a close-up pic of the purfling, but I'll try to get one and post it tomorrow.  I'll try to show the breaks.

Tim

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #112 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 9:54pm

Mark,
 I have only done 3 rosette inlays and I really suggest you put a coat of shellac on prior to useing super glue.
 On this curly redwood top I sealed the top with shellac and then cut the rosette out.  I glued the shell rosette (from Hana Lima) in with super glue.  The glue soaked all the way through the top.  Luckily I had a piece of wax paper underneath or I would have glued it to the bench.  
 If you look at the photo you can see some staining around the sound hole brace.

There was no staining on the top.

Hope this helps,
Lefty

IP Logged

Wood_Butcher
Junior Uke

Without music, the world
would Bb.

Lake Stevens, WA
Reply #113 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 3:42am

Tim,

Thanks for the good info.  It cleared up a lot of confusion about the materials.  I am thinking about french polishing my next project, so I will seal with shellac before doing the inlays.  I'm not sure if Tru-oil will work over a shellac seal coat.  Maybe the shellac would sand off in the levelling process?  Anyone have an answer?

Mark

Thanks, Mike and Asa!

IP Logged

Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
Reply #114 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 10:15am

Newest concert uke in koa from Likeke.

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #115 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 7:58pm

Great job Likeke,
I really like your logo on the headstock.

Out of curiosity, if you were to sell that, how much would you ask.
I am trying to figure out what I should charge for when I start building quality products like you have here.
Thanks
Bob

IP Logged

dochughes

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #116 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 3:32am

Hey Mark -

Here are the close-up pics of the purfling that I promised:

With regard to your other question, I read somewhere that you can use shellac under Tru-oil, and I was thinking I'd try it on my next uke myself.

IP Logged

dochughes

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #117 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 3:34am

Likeke wrote on Jul 13th, 2008 at 10:15am:
Newest concert uke in koa from Likeke . . .

Beautiful.  I love the koa.

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #118 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 8:41am

Rich,
  That is beautiful.  Also enjoyed your web site.

Lefty

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #119 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 8:42am

Almost forgot.

Tim, I really like that shell work.

Lefty

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us