HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Show off your Uke Here! (Read 113285 times)
Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
Re: Show off your Uke Here!
Reply #120 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 11:13am

This is my latest build. A Cocobolo low g concert uke with Englemann spruce top.  Faux turquoise dots and bridge trim.  Hummingbird inlay and sound port.

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #121 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 12:40pm

Beautiful!

Is that a hummingbird inlay on the side? How do you do that on a curved surface?

What finish did you use and how many coats.

Nice work.

Bob

IP Logged

Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
Reply #122 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 12:42pm

Bob, the hummingbird on the side is a sound port.  The finish on top if french polish with matte finish and the sides and back are Colortone water-based lacquer. Thanks!

IP Logged

Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
Reply #123 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 12:45pm

Oh Bob, regarding coats.  If you go to the Stewmac site under free information there is a schedule of finishing with water-based lacquer.  I filled the grain with West Epoxy, followed by 12 coats of grain sealer followed by 12 coats of topcoat.  These are not distinct coats in the traditional sense since each application bonds chemically with the previous application.  Polishing is done with micromesh from 1500 through to 12000 grit followed by Maguiers swirl remover.

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #124 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 12:49pm

I have been considering two puka and "F holes" for my next ukulele but that sound port looks so neat.

Bob

IP Logged

Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
Reply #125 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 12:58pm

Bob, many of my luthier friends have been using sound ports on their guitars so I thought I'd try one.  I'm sold on them. This is the second one I built with sound port.  This one being a bit large than last.  It really works and doesn't diminish the sound coming out the front.  I can more than hold my own in jams.  In fact, yesterday at a kani, I had to play more gently not to overwhelm others.

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #126 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 1:07pm

Wow, that is a mighty pretty uke.  If you get a chance could you add a closeup photo of the bridge and the sound port.

Just curious.  If you applied a coat of epoxy why was it necessary to apply the coats of grain filler.

Thanks,
Lefty

IP Logged

Likeke
Junior Uke

Do it with Aloha!

Issaquah, WA
Reply #127 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 1:20pm

The Colortone schedule calls for the buildup of coats using "sealer" not filler followed by lacquer topcoat.

IP Logged

dochughes

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #128 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:25pm

All I can say is, WOW!  BEAUTIFUL job!

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #129 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:22pm

Beautiful job Likeke.

I have started my second build finally, and it feels sooooooo good to get back into it.
Plus in 6 days I will start taking my classes at Hana Lima, so I will actually be working on 2 at once come next week.
Keep us updated on your future builds, you are a true crafts man.

Aloha
Bob

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #130 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 9:12pm

Thanks Rich,

Beautiful work.

Lefty

IP Logged

Wood_Butcher
Junior Uke

Without music, the world
would Bb.

Lake Stevens, WA
Reply #131 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 6:50am

Yahoo!!!

Wow. When I got online to post, I was amazed by all the ukes that have been posted lately.  Great work everybody.  Very inspiring.

Finally got my first uke strung up.  Looked at the receipts a while back and noticed my kit from Hanalima was dated 9/3/04.  Actually have a few things to clean up, but got impatient to hear how it sounds.  Hope I have the discipline to go back and finish them up.

I used lemon oil on my fretboard, but not happy with it.  Is fretboard oil the way to go?

My uke is sitting on the mango for a future baritone build.  Anyone seen the plans for a full body version(hint, hint!).  Like the looks of the cutaway, but am a little intimidated by the side/neck interface.

Also would like to build in koa with a little curly material.  Anyone have some suggestions on where to find some.  I've googled around but selections seem limited.

Thank you,

Mark

Thanks, Mike and Asa!

IP Logged

Acabooe
Big Uke

Nanakuil Hawai'i
Reply #132 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 8:32am

Hey woodbutcher, your uke looks great.

I use dutch oil on my fret boards, and it works really well.
Just make sure that after you put it on, you wipe off all of the excess, or there will be a difference in the color later on.

As far as were to get koa I have a few suggestions.

Try www.curlykoa.com it is from a company on the mainland, and IMHO there prices are reasonable. They sell Koa, Mango, and maybe more, I don't remember.

You could also try going on ebay and searching for the seller mackieorchids and sending them a mail telling them what you are looking for.
They are located on the Big Isand of Hawai'i, so shipping might be a lil bit expensive, but they have some good stuff.

I hope these can help you.
If not you might ask philip ( konacat ) because he knows other ones that I don't

Take care,
Bob

IP Logged

lefty
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Riverside, California
Reply #133 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 9:12am

Mark,

Very nice looking ukulele.  You should be proud.

Bob is right about curlykoa.com.  They are located in Dufur, OR. and have some really nice stuff.  I have bought a few sets from them (for future builds) and they were a great company to do business with.

Tell em Lefty sent ya,   Grin
Lefty

IP Logged

unkabob
Big Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #134 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 1:30pm

I think that Bob is referring to Danish oil. It should be available at Home Depot. This stuff soaks in to the wood and is good for two coats about one hour apart (see the can). After the wood is sealed it takes several days for a coat to dry. Sunlight helps it dry,sort-of. I should be doing that job tomorrow.

Bob

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us