HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Show off your Uke Here! (Read 117146 times)
Howard

Re: Show off your Uke Here!
Reply #15 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 7:53am

OK, here's mine.  It's my third one.  My first one wasn't so hot.  The second, not too bad.  This one's better, much better.  Mahogany body, rosewood fretboard/bridge, tortoise binding, water slip decal on headstock (cause I can't inlay, yet).  At some point in the future I'm going to do an abalone soundhole inlay, I wonder how much material I'm going to consume learning how to do that....

Howard

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #16 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 1:11pm

http://www.geocities.com/paradiseukes/3concert.jpg

This one works if clicked on..(Reason is geocites remote linking policy I imagine.)

http://www.geocities.com/paradiseukes/3concertpeghead.jpg - this one comes to a blank page for me.

Looks great! I made your pics links, they wouldn't load for me. Nice work. Take your time on the inlay stuff and if it gives you fits maybe you can try the inlace products too.

Thanks Hana Lima 'Ia and Asa!
WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 7:01pm

Howard,
Nice job on the uke.  It looks great.  Looks like a zero fret eh?  Keep em coming.  I do have a couple of off topic questions.  Could you please email me at  dominic@rcsis.com
Thanks,
Dominator
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2004 at 9:31am by Dominator »  
IP Logged

paradiseukes

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 12:49pm

Embarrassed Darn, just like my first ukulele!  I'm working on a webpage where the pictures can be found.  Sorry....

Howard

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #19 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 1:13pm

Hey-whats the secret Dom? I can use all the help I can get now, don't be hiding information Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2008 at 10:17pm by Hana Lima Ia »  

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

paradiseukes

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #20 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 1:29pm

Ok, here is the address where the pictures will be found.  Shown here is my third attempt at ukulele making.  It's a regular mahogany concert size.  It features mahogany soundbox (to protect my wallet in case of a major OOPS), tortoise binding (to hide the crummy fit between the top and sides), maple peghead overlay with waterslide decal (to compensate for lack of inlaying ability).  Actually it turned out pretty nice.  It plays well, and sounds pretty nice.  The asymmetrical peghead design allows for a comfortable fingering of chords like Fm, left elbow out style, although it makes it more difficult to hang.

http://www.geocities.com/paradiseukes/

Howard

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #21 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 1:53pm

Not only is it sweet looking that water slide decal is nice too. Make a nice inlay itself don't ya think Cheesy Thanks for the link.

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 6:20am

RC,
No big secret.  I just wanted to talk to Howard about his label on the inside.  Wanted know what software he used etc.

I agree that his logo would make a pretty cool inlay.  A pretty challenging one at that.

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #23 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 10:23am

I was just messin with ya lol.  Lips Sealed Tongue Grin Did I get booted from the 4th peg yet? Tongue

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reply #24 - Jun 27th, 2004 at 8:13pm

Hi Everyone,
I just got back from Maui and I spent two days at George Kahumoku's Slack Key Workshop.  It was fun and educational as you would imagine, and I got to see lots of great ukes in the hands of the faculty and students of the camp. There were ukes by Mele, Po Mahina, G-String, Kamaka, Fluke and others. All were beautiful and sounded great.
I was able to hear Richard Ho'opi'i in concert, accompanied only by his six-string Kamaka, and that reminded me again of how profound the simple uke/voice combination can be.
I took my dolphin-cutout round "yewk" (see above) and got it signed by Led Kaapana, Bob Brozman, George and Keoki Kahumoku and others. Each played it for a few minutes and were complimentary despite its crudeness.
Asa asked about the alternating purfling on my tenor posted above. I cut a purfling groove that wasn't quite as deep as the binding would be, then glued up some 1/8"x1/8"x 2' strips of alternating poplar and mahogany until I had a strip about 1" wide, then sanded one side on the belt sander. Then I chopped the strip into 1/4" sections and glued them in place one by one so I didn't have to bend a long pieces of flimsy purfling. I used plenty of glue to fill small voids. Then I cut the binding channel, going deeper than the purfling and cutting into the side enough to just barely cut into the purfling and smooth it out. Then I used prebent mahogany binding to fill that channel, again using plenty of glue to fill voids. It worked out okay, but I've been building with whatever I have in the shop and the combo of yew, mahogany and popular is kind of ugly.
But I'll do the alternating purfling again.
A lot of great ukes being posted here. My round thingamajig caught peoples' eyes on Maui and started a lot of conversations with "What IZ dat ting, brah?"
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #25 - Jun 27th, 2004 at 9:55pm

Welcome back Jess-glad to hear you had a good time in Maui. Wish I woulda known, I would have sent you to my mother in laws jewelry shop in Kihei. Sad Maybe next time.

On the baritone, which has been lots of work lol, I used alternating zebrawood, mango and KOA strips. It's not striking, unless you work with wood or apppreciate the stuff. It's not done, I'm still applying the finish, but will post some pics soon. The sound hole has no work on it, just a plane ole' puka. I guess you could almost call it simple but elegant, with a little western flair. Cheesy

So..what was the highlight for you at the workshop?

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reply #26 - Jun 28th, 2004 at 11:15am

Hi RC and hanalima gang,

The workshop was a wonderful time in all respects, and I learned a lot about the music and its heritage. I also had a hard time finding live Hawaiian music to listen to.
I asked around Maui for places to see uke and traditional Hawaiian music and most just scratched their heads. Some suggested George Kahumoku's Tuesday night slack key series ($35 a ticket at the Ritz), but nothing besides that.  I did hear some oldtime music at a luau we attended and on the radio (KNUI).
For most visitors to Maui, the uke is just a souvenir to look at and marvel over, but it was hard to find a pro playing one in public.  On the other hand, at least a dozen kids (under 20) took my uke and played a few chords on it (some reggae) to show they're trying to learn. Most don't have money for a decent uke.
Most of the workshop students had beautiful/expensive ukes to play and they sounded great.  I went into Lahaina Music to look at ukes and the guy acted like I was bothering him, so I left.  
I was able to play informally for several tourists I met and many enjoyed the quiet sound of the uke as an accompaniment to their vacation.
It is sad to see what a condo ghetto/tourist trap Maui has become (my first time there) and even sadder to not hear much traditional music being played. But whenever I met a uke or Hawaiian music fan there, it was an instant bond of friendship and aloha.
Jesse Tinsley

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2008 at 10:18pm by Hana Lima Ia »  

IP Logged

achock
Big Uke

Hanalima.com forever!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reply #27 - Jun 28th, 2004 at 7:26pm

Hi Jesse,
Welcome home, I’m glad you had a safe trip to the islands.  It sounds like you were a little disappointed by the lack of true Hawaiian culture available….I can’t say that I blame you.  Allow me to rant about the current state of our Island’s cultural awareness.

It amazes me that there is absolutely no formal museum or collection of Hawaiian ‘Ukuleles.  In a place where our number one industry is tourism we have somehow overlooked the reason why many people bother to fly across the Pacific to spend some time here.  Many aspects of our Hawaiian culture that are completely unique to these islands have been ignored.  Currently there are more hula halaus in Japan than there are here.  The fact that the largest formal museum for the historical Hawaiian ‘Ukulele is not in Hawaii is a little strange to me.

Today an article in the Honolulu Advertiser revealed Gov. Linda Lingle’s plan to cut 61% of the money allocated to the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts.  Currently the annual budget is nearly $1.2 million.  After the planed cut of more than $730,000 the State Foundation of Culture and the Arts will be left with a budget of $470,000 a year.  The Foundation supports 110 nonprofit arts organizations (the ‘Ukulele Guild of Hawaii is not one of them) with this budget.  Among these organizations are:
·      Honolulu Academy of Arts
·      Honolulu Theater for Youth
·      Contemporary Museum
·      Maui Academy of Performing Arts
·      Maui Arts and Culture Center
·      Volcano Arts Center
·      Kona Association of the Performing Arts
·      Kahilu Theater Foundation

Read the article here: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Jun/28/ln/ln03a.html

The proposed budget cut is very bad news to those organizations that can’t cover their own expenses.  It is also very bad news for the preservation of Hawaii’s dying culture. 

Luckily the ‘Ukulele Guild of Hawaii is member driven.
http://www.ukuleleguild.org

Those of you who join the guild are supporting the common goal of keeping one aspect of Hawaii’s culture alive and well in the islands.  We have come a long way in just over 2 short years.  These proposed budget cuts along with Jesse’s comments are more reason for us to continue the Guild’s work.  Thanks to all members and supporters!

-Asa Chock

__________________________________&&&&
WWW mrachock  
IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reply #28 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 5:26am

On Maui, I could have seen Marty Dread playing somewhere every night. Finding Hawaiian music was nearly impossible, but the musicians are out there, working hotel bars and luaus.
There are plenty of Hawaiians and Hawaiians at heart keeping the uke and other traditional music alive on Maui, but it's hardly a living.  Garrett Probst and Peter De Aquino, the young uke instructors at Kahumoku's workshop, play small gigs as Da Ukulele Boyz, but it's rare enough that you better not blink or you'll miss them.
George Kahumoku said if he wanted to perform slack key regularly it would have to be in a bar at a hotel, so he decided to start the Ritz-Carlton concert series and take another teaching job in Lahaina.
With the median home price on Maui at $625,000, there isn't much chance for any musician to make a home there and play music.
But I'm trying to figure out a way...
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

MattsUkes

too many ideas, too little
time

Kula, HI
Reply #29 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 8:58am

Jesse,
   You left Maui too soon!   This past Sunday was the 16th annual Ki Ho`alu Slack Key Guitar Festival at the Maui Arts and Cultural Center.   A free event full of fantastic slack key (and a uke or two for good measure). It was a great day of live traditional music.   Admitedly, it is tough to find out when and where the uke is being played, ... lot's easier to hear Jawaiian, ...    ... look for the benefit concerts, ... that's where you will find Hawaiians playing their ukes.

Aloha,
   Matt

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us