HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Show off your Uke Here! (Read 113485 times)
Rick

Portland Oregon
Re: Show off your Uke Here!
Reply #30 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 8:16pm

Just finished my second Tenor uke, using the Hana Lima fan braced plans. Koa back & sides with a spruce top, ebony binding, fretboard & bridge. I'm here in Oregon, but built it for my father inlaw on Kauai so he can either play his Martin Soprano or his own custom hand built Tenor. Many thanks to Asa for the web site and this forum which helped me complete this project. Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2008 at 10:19pm by Hana Lima Ia »  

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #31 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 6:20am

Jesse,
Glad you made it back home safe and sound.  Looks like you got off to a good start on your autographs.
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2008 at 10:20pm by Hana Lima Ia »  
IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Almost Pau braddas
Reply #32 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 1:27pm

Today I installed the tuners. All Highly polished Gotoh internal geared planetary tuners from Hana Lima 'Ia Store. I finished cleaning up the fretwire yesterday and polishing the edges. The nut still needs a little work and the finish lastly will be completed. All in all- I love it. I also picked up Hilo Baritone Strings.

I picked up a black Ebony Bridge, but can't find it, (Was having too much fun talkin to Asa and Mike and watching Asa try to kill a helicopter)  so unless it turns up here soon, I'm going to mount the mango bridge. Either way it should look very nice.

As you can see on the side view of the fretboard I installed markers (Mother of Pearl) dots (3mm) for 3 5 7  - 10, 12 and 15 are marked on the fretboard with 5 mm MOP to distinguish from the inlay itself. The large pearl dot on the fretboard is on 5 intentionally to center things up a bit for visual reference.

The binding as mentioned is Mango, Koa and Zebrawood. Not a traditional way to do it, but the traditional way is a lot of work (more so than bending small strips like this)

Hana Hou!

Thanks Hana Lima 'Ia and Asa!
WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #33 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 6:38pm

RC,
I got to hand it to you man.  You have built yourself a unique ukulele in the traditional shape.  If it sounds as good as it looks you are going to be a happy strummer very soon. Grin

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #34 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 2:49pm

Thanks Dom, I'm happy with it. And I can't wait to hear it myself. It has a modified Kasha bracing -kinda like Hapa Haoule bracing actually lol small kine eh. The backpiece behind the bridge is where the bracing radiates toward the soundhole in a fan pattern. I'm liking the lattice bracing idea as well so maybe next time. I think I can find some pre-made bracing somewhere Wink  I'm eagerly awaiting the ebony bridge from Asa before I finish it up, but that will give me time to work a little more on the finish.

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reply #35 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 6:36pm

Nice, RC!
We'd love to see an overall pic when you get it strung up.
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #36 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 7:59pm

For sure~ As soon as the Ebony bridge gets to me   ;D Seems I absentmindedly left it at Hana Lima lol. I think the ebony bridge will offset the darker colors on the top end nicely. The Mango Bridge would blend right in, because I got the mahogony matching Mango almost identically lol

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

keystrummer

Reply #37 - Jul 12th, 2004 at 3:06pm

Since I returned from my trip to Hawaii to study at Hana Lima I've been busy making jigs and fixtures to produce consistant ukes.  I've got four in various stages of completion.

I'm working on an identical version that is as light as I can put it together.  I've also a baritone and another concert in the works.

Geoff
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2008 at 10:23pm by Hana Lima Ia »  

IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reply #38 - Jul 17th, 2004 at 8:28pm

I don't have any new ukes to show, but I wanted to mention a new problem.
The spruce top on my round, dolphin-soundhole uke (picture posted above in this thread) just cracked.  While it was sitting in my locked car on a very hot day recently, a crack developed from the nose (toward the neck) and tail (toward the tail end) of the large dolphin cutout on treble side of the soundboard. It still plays fine.
But it told me that I shouldn't use a cutout that gives an easy starting point for a crack, or alternatively, put a brace behind that area to hold it together.  Perhaps that was the genesis of the original F-hole design, because the opening ends in a circle on both ends, discouraging cracks. I also learned not to leave a uke in a 150 degree car!
Because it's my beach uke that I used for autographs, I won't bother to fix it.
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #39 - Jul 18th, 2004 at 1:22am

Darn Jesse, I'm sorry to hear about the crack. That's some heat by any standard! On my Honu soundhole the entire perimeter of the soundhole is braced, but not with heat in mind. Hope it doesn't happen to me -knock on wood Cheesy

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #40 - Jul 31st, 2004 at 5:55pm

Hey Folks,
Yes RC, work does seem to get in the way.  I was out of town on business all last week and wasn't home to get anything done on my tenor.  I did manage to get a little done last weekend and a little today.

Got the fretboard radiused, frets installed, neck shaped, sanded and glued up.   Time to start on the bridge, nut and saddle.   Made plenty of mistakes on this one but isn't that what the first (and maybe second and third) on is all about Grin.  I realized that I overbraced it and so I decided to do a bare bones model and not spend the $ for any extras.  I already had the pau rosette installed so I just used pau dots to match.  But that's it.  No binding etc.  Here are a few pics of where she stand now. 
www.rockslide.org/Images/P7310989.jpg
www.rockslide.org/Images/P7310990.jpg
www.rockslide.org/Images/P7310992.jpg
Hope to get it done in the next month or so.
Dominator

IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reply #41 - Jul 31st, 2004 at 6:11pm

Bravo, Dominator! That'll look stunning when you get it the finish on it.
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #42 - Jul 31st, 2004 at 6:51pm

I couldn't agree more, very nice grain pattern on that body!

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #43 - Aug 2nd, 2004 at 4:40pm

The walnut does has some interesting figure to it.  It was actually from my scrap pile.  It had a few knots in it that I had to fill in with epoxy.  You can see one spot looking into the sound hole on the above pic.  The little black spot.  I have never used shellac before but I am thinking of trying the french polish on this one and see what happens.  I have that link to the Milburn site that has some very good info on french polishing.  I think RC also put that same link in a finishing thread recently.  Wish me luck.  Finishing of any kind has always been my achilles heal.

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #44 - Aug 3rd, 2004 at 12:35am

Awesome Dom. I bet the finish will be to die for and I don't mean having to do it. Roll Eyes Working with the Tung Oil has been enlightening. The French polishing works with it, albeit a thousand coats have been necessary. Next time, it's definitely shellac for me! Can't wait to see it done!

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us