HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Show off your Uke Here! (Read 113496 times)
RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Re: Show off your Uke Here!
Reply #45 - Aug 11th, 2004 at 6:16pm

I wanted to do a breakdown on my uke - at least for anyone who may be interested.

I got the bari strung up and the frets from buzzing now. They were buzzing because I made my corian saddle about a mm too low. That has been remedied and I'm in love. I did NOT (yet) put the pickup in the uke. It's pretty loud in fact.

The sound board was done like you saw at the hana lima plans or what they call "Sneider-kasha" style with a little modification. With the bracing radiating out from under where the bridge is seated. I was concerned that I had too much bracing, but I was very happy to find that it was quite the opposite. When you strum or pick the strings the whole top vibrates very nicely. This is not significant by itself, but it is if you think about tonal quality. As I can pluck a string and it sounds nice and deep. If I press my palm on the top of the uke(with a little pressure of course), you can hear the sound changes. It's an awesome thing really. Like having wha wha bar on it (Whatever you want to call it)

I have picked up several ukes here locally baritones and others and mine, if I do say so, sounds deeper than any other I picked up. (OK I admit, I havent touched ukemans ukes lol)

I like the bridge too-less the material than the way it's working. The saddle was only half as tall as it should have been, that was easily fixed. The saddle is glued to the top directly and under the top there is a 1/8 mohogony ply plate which those braces radiate from. The strings are tied to a ceramic bead and pulled through the brace, top and bridge. The good thing about this is that it's not pulling on the bridge, it's only pushing down on the saddle. So with that, I'm happy. I may later add little brass eyelets to insert inside the holes on the bridge.  I have some somewhere that will fit.

The hardest part of building this uke aside fomr waiting was not the finish, amazingly enough finishing doesn't bother me, its just slow and time consuming. The hardest part was bending the [Zebrawood, koa and mango] wood for the binding.

You may wonder, what would you do different? I've asked myself this, and I can honestly say, nothing.

I'm pretty sure the next one will be a Bari Cutaway.

Thanks Hana Lima 'Ia and Asa!
WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

DeVine_Guitars

Lahaina, Maui
Reply #46 - Aug 15th, 2004 at 10:46pm

Hi everyone just thought I would put up some pictures. Enjoy!
Eric DeVine
DeVine Guitars
"http://devineguitars.com/htmlContent/index.htm"

Eric DeVine

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #47 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 1:37am

Bee You tiful! Thanks for sharing Eric!
Fixed your link bud, no need the extra quotes Wink

http://devineguitars.com/htmlContent/index.htm

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #48 - Oct 2nd, 2004 at 5:18pm

Ok, I managed to complete the tenor but not without some painful lessons learned.  My original intent was to do an 18" scale length and when setting the bridge that is what I did plus an extra 1/16 for compensation.  It had been months since I slotted the fretboard and like an idiot I didn't even double check the distance from the zero fret to the 12th fret before attaching the bridge.  This is very elementary I know.  Then I realized that because my fretboard was a little short I went with a 17 7/8" scale.  The  saddle is back way too far and is playing flat up the neck.  I used bridge pins instead of a tie bridge so moving it is not an option.  I think I will have just enuff room to rout a new slot in front of the other one.  Then I will fill the old slot with a piece of walnut and pretend it was an intended inlay Roll Eyes

The strings are still settling in but it is starting to stay in tune and plays ok up to about the 5th fret before noticing the intonation problem.  As expected, from over bracing, it is not extremely loud.  On the other hand it isn't dead either.  It has a bright sound and lacks bottom end.  It has been quite a learning process.  The french polish finish was a major headache for me but I think I have it sorted out and the next one should look better in that regard.  I will let you all know if I get the intonation straightened out.
Dominator

www.rockslide.org/Images/Pa021022.jpg
www.rockslide.org/Images/Pa021024.jpg
www.rockslide.org/Images/Pa021027.jpg

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #49 - Oct 2nd, 2004 at 6:04pm

Wow Dom, sorry to hear about your woes. It sure did come out looking sweet though. I hope you get the scale sorted out- be a shame to let this one go.

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

kingkimo64

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #50 - Oct 2nd, 2004 at 6:35pm

Sweet Dom,
 I to hope you see the intonation thru.That is a great looking tenor.What woods are used?? and how did the french polish come out?I tryed french polish but no matter what technic i used my finish sucked.So i continue to burn my nose hair spraying nitro. Grin

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #51 - Oct 3rd, 2004 at 5:50am

Thanks you guys.  RC, I was wondering where you have been.  I was even thinking about starting a post to see if anyone had heard from you.  I was concerned something may be wrong.  I hope that is not the case.

The top, back and sides are book matched walnut from some scrap I had.  There were some knots that I had to fill with epoxy.  The neck is mahogany and the fretboard and bridge are rosewood.  Originally, it was just some sides for practicing with my bender but since the bending went good I decided to use them in the uke.

The French Polish finish doesn't look too bad considering what the uke has been through in the process.  Twice during the process I stripped all the shellac off to start over including a layer of Bulls Eye spray shellac that I had to steel wool off.  My biggest problem early on was having the pad way too wet which caused streading and swirls everywhere.  At one point the finish had great depth and an incredible shine.  But when you looked at it in direct light it looked horrible because of the swirls and streaks.  It really needs more sessions but I have had all I can take at this point.

After sleeping on it I have decided to wait and let the strings continue to stretch before hacking up the bridge.  It is starting to stay in tune and doesn't sound near as bad as I thought.  It still needs to be changed to have accurate intonation but I am going to wait and think about the options that may be available to remedy the situation before diving in.
Dominator

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #52 - Oct 3rd, 2004 at 12:54pm

Thanks Dom for your concern. Life has its twists and turns so I got sidetracked but I'm fine Tongue   I'm glad you've decided to see how the strings settle in- with such a nice looking uke I'd hate to starting pulling parts off too. Keep us posted on the progress of the next one, because I know another one will be forthcoming  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

The French polish method with the wrong materials can be difficult or a complete failure. Making very small circles and not getting too wet or letting your cloth get dry and tack is the key -easier said than done in some cases.

I think it's a keeper even if it's a little off in intonation. Like you have obviously decided. Sleep on it, play with it, let the strings settle an when you're not thinking you're ready to toss it out the window, then and only then make the correction and get it right, otherwise you'll just frustrate yourself.

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #53 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 7:42pm

Wow Jesse that's some link! Thanks for sharing that great info!! I like cheap and easy, make life sweet sometimes doesnt it . Wink

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

Dale Schroeder

Maker of fine sawdust

Seattle, WA
Reply #54 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 4:25am

Dominator,

I just saw your tenor uke, nice job I love that curl in the walnut.  Sorry to hear about the intonation, you do have some options. You could redo the fretboard , That may be more work than working on the saddle but it's probably easier to remove.  At any rate I hope it all works out for you.  A couple of weeks ago I blew out a nice koa side on my bender so I'm a little behind on my uke, but I'll post some pics in a couple of months. 8)

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #55 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 7:30am

Thanks Dale,
You know the more I play it the more I may not even change it.  I thought it was much worse than it is when the strings were still stretching a lot.  I am an aggressive player and am finding that when I play up the neck the chords don't sound that bad.  They may be a bit flat but I don't hear it.  Especially, if playing with a bit of vibrato.  The open C is a tad off but not enough at this point to tear into it.  My playing style makes chords up the neck sound sharp on my Fluke and it has good intonation.  It is nice to have the chords not be so sharp.  I think I will chalk it up to experience and look forward to number 002.

Sorry to hear about the side blowout.  Keep us posted on your progress.
Dominator

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #56 - Oct 11th, 2004 at 12:11pm

Wowza! and aloha all....congradulations to Dominator and the HapaKid...eh Jesse...great lookin instruments. Think its cool that you have already figured out what is a tad bit off and aint that the point of building? Make a mistake, learn, correct it and move on which will make yer next one mo bettah! Love the bass and weedwhacker strrings...I'm all for experimentation and a bit of creative substitutions I guess we all can't lose sight of the fact that this building Jones is just a way cool fun trippy passion and den it plays for you at your beck and call! Bonus!

People at one point in time I will learn as my man Moonpie has, how to take a photo...transfer it to the computer and post it on this site...my pineapple series is complete and they came out right nice, so i hope to post these photos one day in the not too distant future!

Am working on a tenor sized cutaway pineapple with a extended neck...using a scale length of about 592 centimeters...kinda like 23 and 5/16th inch...yup should shoot outside the tenor case by a few strong inches and then some! Building a 24 fret 2 octave cutaway uke with the fret spacing when reaching the 20 fret and beyond range will be a  tad larger than any other shorter scale will get me so me fingers can actually fit into the fret spacings!   The neck connection will be at the 18th fret and the 24th fret will just be at the end of the cutaway....got this puppy rope bound and boxed..fingerboard is radiused and attached and should be pau with construction by mid month and then.....many mo moons for the finish!....till then laters all....ukeman

IP Logged

kingkimo64

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #57 - Oct 11th, 2004 at 1:26pm

Shoot Big Uke you build that uke ya better git pictures man.And i would love to see blue prints of that puppy.Till then good luck good eyeballs and good hands.
                               Peace from da east
                                                  King Moonpie
                                                           James

IP Logged

Dale Schroeder

Maker of fine sawdust

Seattle, WA
Reply #58 - Jan 9th, 2005 at 6:49am

I finally finished by kasha style uke.  Here are a couple of pics.  Does that sideport hole size seem about right ukeman?  I was just guessing, I didn't have anything to measure the sound voulme.  Sounds pretty good I think, I posted a sound file on my homepage if anyone wants to hear a scratchy recording of some crude ukulele playing Wink

I made the sides out of mahagony after I broke my nice koa sides in the bending process. Undecided  /http://home.comcast.net/~daleschro/fretboard.jpg

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #59 - Jan 9th, 2005 at 8:23am

Great Job Dale,
Its a shame that you weren't able to use your koa sides Sad.  That back looks sweeet Grin.  Your neck to body joint looks real nice.  What is your process for getting it to mate up?
Dominator

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us