HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Show off your Uke Here! (Read 113514 times)
kingkimo64

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Show off your Uke Here!
Reply #60 - Jan 9th, 2005 at 1:24pm

nice dale i bet it plays great Grin

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #61 - Jan 13th, 2005 at 10:33am

aloha Dale:  Great job! That modified Kasha/Schneider looks sweet. See ya also have a bolt on neck..to boot!

Am always thrilled to see other builders using the K/S modified bracing systems and with  sideport to boot..amazing! I am glad, save for the busted koa side pieces, that this project turned out well. Keep uking!  laters   ukeman

IP Logged

Dale Schroeder

Maker of fine sawdust

Seattle, WA
Reply #62 - Jan 13th, 2005 at 2:49pm

Thanks for the kind comments Dom & King.  I think it sounds pretty good, there are some things I'll do a little differently next time around.  Got many years to go to get close to your level ukeman, but I'll keep trying. Smiley

Dominator, I posted some info on how I do the neck to body joint  under the other forum, since this is mainly just for showning the final results.

Dale

IP Logged

ranapithicus

NW Pennsylvania
Reply #63 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 4:16pm

Aloha from the snows of Pennsylvania!  Here are some pix of the ukulele I just finished, with the help of all the good info on this forum and Hana Lima Ia website.
It was sort of inspired by the old cigar box ukes.  I made it by hand from all scrounged material except I had to buy the strings, fretwire, and tuners.  The body is from a nice old redwood box found in my fathers attic stamped Calfornia Fruit Chest.  It looks like maybe it was used to send fancy fruits for Christmas gifts.  It was fairly thin wood, but I sanded down the top and back down to just under 0.1 with a sanding disk on my drill press.  The neck is carved from a piece of cherry wood scrap I had laying around from making a window seat in my house.  It is bolted through a block on to the body into some nuts epoxyed into the neck heel.  The nut and saddle are carved from an old bone I stole from the dog.  The fingerboard and bridge are made from some kind of hard, heavy tropical wood that my daughters boyfriend picked up in Costa Rica.  The bracing inside the top and back was split out from some spruce house framing lumber.  Finished with spray-on lacquer.  Its not fancy, but it sounds very nice, mellow but loud and well balanced.  This is the first stringed instrument Ive ever built.  I couldnt have done it without all the helpful tips and information from you all.  Thanks!

Frogman.

IP Logged

Road_Toad

Eh brah, da buggah flat!

Kalyfoonya
Reply #64 - Jan 25th, 2005 at 6:02pm

Too cool. I used those dry fruit boxes for bug collections way back when and was thinking they could make a cool uke. Glad it sounds good. I may use one for a sound box for my bass uke experiments.

Owen

IP Logged

ranapithicus

NW Pennsylvania
Reply #65 - Jan 27th, 2005 at 2:03pm

yes, I would recommend it for a bass uke- mine in the picture is a tenor, 17" scale length.  The box was a little bigger than I wanted, at 7.5" wide x 13" long,  but I didn't want to shorten it.  It does seem to have a strong bass response.

frogman

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #66 - Jan 28th, 2005 at 11:22am

aloha ranapithicus!  is rana something to do with frogs! Or am i now part of that Pennsylvania tribe that all humanoids are descended from? Just  glad I made it to Hawaii (end of story)  Hey guy, love your flagrant and ono (tasty) use of found and special items for your first uke project. To me this stuff makes your creation even more special, I think its way cool to incorporate stuff that have other uses, anyhow keeps the left grey matter from too much infringement on the right!Is this a start of a fruit box uke collection? Will the next series feature removeable lids? Are we in for the fruit box uke of the month collectors editions?

Mahalo for the pictures...way cool. laters  ukeman

IP Logged

ranapithicus

NW Pennsylvania
Reply #67 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 3:00pm

aloha ukeman da big uke -
Hey, maybe if someone sent me a box of pineapples, I could make a pineapple uke!   I say use what you find to make music, and the music will sound better and closer to the earth. 

Yes, rana is latin for frog, but I don't think I'll be making a frog-skin uke.  I'll just sing and play for them in the spring.

Frogman   Grin

IP Logged

murray

Reply #68 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 2:31pm

Hello everyone,

Here is my first Uke. It's a Kasha Concert, made out of mahogany, with an ebony fretboard and bridge. This is the first wood working project that I've done in years and my first attempt at making a musical instrument. My Uke teacher is very impressed with the sound and thinks that I should have it evaluated by a professional. I couldn't have done it without the help of Mike, Asa and everyone here at the message board. Mahalo to all!!

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2008 at 10:30pm by Hana Lima Ia »  

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #69 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 2:55pm

aloha Murray...yer first eh! Great job! Its a sweet lookin little guy....so  congradulations...I am also glad your uke teacher likes the sound as well...thats mucho important...love to see your next attempt and am super glad you are playing with the Kasha modified designs...laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #70 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 7:11am

This is my second tenor from scratch.  It is a mahogany parts kit from right here at Hanalima Ia.  I got it off Ebay over a year ago or so and decided to put it to use.  Thank you Asa.

Here are some particulars:
Unbound Mahogany tenor
18” long scale (joined at 14th fret)
Fretboard and bridge – Rosewood
Fret markers – 5mm Gold MOP
Width at nut – 1 ½”
Width at 14th fret – 1 ¾”
Width at upper bout – 6 7/8”
Width at lower bout – 8 ½”
Finish – Laquer
Tuners – Geared Gotoh Mini – Gold w/Amber buttons
Nut and saddle material – Corian
Strings – Ko’olau Gold – Low G

This uke has a lower/warmer tone than my other tenors.  I am not particularly happy with the sound of the Ko’olau Golds.  The low G is pretty boomy.  I will give the Ko’olau’s a chance to settle in a bit before changing them out.  But I think I will need to experiment with a few different brands to find what will be most suited for this instrument.  I will be bringing this one to the Exhibition next month.
Here are a couple of pics.
Dominator

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #71 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 1:55pm

Aloha Dominator.

Gosh great job..just like your transcriptions!
I love the way ya put the whole uke together and added design components and application to suit your taste. Ono bridge design!

So congrats are in order and onward and onto yer next project! I'm sure there are modifications that are now spinning in your head!

Laters ukeman..i still play Song For Anna...like you transcribed it! mahalo

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #72 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 4:29pm

Aloha Ukeman,
I haven't been visiting here much lately and decided to pop in and just saw your last post.

I wish I would have thought to show this to you at the UGH.  There is a funny story behind why I thought it was sounding so boomy and that I didn't care for the Golds.  I had used dual stick tape to hold a clamping caul to the soundboard when clamping on the fretboard.  Next day when I removed the clamps I forgot about it and it stayed stuck to the top.  I couldn't figure out why it wasn't projecting  Sad

I had Mike DaSilva take a look at it at one of my gigs and he felt around inside and found the clamping caul.  I had to use a screwdriver to get it out and the uke came alive. 

I really thinned the plates too much and slightly underbraced it.  It has developed a dip in front of the bridge but it seems to have stabilized and didn't raise the action or effect the intonation, yet anyway.  Norman noticed it right away when it looked at it at the exhibition.

Getting ready to start a couple more tenors as soon as it warms up just a bit.  Also awaiting the availability of your soprano plan, Hint Hint. Smiley
Aloha,
Dominator

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #73 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 1:35pm

Yo Dominator...egads sounds like Barbara Walterts on 60 Minutes relating the perils of surgical mishaps like leaving forcepts, sponges and gloves in the wound and then closing up that sucker!

Actually a great story line..would of also been unreal if said caul had created an awesome projection in said uke...try chasing that!

Good practice in soundboard tops is to thin the perimeters on a taper but keep the center mass of the soundboard with some stiffness and mass to prevent distortion! Elsewise a bit more height on the interior bracings!

Will whisper at a loud volumne in Asa's ear...to get with the soprano plan shapes...ok  later then

ukeman

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #74 - Nov 25th, 2006 at 6:28pm

Aloha,
I spent the Thanksgiving break completing the two tenors I’ve been working on.  I strung the spruce top up yesterday and the mahogany tenor today.  From an internal construction standpoint the ukes are braced with the same fan- bracing scheme (3 fans).  Though the mahogany is remarkably more resonant and balanced than my first one the spruce top is a cannon.  It is significantly louder but maintains clarity whether finger picking or strumming aggressively.  I’m stoked; this is such a rewarding process.

The mahogany was supposed to be for my high school buddy from Colorado but every time I sent progress pictures of both ukes he always would comment “hey, that’s my uke on the left, (the spruce top with figured walnut back and sides) right?”  So when we got back from Hawaii I told him, before I even finished the ukes, that if he wanted the spruce top he could have it and that I would probably put the mahogany on Ebay to generate funds for some needed tools and other accessories.   He has chosen the spruce top so that’s the one he will get.  It will be tough to part with it but Pete Howlett was kind enough to send me some really special curly walnut and a really sweet spruce top to make another.

Here are a few pics.  The finish is True-Oil.  This is the first time I used it.  I like it but it’s a little on the glossy side for my taste.  I didn’t use pore filler so buffing it out to a satin finish was not an option.  Though not as dramatic as the walnut, the mahogany also has some nice rays and flecks in the grain that the pics don’t quite do justice.

Thanks to Asa for the extra nice mahogany.

I strung them both with Worth Clears.  They are still settling in but I plan to record some head on comparisons and post them in the next few days.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us