HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jon Y's Rosette Cutter and misc jigs (Read 2074 times)
RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Jon Y's Rosette Cutter and misc jigs
May 2nd, 2004 at 7:14pm

Here is Jons Rosette Cutter pics. Thanks Jon! I changed the order so you could follow the pictures progressivley with the cutting that's depicted. Jon, the description of what and how it works is all up to you Cheesy

Thanks Hana Lima 'Ia and Asa!
WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Re: Jon Y's Rosette Cutter and misc jigs
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2004 at 9:41am

Jon and RCHI,
I'm curious what kind of glue is used for plexiglass? Do you have to know what type of plastic it is before choosing a glue?
Thanks. Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2004 at 3:07pm

There IS a specific glue for plexiglass, I can't recall the name havent used it in a while. I know that it's a solvent which actually melts the acrylic.

When it's applied it softens the sheet and forms a bond after it evaporated. I would start looking for the glue in hobby shops or the local acrylic distributor.

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

grasshopper

Mililani, Hawaii
Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2004 at 4:18pm

Hey Guys,

Its made by IPS corporation and is called "Weld-on 4", which is made for joining acrylics.  It works wonders with plexiglass.  Make sure when you stuck the pieces together that you got it in exactly the right place cause there is almost no repositioning time with this.  I guess you could postion pieces first and wick it in too.  Comes in a small can similar to the cans used for PVC pipe primer (the purple primer).  Its a liquid so probably best to have a small glass eyedropper to squirt it in the right place.  There are probably other types too, but this one works pretty good for plastics.  Used it to repair plastic knob on my stove too.   Grin

Later,
gh

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #4 - May 4th, 2004 at 4:56am

Mahalo Grasshopper. I'm sure there's other names, but that works for starters! A syringe from the local wood shop works wonders as well!

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

msrvfx

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Portland, Oregon
Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 12:55pm

Roll Eyes
I have worked with plex a lot, and if you go to a plastics supplier you'll find two types, a liguid and apaste like considtancy. If you want a very close fit use the liquid solvent. the chemical is called methalene chloride (MC). Don't sniff it iff oyu want ot keep brain, lung, kidney and liver cells intact. Most people buy a syringe and file the tip to a blunt tip, and suck up the MC, then squeeze out just as much as tehy want, where they want. It is an almost instantaneous bond, so have it lined up right. the MC has a "capillary action", meaning it will run and follow angles and cracks, so that's a good place to apply it.
And finally, as with all thinks important...if you haven't done it before, practice on a test piece fist.

Mark in Portland

http://www.myspace.com/msrvfx http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1543208653  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us