HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Carbon Fiber Rod (Read 5808 times)
killin5

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Carbon Fiber Rod
Aug 3rd, 2004 at 9:32am

One of the features I have noticed on many ukulele builder’s provide is a carbon fiber reinforcement rod in the neck.

How necessary is this on a tenor uke? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

On a Spanish style neck, where exactly do you place the rod? Does it go from the nut all the way through the heal? Or do you stop at the neck joint?

What is the best size rod stock to buy?

I’m about to place an order with Stewart MacDonald and if this is one of those small items that I should be using, I should probably pick one up in this order.

Thanks,
John

IP Logged

John_Mayes

Re: Carbon Fiber Rod
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2004 at 10:38am

Yes, yes and yes.  Use it.  It stiffens the neck considerably which will help longevity as well as tone.  On my ukes that have 5 piece necks it is not nessicary (although I still do it) as I can stand on the neck where the nut is and it will no budge..they are that strong, but on a mahogany neck over time the tension of the string will pull the neck forward and cause action, tone, intonation issues.  So YES by all means use one.

IP Logged

killin5

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2004 at 5:56am

I received my carbon fiber rod from Stewart MacDonald yesterday. So now that I have decided to use it. I am wondering about placement.

Where exactly do you start and stop with the rod on a Spanish style neck? Do you go under the nut? Do you go through the Web? Or do you stop before the web?

Thanks for the advice.

John

IP Logged

John_Mayes

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2004 at 11:03am

just put it right down the middle.  As long as you give yourself enough clearance under the rod then you can take it under the nut and out the face of the peghead.  And I would let it run all the way to the end of the neck.

IP Logged

John_Mayes

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2004 at 11:04am

if nothing else start it about a inch away from the nut and run it to the end of the neck.

IP Logged

killin5

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2004 at 11:40am

I just installed the rod. I cut a channel through the entire length of the neck with my table saw. It worked out really well.

I have the heal carved, cut the table/shelf for the soundboard and just glued on the headpiece veneer.

Next I will be shaping the headpiece and cutting my bracing.

Thanks for the advice on installing the rod. I think it will be a good piece of insurance.

Johh

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2004 at 11:58am

John,
Did you already have the scarf joint cut and glued on for your 15 degree taper before cutting your groove?  Got any photos of the process?
Thanks,
Dominator

IP Logged

John_Mayes

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2004 at 1:07pm

I don't scarf joint.  I use one piece necks.  More expensive to do that way but I like the look much better.  And the other style I use is a 5 piece neck.  Much more expensive (about $50 per neck in materials) but VERY stiff and really cool looking.  I don't put carbon in these necks anymore as they are stiff enough on their own.  Sorry no pics..., but on my one piece necks I cut the neck reinforcement bar channel after the blank has been cut out.

IP Logged

killin5

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2004 at 6:55am

When I installed the rod in my neck, I did have the scarf joint cut. I also had the heal block glued together and had slotted the grooves in the heal for the Spanish style joint. I had also glued the ears on the headstock.

To cut the groove:
    • I drew a centerline.
    • I marked the width of the groove and set the rip fence on my table saw to cut to one side. Since I had already glued the ears on, I used a spacer in between the neck shaft and the rip fence.
    • I set the depth of the blade to be as close to the thickness of the rod as I could get. I actually made the grove just a bit shallow.
    • I then ran the entire length of the neck through from the heal block to the headstock.
    • Then I adjusted the rip fence so that the blade would cut the remaining section of the grove and ran the neck through again.

The channel came out just a bit crooked due to some sanding I did to the neck shaft after I glued the scarf joint. I think that if I had had the table saw from the beginning, the stock would have been straight and the channel would have been straight as well.

On my next neck I will install the ears after I have done the basic milling on the neck.

As I mentioned earlier, I cut the channel just a bit shallow. I was using the “it is much easier to take away wood than add it back” theory. To get the channel to the final dept. I glued some sandpaper to the rod, clamped it to my workbench and ran the neck over the rod until I had sanded the groove to the proper depth.

I do have some photos, but I don’t have a website to post them to.

John
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2004 at 5:18pm by killin5 »  

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2004 at 12:01pm

Hey John,
Thanks for the info.  You can post your pics right here but I am not sure if you can do it without having some space in cyberdum to place them.  RC Hawaii is the guru when it comes to this sort of stuff.  Maybe he will chime in and straighten us out.  How bout it RC?
Dominator

IP Logged

killin5

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2004 at 5:16pm

I have to apologize for these photos being blurry. I will have to work harder at holding the camera steady.

This photo shows the channel I cut on my table saw.

Here is the rod laid out in the channel.

I cut the angle of the neck and the shelf. I then sanded them flush.

This is the first time I have installed one of these rods. Actually this is the first neck I have built, so there may be better ways to do this. All in all, using the table saw, this turned out being easier than I thought.

Oh, and thanks RC Hawaii for the photo web space.

John

IP Logged

Rick

Portland Oregon
Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2004 at 6:42pm

Hi -
I'm working on my second uke neck using a carbon rod. I follow the same process, but used a laminate trimmer to route the slot for the rod. I'm using a 1/8 x 3/8 rod from StewMac and routing the slot just a hair deeper than 3/8 rod so It will sit flush with the neck.
Rick

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2004 at 7:07pm

See John,
I new RC would fix you up.  I had forgotten about his post in the Recent News section of this forum about him providing space for forum members to post their pics.
Thanks again RC.

John, It looks like your rod is wider than Rick's.  What size did you use?
Dominator

IP Logged

killin5

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 10:51am

Dominator,

I used the Stewart MacDonald #4400 rod. It measures 0.200" x 1/4" x 24" length. I figured for a few dollars more the 24 inch length would give me enough for my next uke.

The rod is thicker that the 1/8” x 3/8” rod. I chose it because it could be set 1/8th of an inch shallower than the thinner rod.

John

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 5:23pm

Thanks for the info John.  I am on my first tenor.  Actually almost finished but the day job just keeps getting in the way.  I didn't put any rod in mine.  We'll see how she holds up.
Dominator

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us