HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cutaways and Baritones (Read 3014 times)
RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Cutaways and Baritones
Aug 5th, 2004 at 12:14pm

I was curious here as a fiend is looking for one (Cutaway Bari) Uke. They seem so rare and hard to find. I have only seen a select few. Does anyone with building experience have a reason for this, are they inherently harder to build/play/ not as popular for any particular reason? Inquiring minds wanna know !

Thanks Hana Lima 'Ia and Asa!
WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Re: Cutaways and Baritones
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 2:12am

Come on ukeman. . . I saw your Baritone Cutaway Uke on the links Wink What gives are they decidedly harder to make, hence so much rarer and expensive? If anyone knows a good source for one on the cheap I'd sure like to know!

Also...with the sound hole ported to the upper bout, how is the sound, more for the player than the audience?

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 10:56am

Hi RC,
Baritones have been popular off and on over the years, but most players prefer tenors, and sopranos are most common because they're cheap to make.   Baritones were wildly popular 50 years ago thanks to Arthur Godfrey, but haven't had many popular proponents since then.  They are very guitar-like in tuning and sound, so I don't think many guitarists are tempted to switch over.  Hearing Iz play a tenor, I knew I had to have one.  Now I have six.
My two cents,
Jesse Tinsley

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2004 at 12:42pm

Aloha all!,

I got me a stash of 5 or 6 baritones over the last five years or so! Two of them are cutaways and the rest are normal baritones! The sound of baritones are just so mellow and sweet...the epitome of the term nahenahe, so i for one love these big guys!

Building the baritones are no more difficult than making the tenors as the curves are now less pronounced and bending is relatively quite easy. Yup the materials will cost a bit more due to the size but other than that no real unforeseen problems. The longer 20 plus scale makes fingering a snap and a pleasure to play.

A baritone cutaway is actually easier than a  tenor cutaway to construct as the cutaway bends are less severe...modify the standard bending form by adding the cutaway space design and a accurate placement of an additional dowel to pull in the cutaway material is all ya need to get started. A compression sheet of thin aluminum flashing placed over the cutaway side as you bend will really help to keep away the blow out blues!

Bend your normal baritone sides and for the cutaway side ribs just bend the waist and the lower bout....wen pau place these ribs one at a time in the altered baritone cutaway bender form....cinch down the waist and lower bout and now work only on the cutaway portion. I find this method works for me..Whether you use a heat blanket or a hot pipe the added compression flashing is a must.

I also always add a carbon fiber 1/4 by 1/4 inch stiffener in my uke necks...so these baritones got the stiffners in em and i worry less about neck problems without the stiffeners. Best to work on the safe side and lean toward stability. Gee i will post some pictures of my baritones someday...tho  I need to learn how to post the pictures via this infernal computer first!I can use a digital...jes no can post the pictures...yup am totally computer challenged.....later   ukeman

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2004 at 4:58am

Hey ukeman, try going here to upload pictures. I created a photo album here for
all
Hana Lima users. No worry, it's free-and I get an email when pictures are added so you dont have to do anything but add them, and we can all look at whatever anyone here uploads to the album.

Good information about the cutaway build Thanks for that!

http://imagestation.com

Login: hanalima
Password: mysite

And upload away!

The only request I have is for no-one to delete pictures or make a bunch of albums if they can help it Cheesy Less work for all of us dat way.

Don't click on "remember me" on the bottom folks.

I believe this link will permit anyone to view the album.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4285953179&code=11237906&mode=invite&cmp=E...

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2004 at 11:47am

Aloha RC.....way cool....especially for me am truly computer challenged so this is nice. Now all i need is to retrieve the memory card from my younger son and have him download the pictures on my computer so i in turn can gewt em on your new site...or is that how it works? Anyway...will see if i can get some photos soon. Am awaiting a new computer too! So hopefully soon....mahalo for the site!    ukeman

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2004 at 7:43pm

Yep- basically if they're on your computer (even on the A: drive) you should be able to click, pick, upload and share basically. And I'm glad to help. When you need to tell someone where they are, just tell them go to the album on the second link for the picture.

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2004 at 12:29pm

aloha guys..ok the third annual ukulele exhibition and conference is now over and i am almost back to a normal work day...we be fo sure after the Thanksgiving weekend! Ergo I will do my utmost best to get some pictures posted of :

my baritone series
the new long neck (giraffe) tenor pineapple cutaways
my concert pineapple series
and a new universal saddle set-up

will bring my camera to work tommorrow and do this picture stuff and have my son load photos on to the computer....yeah right...we all know the line   "honey the check is in the mail"     laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2005 at 11:41am

yeah, yeah promises, promises...its now been choke many moons and i still have not learned how to fool with the digital camera and load to my computer and post pictures...Yes I do have a digital,  a right nice Canon, a right nicer Olympus. I am mentally challenged ergo some times i tke pictures and its no pictures but a half ass movie...I then took pictures of some neat uke stuff and the focus was way off...needed to be on the macro mode...my attention span is near nil so as we speak camera is at the ready, charged and accessable..I even bought a special device so that i just need stick the memory card in a slot and poof its in the computer, but the macro mode still eludes me!

RC...on a cutaway baritone project as we speak...2 of em so ifn you like check it out and you can see the moulds and bender at me shop....been a long while....laters  ukeman

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2005 at 2:56am

Aloha yes it has been. I'll make a feeble attempt at stopping by, been crabbing and fishing alot lately.  Sounds interesting Cheesy:D get those pics online Wink

WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us