Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
safety (Read 1989 times)
Wai91140

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Lakewood, WA.
safety
Oct 1st, 2004 at 6:20pm

???I keep on reading all the message on the forum but one main topic never came up, it's about safety being around equipment and using the tools. I made the mistake by not paying attention to what I was doing and cut the tip of my finger off, so think safety.

Mahalo
                                    wai91140 ???

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: safety
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2004 at 1:06pm

gosh...always feel queasy about hearing of a cutting incident. I guess safety is an issue we should always be aware of: Heres a few tips:

Table saw....use a guard, use a featherboard..wear a face sheild. Never cut anything width wise that is longer than the length of cut. In other words cutting a 1 x 2 x 12 to 11 inches on a table saw is a no no ...a bit of uneven pressure and this scenario is an automatic kickback waiting to happen. Be aware of the table saws power and speed...a flying 2x..kicked back will pentrate deeply into your body....not pretty.

Jointer....beware of slipping off your intended piece when passing over the blades...ergo use a hold down pad with a handle...a finger or palm onto a movin jointer will shred you badly!

The chopsaw...just turn it on and it will force you to pay attention...shit that blade is spinning just in front of you and it will chop.....watch cutting short lengths and especially short lenghts at angles.

Routers and trimmers....always when pau...unplug...store or set router on its side..never blade down. Always keep the blade away from anything when ya plug it in..oftentimes the switch is still on the on position....bad surprise! Always unplug when changing bits.

Best tip:  Got a table saw...buy a table saw book...and read it...All  tools should have a corresponding book on your shelf..then you can learn machjine setup and fine tuning so each tool works at its optimum.

Same thnking for every handtool...a sharpening how to is a must....and you will find sharpness will aid efficiency and ease of work!

anyhow....just my take on Safety...laters  ukeman

IP Logged

RCHawaii
Big Uke

Malama Pono Ukelele !!

Ewa
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2004 at 8:11pm

Sorry about your mishap-but I agree! Lets keep our fingers and heads on str8 folks.

My grandfather told me a long time ago, a sharp knife is way better than a dull one- dull one leaves all kinds of mess. When it's sharp it does the job rite the first time. Kinda like a dull mind eh...

Thanks Hana Lima 'Ia and Asa!
WWW RadioControlUSA  
IP Logged

David

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2005 at 6:04pm

GrinAloha,
           Jan.2005 wow where did the time go. A new year is upon us and after a short rest,here we go again diving into making our ukuleles.
          SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY lets all practice this religously. Some times we have to go back to the basics and stop and think what we're doing. Sounds easy but lets try . 
          If ya sanding....dust mask?
           If ya using a table saw, band saw... yup eye protection, and such.
OK you get my drift, lets all have a safe new years.

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2005 at 8:18am

Mahalo David,
Thanks for getting things started for the New Year regarding safety.  I think we should bump this thread to the top every now and then just to keep us all in check.  I am hoping to start #2 in a month or so.
Dominator

IP Logged

Dominator
Junior Uke

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2005 at 9:12am

Here's that little bump I was talking about. Smiley
Hope everyone is having incident free building.

IP Logged

david

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2005 at 5:24pm

Grin   YEP, so far so good, no accidents, so keep your fingers in and your goggles on. see you all at the Nov.2005 Exhibition and conference show.   8)

IP Logged

Ukeman

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2005 at 10:54am

Aloha All!   A parting comment via experience on simple tool protection and safety. Do not forget ear muffs and safety goggles. My actual background in woodworking as a general contractor and owner of Mokihana Builders and a steadfast old school macho idiot..previous to my current instrument making career; gives me firsthand experience of the importance of ear and eye protection. While I have all my digits and do use safety hold-downs, push sticks and machinery aids I did not bother with ear protection. So now I have lost the high range frequencies...lost and gone forever! Ergo, while still not versed in the habit of always using ear protection, I am getting better....we live in a high decibel world ergo my advice is to buy and WEAR ear protection when working with machinery.......laters  ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us