Send Topic Print
neck wood (Read 892 times)
hapakid
Junior Uke

I love island music!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
neck wood
Dec 26th, 2004 at 7:15pm

I've built a few ukes, all with mahogany necks. I now have some Goncalo alves that I would like to use for a set of sides.  Has anyone used this wood for tone wood before? It's kind of like rosewood, but redder, with black streaks.
I also received, as a gift, some maple that would work for a uke neck, but I wonder if it's too heavy and hard, or unnecessarily hard, for a uke neck.
And I have a piece of clear yellow cedar, which I think is sometimes called Alaskan cypress. Has anyone used this for a neck before?  If so, how does it carve?  It has no visible grain and is yellow/white.  
Jesse Tinsley
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2005 at 7:02am by hapakid »  

IP Logged

Ukeman

Re: neck wood
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 9:40am

yo Jesse

cool that you are playing with alternative woods..my last long neck pineapple "da giraffe" was made with some local Kamani wood...very reddish brown and nice and dense but easy to work with, tho a bit brittle.

For me neck material is usually honduran mahogany or spanish cedar....the wood properties I look for  are stablity as well as stiffness to weight.
Think you an use about anything that has a verifiable history of stabilty...thenyou never have to worry bout a twisted, or bowed neck...ouch!

ok laters   ukeman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Home | About Us | About Classes | Shop Store | Shop Tour | Session Tour | Luthiers Diary | Gallery
Class Schedule | Register | Alumni | Message Board | Tool Tips | Building Tips | Contact Us